Fish dead with velvet but lost in tank

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I’m new here anyway so I didn’t quarantine my nano 13.5 and my clown fish just a little guy died of velvet. It wiped out my whole tank before I could get any copper. See I’m Canadian and only one place sold copper online but because of covid it took so long to show that everything died anyway. So sad. So the little clown died. Problem is can’t find him. Took the rocks and corals out. No idea where it went. I do have a clean up crew. So here’s the problem. I want the tank to go fallow for the 6 weeks before I start all over but If there’s a dead fish in the tank with velvet on it. How do I know when it’s gone and safe? I want to start a new qt tank up in a couple weeks and be ready for when fallow is done. So another question will velvet live and cycle on a dead fish that has broken down?
Thanks everyone

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be stuck in a rock you removed. Could be lunch. At most a few days it will be gone.

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just worried that some of the velvet will still be active on it and I won’t know how long to go fallow for

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will velvet stay active on any remaining fish tissue??

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know your pain, I also suffered velvet, and couldn't get copper. Fortunately a friend of mine had some. This was back in April, and I am STILL waiting on the copper I ordered.

I can't say whether or not velvet will reproduce on a dead fish, however if it was as tiny as my new clown is, a cuc will have it gone within a couple of days at best.

Odds are the clown, if it's body is still around, is jammed into a dark crevice, likely near a filter or powerhead.

If you are really concerned about it, you could leave your corals in the tank to run fallow, and your rock, which by the sounds of it is the only place the corpse could be, could be placed in a separate container to be left fallow as long as you want.

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info there has been no sign of any fish. Been 3 weeks now I’ve decided to go 8 weeks instead of 6 just incase and the fish in my qt tank are in copper

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back