OP
Acros

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would love to have a Pygmy perchlet and a six line wrasse in the 25g tank. I think they should each be able to hold their ground or fight to death. Tail spot blenny is also of interest, but I don’t think I have enough space for all 3.

Jordan92595

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a blue tuxedo urchin to eat the algae. Within 18 hours, my clownfish pair is dead (only fish in the tank). They have been in the tank for close to 2 months.

When I added the urchin, my fish started to freak out and tried burying themselves in the sand. I found one of my clownfish dead in the overflow, and the other one dead wedged headfirst in a hole in my rocks.

A week after I lost the clowns, I added a scooter dragonet. He was picking at my sand and rocks. I added a bottle of reef nutrition trigger pods after adding the fish to re-seed my pod population. The initial seeding was about two months back, and I feed live phyto every day.

Anyway, the dragonet is dead within 48 hours. I could not spot any signs of disease on the fish.

Notes:
  • I stupidly added some water from the first store into my tank while acclimating the urchin.
  • My SPS is all doing good and showing decent growth.
  • No sign that the fish was eaten by anything in the tank.
  • Other tank inhabitants - 4 * Trochus snails, 1 * Blue tuxedo urchin, any hitchhiker from 20lbs gulf live rock.
  • I did not quarantine any of the fish.
  • Salinity - 1.026
  • Alk - 8.7
  • Ammonia - 0
  • Nitrite - 0
  • Nitrate ~ 0
  • Phosphate - 0.012
  • Tank age - 2 months
  • Size - 25 gallon

I appreciate all the help I can get. Should I go fallow for 45 days?

IMG_1236.jpg

The dragonet. It died with its mouth open.

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg
I would lower your salt.. you want to be in a perfect world around 1.04 to 1.06 so get your tank full and bring the salt to 1.04 this way when you loose water to evaporation your lessening the gallon ratio to your salt quantity . Which will raise your levels.
If you start your tank full at 1.06 the. When you loose water you can bring that to 1.07 and so on . Which will start burning your fishes gills and have some negative affects on your coral growth.
Just my input

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a blue tuxedo urchin to eat the algae. Within 18 hours, my clownfish pair is dead (only fish in the tank). They have been in the tank for close to 2 months.

When I added the urchin, my fish started to freak out and tried burying themselves in the sand. I found one of my clownfish dead in the overflow, and the other one dead wedged headfirst in a hole in my rocks.

A week after I lost the clowns, I added a scooter dragonet. He was picking at my sand and rocks. I added a bottle of reef nutrition trigger pods after adding the fish to re-seed my pod population. The initial seeding was about two months back, and I feed live phyto every day.

Anyway, the dragonet is dead within 48 hours. I could not spot any signs of disease on the fish.

Notes:
  • I stupidly added some water from the first store into my tank while acclimating the urchin.
  • Other tank inhabitants - 4 * Trochus snails, 1 * Blue tuxedo urchin, any hitchhiker from 20lbs gulf live rock.
  • Salinity - 1.026
  • Alk - 8.7
  • Ammonia - 0
  • Nitrite - 0
  • Nitrate ~ 0
  • Phosphate - 0.012
  • Tank age - 2 months
  • Size - 25 gallon

IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

Notes:
  • Salinity - 1.026
  • Alk - 8.7
  • Ammonia - 0
  • Nitrite - 0
  • Nitrate ~ 0
  • Phosphate - 0.012
  • Tank age - 2 months
  • Size - 25 gallon

IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg
I wonder if the adding of the urchin was just a "red herring". I've rarely had fish die from shock/stress if they weren't compromised in some other fashion. For example, I was photographing an African angelfish while it was in quarantine and it literally keeled over and died from the stress of the flash...but it turns out it had internal nematodes that caused it to be "shocky".

The dragonet is way too skinny to survive, even if it was eating. When fish starve, they utilize their liver as energy, and even if they feed again, they are toast. Here is another possibility though: fish can dehydrate and look skinny like that from a salinity increase. Many stores keep their fish at a specific gravity of 1.020, or even lower. Many home aquariums are up around 1.025. You cannot acclimate a small fish like that from that low to that high without the water flooding out of its tissues...you need to gradually raise the specific gravity over a couple of days.

As to needing to let the tank lay fallow or not - yes, there is a risk in not doing that. However, if you don't have, or don't intend to get, a quarantine tank, I really wouldn't bother, since the next fish you get have the same potential of bringing a disease into the tank.

Jay

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Signs of the disease are more apparent this time. Is this ich or velvet? Death was within 48 hours of adding to the tank.

IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_1265.jpg
That fish looks emaciated and in poor conditions as well. Look into the salinity issue I just posted about, that could be the culprit here. If not, they you might want to look for a new dealer, as both the goby and the dragonet look very thin and shouldn't have died within 48 hours like that from any disease they didn't come in with.

Jay

OP
OP
Acros

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I plan on getting a Petco 10g tank and quarantine fish before adding. Lost too many fish the other way.

The clownfish pair was from an LFS. The dragonet and the sharknose goby were from Petco.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never bought a fish from Petco, but I know a number of members here avoid them like the plague (pardon the pun).
Jay
I plan on getting a Petco 10g tank and quarantine fish before adding. Lost too many fish the other way.

The clownfish pair was from an LFS. The dragonet and the sharknose goby were from Petco.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back