Fish dead within 48 hours

MarineKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I was hoping someone could help me determine what might have happened to my fish. New to Saltwater aquarium but have had freshwater for 20 years. I have a 75 gallon FOWLR tank and within 48 hours almost all of my fish perished. The tank is around 6 months old. My parameters were good salinity 1.025, PH 8.0, Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0, Nitrates: 20. They were doing fine swimming around with no problems. Then my Flame fin tang started losing color and looked really pale and Butterfly fish looked milky white, like a film on scales. Wasnt sure is it was ich then they both perieshed.. Changed 20% of my water after and dosed with Ich Attack. Then today all of fish started perishing 2 wrasse, Coral Beauty, Springer Damsel, and now a percula clown, bubble tip anenome. Some showed signs of white specs or growths near mouth and some had fin damage. I only have one clownfish, lawnmower blenny and firefish (maybe) all not doing great. I lost my entire tank. I also have hermits, a sally foot crab, Saron shrimp, cleaner shrimp and Porcelain crab... who seem to be thriving. So i feel its some sort of fish disease... But seems to be extremely rapid development. Any advice would help... And what should i do before restocking my tank and how long should i wait. Also I did have a Cyano outbreak before, and dosed with Vibrant. a week ago. Thanks for the advice.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello I was hoping someone could help me determine what might have happened to my fish. New to Saltwater aquarium but have had freshwater for 20 years. I have a 75 gallon FOWLR tank and within 48 hours almost all of my fish perished. The tank is around 6 months old. My parameters were good salinity 1.025, PH 8.0, Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0, Nitrates: 20. They were doing fine swimming around with no problems. Then my Flame fin tang started losing color and looked really pale and Butterfly fish looked milky white, like a film on scales. Wasnt sure is it was ich then they both perieshed.. Changed 20% of my water after and dosed with Ich Attack. Then today all of fish started perishing 2 wrasse, Coral Beauty, Springer Damsel, and now a percula clown, bubble tip anenome. Some showed signs of white specs or growths near mouth and some had fin damage. I only have one clownfish, lawnmower blenny and firefish (maybe) all not doing great. I lost my entire tank. I also have hermits, a sally foot crab, Saron shrimp, cleaner shrimp and Porcelain crab... who seem to be thriving. So i feel its some sort of fish disease... But seems to be extremely rapid development. Any advice would help... And what should i do before restocking my tank and how long should i wait. Also I did have a Cyano outbreak before, and dosed with Vibrant. a week ago. Thanks for the advice.
Sorry to hear.
what is age of tank?
How long cycled?
What test kits are you using?

Did you acclimate/introduce fish and for how long?
We’re fish breathing rapidly the last you saw them? May be parasitical with white spots mentioned

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MarineKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear.
what is age of tank?
How long cycled?
What test kits are you using?

Did you acclimate/introduce fish and for how long?
We’re fish breathing rapidly the last you saw them? May be parasitical with white spots mentioned
Thanks... Fish have been doing well for almost 2 months now. The tank was cycled using ATM bacteria and its been almost 6 months since first introduced my clowns (first fish). I use API test kits (because they are way cheaper. Using strips and the Master kit... know its not the best, but nothing alarming before deaths. I acclimated all my fish for about 1-2 hours (drip method). Last fish introduced was 3 weeks ago. (Flame Fin Tang) He/She was doing great. Didnt see any rapid breathing but got very lethargic and wouldnt eat. Did see a few scraping rocks but nothing major. Figured it might be parasitic, biut never seen it happen so rapidly in over 6-7 fish... Hope that helps. I'm sick that happened. Was trying to do everything right. Read up on saltwater tanks/fish/equip for months before starting.

Upvote 0

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks... Fish have been doing well for almost 2 months now. The tank was cycled using ATM bacteria and its been almost 6 months since first introduced my clowns (first fish). I use API test kits (because they are way cheaper. Using strips and the Master kit... know its not the best, but nothing alarming before deaths. I acclimated all my fish for about 1-2 hours (drip method). Last fish introduced was 3 weeks ago. (Flame Fin Tang) He/She was doing great. Didnt see any rapid breathing but got very lethargic and wouldnt eat. Did see a few scraping rocks but nothing major. Figured it might be parasitic, biut never seen it happen so rapidly in over 6-7 fish... Hope that helps. I'm sick that happened. Was trying to do everything right. Read up on saltwater tanks/fish/equip for months before starting.
So the last fish was the first to be sick?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sounds like an Ill fish may have been brought in
API and strips notorious for false readings
Take a water sample to a Trusted LFS that does not use API test kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours
Focus on ammonia-ph-nitrate

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MarineKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have pics?
Sounds like it could be brook based on the “white film” description.
Only Dead pics....a few of my remaining clown

Attachments

• image (6).jpg
    image (6).jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 83
  • image (5).jpg
    image (5).jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 71
  • image (4).jpg
    image (4).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 73
  • image (3).jpg
    image (3).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 71
  • image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 79
  • image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 89
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MarineKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the clown alone I’d say brook.
#fishmedic
Thanks for helping me identify it. How long can should i leave the tank fishless (heaven forbid if they all die) or medicate before I can restock? Also what is best to medicate with? Guess i can try to start a quarantine tank in the future.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for helping me identify it. How long can should i leave the tank fishless (heaven forbid if they all die) or medicate before I can restock? Also what is best to medicate with? Guess i can try to start a quarantine tank in the future.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

This is unlikely to be a water quality issue since as you pointed out, the inverts are all fine. It came on pretty fast to be Brooklynella. I didn’t see any mention of respiration rates, but if the fish were breathing fast, I would say this is velvet, Amyloodinium.
Jay

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s also possible you could be dealing with more than one illness. That happened to me once. One fish came in with ich, the others got brook and velvet. To be safe, I did a 90 day fallow to eliminate anything. So it could be in your best interest to treat and fallow for general protozoan sicknesses, that way you don’t find yourself with an unfortunate surprise.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MarineKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

This is unlikely to be a water quality issue since as you pointed out, the inverts are all fine. It came on pretty fast to be Brooklynella. I didn’t see any mention of respiration rates, but if the fish were breathing fast, I would say this is velvet, Amyloodinium.
Jay
The fish didn't seem to be gasping for air or breathing fast, until they were within like 20 min of death. Then went through the death throws. But they did have loss of appetite and very lethargic.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MarineKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay
Also didnt really notice any gold or brown coloring on fish... just like a mucous film over them and the eyes of some.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back