Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I drop my fish for 30 mins and never lost of fish
If they keep it at 1.017 and you keep 1.025
We are not talking about a major difference

30 mins and done. I have 65 fish only lost 1 fish in first week
A blonde naso who I didn’t see eat and was only in the store a few days

I normally wait a month before I buy a fish
If after a month it’s still in fish store and eating. And swimming around and not timid I feel safe adding it to my tank

you might say that fish might be gone. Then so be it
And also you shouldn’t bash lfs. They are feeding there familys with that money and just not right

you could of just praised advanced marine without bashing tropical1017 to 1.025 is not a major differe\nce
l1017 to 1.025 is not a major difference ? Thats going from hypo salinity to hypersalinity in a short amount of time. A major swing in any one parameter can cause stress and in many cases, death to both fish and coral.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drop my fish for 30 mins and never lost of fish
If they keep it at 1.017 and you keep 1.025
We are not talking about a major difference

30 mins and done. I have 65 fish only lost 1 fish in first week
A blonde naso who I didn’t see eat and was only in the store a few days

I normally wait a month before I buy a fish
If after a month it’s still in fish store and eating. And swimming around and not timid I feel safe adding it to my tank

you might say that fish might be gone. Then so be it
And also you shouldn’t bash lfs. They are feeding there familys with that money and just not right

you could of just praised advanced marine without bashing tropical
I have to disagree with your statement about not bashing stores. Any store that doesn't treat their animals, whether it's fish, dogs ,cats, hamsters etc., with the best of care deserves to be outed and bashed (and reported if necessary). I don't care if they're a big chain store or a mom/pop shop. I'm not saying anything about the stores mentioned in this thread because I don't know them, I'm speaking in generalities.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not rude to ask them to feed it?

l1017 to 1.025 is not a major difference ? Thats going from hypo salinity to hypersalinity in a short amount of time. A major swing in any one parameter can cause stress and in many cases, death to both fish and coral.
No in a half hour most fish will survive
I have done it over 75 times. Are you telling me it’s not possible

just because you let them drop for 2 hours and it’s successful doesn’t mean it’s the only way to do things

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to disagree with your statement about not bashing stores. Any store that doesn't treat their animals, whether it's fish, dogs ,cats, hamsters etc., with the best of care deserves to be outed and bashed (and reported if necessary). I don't care if they're a big chain store or a mom/pop shop. I'm not saying anything about the stores mentioned in this thread because I don't know them, I'm speaking in generalities.
Be careful with speaking in generalization, because that generally means you might not have all the facts

OP
OP
D

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with speaking in generalization, because that generally means you might not have all the facts
I completely disagree with what you're saying here, sorry. I think you shouldn't base your opinion on a place with one bad experience, but you sound kinda naive. If a pet store isn't treating their animals right they should be outted and reported. End of story.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely disagree with what you're saying here, sorry. I think you shouldn't base your opinion on a place with one bad experience, but you sound kinda naive. If a pet store isn't treating their animals right they should be outted and reported. End of story.
I should just say, I never said the store was that bad, but i personally do agree with you. we should call out the worst of stores and always give an honest opinion

OP
OP
D

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you didn't. I don't think they're that
I should just say, I never said the store was that bad, but i personally do agree with you. we should call out the worst of stores and always give an honest opinion
much
I know you didn't I'm not even talking about tropical showcase anymore. I just mean in general. Because the other guy said you shouldn't talk badly about a store because it's their livelihood.. except if a store is treating animals poorly then idc if it's their livelihood

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the fish survived in your local fish store for many months, they would not of sent you a sick fish, local fish stores rely on repeat customers, maybe some kind of shock during acclimation, temperature change is most common for deaths

OP
OP
D

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the fish survived in your local fish store for many months, they would not of sent you a sick fish, local fish stores rely on repeat customers, maybe some kind of shock during acclimation, temperature change is most common for deaths
No, actually the fish was only in the store less than a week

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No in a half hour most fish will survive
I have done it over 75 times. Are you telling me it’s not possible

just because you let them drop for 2 hours and it’s successful doesn’t mean it’s the only way to do things
While possible, Ive seen too many fall into shock due to poor acclimation over the 35 years in this hobby and the 12 years while owning a full line Pet store. If not short term, there are long term effects in many cases. The only thing floating the bag accomplishes is that it brings the water in the bag closer to the temperature of the water in your tank. We need to be concerned about more than just temperature. The aquarium water chemistry is just as important as the temperature when it comes to acclimating fish.
If your doing this method for most freshwater species you should be ok doing it for an hour or so before introducing the fish to your tank. If you're doing this method on a saltwater invertebrate you may want to take 2 or more hours for the acclimation procedure. Acclimating new fish to your aquarium is a critical step and should not be taken lightly. Getting into the habit of using proper acclimation methods is a good way to ensure your long-term success
The chemical makeup of the water in which the aquatic life is packaged is different from your aquarium water chemistry ( water temperature, pH, and salinity). Aquatic life such as fish, and especially invertebrates (including corals), are very sensitive to even minor changes in water chemistry. The goal of acclimation is to gradually introduce your new aquatic life to the water chemistry found in your aquarium at a controlled rate to avoid distress.
The acclimation process is complete when equilibrium is reached, where the temporary container housing new arrivals shares the same water chemistry as your aquarium, and your new arrival appears adjusted to these conditions. Since different species have varying levels of tolerance, different methodologies are required to control the rate of change experienced during the acclimation process. An hour with floatation of 15 to 25 mins does not offer equalibrium.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always measure the water salinity of the fish you are acclimation. Takes just a minute. Adjust acclimation time if required

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My free guess:

LFS salinity was way-lower than your 1.025, and the fish was already too sickly to handle the large increase without far longer acclimation.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I don't understand you. I didn't mean "generally" in that I have never had experience with bad stores because I have. Some stores
in my area have been such down for these exact reasons. I meant that my comment wasn't targeting the stores mentioned in this thread because I have never dealt with them so I was generalizing, not targeting.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I don't understand you. I didn't mean "generally" in that I have never had experience with bad stores because I have. Some stores
in my area have been such down for these exact reasons. I meant that my comment wasn't targeting the stores mentioned in this thread because I have never dealt with them so I was generalizing, not targeting.
Forget others comments. Waiting to see why this fish died in recipient

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think something must have shocked the fish either
I bought a starry blenny a couple hours ago at my LFS. i floated the fish bag in the tank for like 30 minutes and then i drip acclimated it for about an hour. It did get stuck in the bag for like 10 seconds when i was emptying the water out into my acclimation container. All i have in my tank is a royal gramma. The lights were low. I went outside for 30 minutes.. came back and it was dead.

I hate when animals die. Im really really upset. I know it's bound to happen, but 2 hours after i buy it? Im feeling pretty down right now.
First of all I want to say "so sorry for your loss"! I still get upset when I think about fish I lost especially if I think it was because of something I did wrong.

I just wanted to confirm, did it die in your acclimation tank or when you transferred it to your dt? I reread your post and wasn't quite sure. It sounds like it was after the fish went into your dt.

I sometimes wonder if there is something that I call SFDS (sudden fish death syndrome) because this happened to me yesterday in one of my freshwater tanks. I wasn't acclimating a fish but it happened to one of my fish I have had for awhile. It was perfectly fine in the morning (active, eating, swimming normally) then later that evening I found her dead. I'm still in shock because I can't figure out why. Nothing has changed in that tank for almost a year. The only thing done to the tank is regular maintenance.

The point being maybe you did everything right while acclimating it and for some reason it had something like a heart attack. This is assuming something didn't go awry during the acclimation like ammonia, too rapid a change in parameters, too rapid a change in salinity or the fish wasn't sick to begin with.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem like a troll tbh. Obviously you always know what you're buying. I was excited and i bought it. Unnecessary comment.
You are correct in a way, but more of a a fisher, I am looking for answers to help me grow, I look through everything in this forum and also UK based ultimate reef forum, I see why long term members give short answers to normal/ over populated topics like 'your fish died' .
as individuals we can only offer advice on that basis.
As a rule of thumb for me is if you got time to post it here then you just need someone to talk to, just like me, I answer all that you post and also I ask questions, so if you post it.... your expectations will vary.
So in regards to your comments , yes I am looking around and being honest in my replies/post

This is a pic of my fishless aquarium

Attachments

• IMG20210529202600.jpg
    IMG20210529202600.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 27

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem like a troll tbh. Obviously you always know what you're buying. I was excited and i bought it. Unnecessary comment.
Also something happened between the time you got fish from store and introduction to your aquarium who knows what but we can only assume given the information you provide

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back