Fish compatibility - planning on getting 4 from this list this weekend lfs sale

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
( I posted other thread too soon and I was unable to modify the title of the thread, so i am creating another one)

73g RedSea, currently have Neon Velvet, Clownfish, chromis and flame angel.

I plan to get four more fish from this list and add to QT for a month, let me know if there are any compatibility issues with. thanks.

here is the list

• Sand shifting gobby (golden head goby)
  • Neon, Bi-Color, Purple Dottyback
  • Blue Tang
  • Royal Grama
  • Foxface
  • Yellow tang
  • Anthias
  • Blue Eye Royal BiColor Dottyback
  • Black cap Basslet
  • Blue Chromis
  • Bluestreak cleaner wrasse
  • Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse
  • Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse
  • Mccoskers Flasher Wrasse
  • Scotts Fairy Wrasse
  • Carpenters Flasher Wrasse
  • Tono's Fairy Wrasse

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a couple of the wrasse. I can't speak to the compatibility of all of those you have listed but check the big wrasse thread and you will probably find more info. I have a tono's and a carpenter flasher that get along great but I have a red/pink margin that can be a touch aggressive at times to the tono's.

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Blue tang will eventually outgrow your tank and foxface might outgrow it but I'm no expert

How fast the blue tang and foxface grows, I could find new home at that time if we are talking about years. I feed two (rarely to three) times a day

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a foxface and a blue tang in a 125/6ft tank and they out grew the tank in no more than a year if I remember correctly. foxface grew faster but the blue tang was more aggressive. traded them both for some frags. personally, i didn't like the experience and would not do it again. it was like watching a caged lion pacing at the zoo. just sad.

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a foxface and a blue tang in a 125/6ft tank and they out grew the tank in no more than a year if I remember correctly. foxface grew faster but the blue tang was more aggressive. traded them both for some frags. personally, i didn't like the experience and would not do it again. it was like watching a caged lion pacing at the zoo. just sad.

Thanks for the feedback, dropped getting foxface, still thinking of blue tang becaz we all like it.

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two yellow tangs and while they can be a bit bossy they don't get as large as the blue. they also really pop against a black background. i really like them.

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two yellow tangs and while they can be a bit bossy they don't get as large as the blue. they also really pop against a black background. i really like them.

Yellow tang is something I have interest but not decided yet

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is any other tangs that okay for a while in 73g, I mean for like 3-5 years?

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see that damsel (neon velvet) becoming aggressive as more fish are added. Cleaner wrasse will harass those fish to no end. Both fairy wrasse could have issues, I would stick with the flashers. Is the blue tang atlantic blue tang? They are aggressive and too big for this tank. I would suggest a kole tang instead. I would get either royal gramma or black cap (not both). Black cap is a great fish in my opinion. Never had a dottyback but have read there could be some issue there. Also no experience with anthias, but have read some species are harder than others, so depends on species. Wish I had a flame angel again, but mine liked clams and lps corals too much, had to remove it. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out. Good luck.

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, does Live Aquaria or similar have any iPhone app, it would be helpful while in LFS and find something interesting so i can get details and min requirements.

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see that damsel (neon velvet) becoming aggressive as more fish are added. Cleaner wrasse will harass those fish to no end. Both fairy wrasse could have issues, I would stick with the flashers. Is the blue tang atlantic blue tang? They are aggressive and too big for this tank. I would suggest a kole tang instead. I would get either royal gramma or black cap (not both). Black cap is a great fish in my opinion. Never had a dottyback but have read there could be some issue there. Also no experience with anthias, but have read some species are harder than others, so depends on species. Wish I had a flame angel again, but mine liked clams and lps corals too much, had to remove it. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out. Good luck.

Yes, when my wife looked this fish just 1/2" she liked it and the LFS couldn't catch it at that time, the next time it came in stock just got it and it was 1/2" too, but in 3-4 months its grown faster any other fish in the tank to 1+ inch. Occasionally it shows its aggressive to my blood orange clown hosting bta, but clown pushes them away (at least for now)

Altantic blue tang looks nice, I will check if they have them.
They have carpenter Wrasse, is that something okay?

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 73 gal tank is way too small for an Atlantic blue tang - LA lists the min tank size as 180 gal. For that size tank you really need to stick to the bristletooth tangs - Kole, Tomini, white tail, etc. and then probably only 1. I had an exquisite fairy wrasse in my 75 gal that has been doing fine for 3+ years, he just moved into my 180 gal when I upgraded. I've never owned a Ruby long-fin or red velvet fairy but according to Live Aquaria they should be ok as far as size. I don't know about compatibility but as Tarheel78 said, there is a very detailed article with a chart in the Fish Discussion forum.

LA doesn't have an app that I am aware of but you can go to their site on your phone, lots of good info and tank specifications.

Last edited:
OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback, went to lfs and came back with small blue tang, anthias, purple fire fish, and royal gramma.

Not sure about the type of anthias, its two words I saw on the tank display, started with s and second word start with p (can't even pronounce it, I am the worst) its more like orange/yellow.

All are in QT now, the LFS said they use copper in all their fish tanks, I don't plan to treat with any medication on QT and I hope its okay and thinking like 30+ days.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All four of the fairy wrasses you have listed are among the most aggressive. They would not likely tolerate another fairy wrasse in the tank.

The dottybacks may not allow a wrasse to co-exist and I would not have both of them in the tank if it were me.

I have had two Atlantic Blue tangs and both were very aggressive in a 6 foot tank. Neither would allow another tang/herbivore to be added.

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All four of the fairy wrasses you have listed are among the most aggressive. They would not likely tolerate another fairy wrasse in the tank.

The dottybacks may not allow a wrasse to co-exist and I would not have both of them in the tank if it were me.

I have had two Atlantic Blue tangs and both were very aggressive in a 6 foot tank. Neither would allow another tang/herbivore to be added.

from another thread i read about reef safe wrasses this are the list i picked.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back