FISH DENSITY AND MEDIA

NYBERWASS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first saltwater tank, started about 7 or 8 months ago, is a 250, and my sump holds about another 40. Call it 350. It is fish only. I have one stack of rocks in the center for hiding places, but it's mainly wide open with Caribsea sand. I have eight fish in there. Two large wrasses (about 5 or 6 inches each), one 5 inch hogfish, three juvenile groupers, each under 5 inches, one 7 inch spotted rabbit fish and one sailfin tang. The water only turns over about 4 times per hour, due to limited overflow capacity. Nothing I can do about that. I have at least 20 pounds of marine pure blocks and Siporax media, and plenty of mechanical, which gets cleaned often. When I use my Seachem ammonia test for FREE ammonia, it is always zero, but the total ammonia reading is always very high.
So here is my question: If the cost is not a problem, could I just put another 50 pounds of Siporax in the sump? I ask that because I have no idea if too much media in itself can cause problems. Another possible solution is to use a large pressurized cannister filter filled with Siporax circulating from and to the sump to have the effect of greater flow.

So whadayaAllthink?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything that can house beneficial bacteria is never a downside IMO

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When not being utilized they just slow their cunsumption

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back