Fish clowns

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Clowns only really stay in the back of the tank. My heater is right back behind the wall. Could this be the reason? They are eating and I got them 5 days ago!

image.jpg

OP
OP
ParkerK

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will host on anything but the thing you want them to host, they are just goofballs
Haha!! But, I was wondering if they would swim more around instead of just staying back there. And also anyone know when I should buy an anemone?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Clowns only really stay in the back of the tank. My heater is right back behind the wall. Could this be the reason? They are eating and I got them 5 days ago!

image.jpg
What type of lighting do you have? Anemones require reasonably strong lighting and a mature tank to thrive. Fortunately clowns do not need one to survive...they can choose anything to use as a host.....even a heater :) Once they become more comfortable they will start using the whole tank.

OP
OP
ParkerK

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of lighting do you have? Anemones require reasonably strong lighting and a mature tank to thrive. Fortunately clowns do not need one to survive...they can choose anything to use as a host.....even a heater :) Once they become more comfortable they will start using the whole tank.
Hahah I’ve had them for a week so I’m sure they’re still adjusting and I’m pretty sure my leather toadstool is adjusting still as well... needs to go faster!!

OP
OP
ParkerK

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And lighting is the standard light that comes built in with the bio cube

Havok1071

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little guys do the same. It’s their safe spot. During the day they will explorer for most of the time. Yours are fine, no worries

image.jpg

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want a guaranteed host you need to buy both proper species such as maroon clowns and bubble tips. My first set of picassos spent years in the corner attacking the top of the tank. At that point I swore off clowns. They died after a couple years. It wasnt until 5 years past I got another pair. They were false Percula and I saw them roll in the bubble tip once. They were social and swan the tank. I just lost them to velvet. My next pair will be maroons. Clowns arent like the movies. They are a very unique species.

SALTYMOPAR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female uses to hang out in the corner of the tank all day long. Until i got an Anemone, luckily my male clown came from a lfs that keep clowns with Anemones. the male found it fairly fast less than 24 hours and was able to show my female the "ways" of the anemone. After she starting hosting she kick out my male so she could have it all to herself the male was left with hosting a rock of GSP it just not the same. I felt bad for him so i cheated a little and feed the anemone twice a week for a 6 weeks the anemone finally had enough energy to split. The male clown is a happy camper now.

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha!! But, I was wondering if they would swim more around instead of just staying back there. And also anyone know when I should buy an anemone?

6 years ago i attempted to add an anemone to my 25g tank at 3 or 4 months. It flipped and crashed the entire tank after a couple weeks.

Back then I had no idea what I was doing. lesson learned. I have a tank thats 2+ months old now and I do not plan on adding an anemone until Christmas time.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An anenome is your only chance. Even then they may just stay there.
If you want a guaranteed host you need to buy both proper species such as maroon clowns and bubble tips. My first set of picassos spent years in the corner attacking the top of the tank. At that point I swore off clowns. They died after a couple years. It wasnt until 5 years past I got another pair. They were false Percula and I saw them roll in the bubble tip once. They were social and swan the tank. I just lost them to velvet. My next pair will be maroons. Clowns arent like the movies. They are a very unique species.
Yes, unique. Require the correct species of anemone. ;)
Here’s my pair!

OP
OP
ParkerK

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 years ago i attempted to add an anemone to my 25g tank at 3 or 4 months. It flipped and crashed the entire tank after a couple weeks.

Back then I had no idea what I was doing. lesson learned. I have a tank thats 2+ months old now and I do not plan on adding an anemone until Christmas time.
Yeah I heard don’t add an anemone until the tank is at least 6 months old!

OP
OP
ParkerK

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female uses to hang out in the corner of the tank all day long. Until i got an Anemone, luckily my male clown came from a lfs that keep clowns with Anemones. the male found it fairly fast less than 24 hours and was able to show my female the "ways" of the anemone. After she starting hosting she kick out my male so she could have it all to herself the male was left with hosting a rock of GSP it just not the same. I felt bad for him so i cheated a little and feed the anemone twice a week for a 6 weeks the anemone finally had enough energy to split. The male clown is a happy camper now.
How old is your tank?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back