Fish died 2 hours after getting buying it

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a starry blenny a couple hours ago at my LFS. i floated the fish bag in the tank for like 30 minutes and then i drip acclimated it for about an hour. It did get stuck in the bag for like 10 seconds when i was emptying the water out into my acclimation container. All i have in my tank is a royal gramma. The lights were low. I went outside for 30 minutes.. came back and it was dead.

I hate when animals die. Im really really upset. I know it's bound to happen, but 2 hours after i buy it? Im feeling pretty down right now.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know the salinity of your stores tank versus your tank? Many stores hold their salinity levels low, and moving them into full salinity can be tricky.
Jay

OP
OP
D

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know the salinity of your stores tank versus your tank? Many stores hold their salinity levels low, and moving them into full salinity can be tricky.
Jay
I know mine is 1.025.

Im not sure what their salinity is. Im going to be calling them tomorrow.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know mine is 1.025.

Im not sure what their salinity is. Im going to be calling them tomorrow.
Yes, either the acclimation went awry (too much of a rise) or the fish was sick/weak when you bought it.
Just checking, how long was the trip home with the fish before you started acclimating it?
Jay

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is odd, how is the tank it was going in? Parameter of your tank tested today would be good to know as well

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
preferably all, but for fowlr specifically, Ammonia, nitrate, phosphate, pH, temperature, and salinity.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe acclimated for too long as the ammonia in the bag built up then was exacerbated when you opened to drip acclimate for so long that by the time it went in it was too much?
Someone correct me if I’m wrong on the ammonia build up in the bag.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe acclimated for too long as the ammonia in the bag built up then was exacerbated when you opened to drip acclimate for so long that by the time it went in it was too much?
I think this applies more if they are in the bags shipping days .
not 10-15 mins .
There is something suggesting over night shipping shouldn’t be acclimated long or in the bags as the ammonia will spike after the bag is opened

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see missteps by the OP. He took this fish directly home, did a drip acclimation... I'm with Jay... I suspect the fish was already sick.

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since no one has said it already, consider the temperature drop that may have occurred during drip acclimation. Let’s say the temp in the tank is 78, after an hour of drip acclimation, the bucket could be very low easily depending on other factors such as the temperature in your house, etc. If you throw that fish that is freezing in that cold water into a 78 degree environment, it may have shocked it and killed it. I’d recommend doing a shorter drip acclimation time or buying a small heater to maintain 78 degrees. Sorry for the loss man.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp drop isn’t a factor , unless he lives in Siberia
I seen fish shipped in winter survive a drop to 60 degree water and still make it

and if op dripped correctly. 1 hour is more than enough. How much water did you drip in there. Did the water volume double or triple

I suspect the fish might of been sick when you purchased it

when buying saltwater fish you need to really inspect them and watch how they swim and interact with there tank mates. It’s also a good thing to ask the lfs to feed them for you

if that fish doesn’t attack the food don’t buy it

OP
OP
D

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since no one has said it already, consider the temperature drop that may have occurred during drip acclimation. Let’s say the temp in the tank is 78, after an hour of drip acclimation, the bucket could be very low easily depending on other factors such as the temperature in your house, etc. If you throw that fish that is freezing in that cold water into a 78 degree environment, it may have shocked it and killed it. I’d recommend doing a shorter drip acclimation time or buying a small heater to maintain 78 degrees. Sorry for the loss man.
Except my house wasn't freezing cold. And i specifically turned my ac off and opened my window specifically for that reason. And it was like 75-77 degrees out.

OP
OP
D

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp drop isn’t a factor , unless he lives in Siberia
I seen fish shipped in winter survive a drop to 60 degree water and still make it

and if op dripped correctly. 1 hour is more than enough. How much water did you drip in there. Did the water volume double or triple

I suspect the fish might of been sick when you purchased it

when buying saltwater fish you need to really inspect them and watch how they swim and interact with there tank mates. It’s also a good thing to ask the lfs to feed them for you

if that fish doesn’t attack the food don’t buy it
Im actually from long island as well. I bought the fish at a place called Tropical showcase in Hicksville. Idk if you've heard of it. What if the fish isn't hungry? Do you think it's possible that my royal gramma attacked it when i wasnt in my room? I didn't see any bite marks though

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back