Fish died 2 hours after getting buying it

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I know mine is 1.025.

Im not sure what their salinity is. Im going to be calling them tomorrow.
How did you acclimate/introduce it and how long did you acclimate it for?

OP
OP
D

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you acclimate/introduce it and how long did you acclimate it for?
I kept it in the bag for about 30 minutes and let it float with the light off. Then i took it out and drip acclimated it for about an hour. Then i put it in my tank

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im actually from long island as well. I bought the fish at a place called Tropical showcase in Hicksville. Idk if you've heard of it. What if the fish isn't hungry? Do you think it's possible that my royal gramma attacked it when i wasnt in my room? I didn't see any bite marks though
Yes I know the stores. Owners and workers are very knowledgeable and nice guys
But any fish store can have sick fish

there business in importing and selling fish. When you do that amount of volume it’s only inevitable that some fish get sick

And if a fish doesn’t eat do not buy it. Healthy fish are always hungry

OP
OP
D

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I know the stores. Owners and workers are very knowledgeable and nice guys
But any fish store can have sick fish

there business in importing and selling fish. When you do that amount of volume it’s only inevitable that some fish get sick

And if a fish doesn’t eat do not buy it. Healthy fish are always hungry
It's not rude to ask them to feed it?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since no one has said it already, consider the temperature drop that may have occurred during drip acclimation. Let’s say the temp in the tank is 78, after an hour of drip acclimation, the bucket could be very low easily depending on other factors such as the temperature in your house, etc. If you throw that fish that is freezing in that cold water into a 78 degree environment, it may have shocked it and killed it. I’d recommend doing a shorter drip acclimation time or buying a small heater to maintain 78 degrees. Sorry for the loss man.

Im actually from long island as well. I bought the fish at a place called Tropical showcase in Hicksville. Idk if you've heard of it. What if the fish isn't hungry? Do you think it's possible that my royal gramma attacked it when i wasnt in my room? I didn't see any bite marks though
Also from long island... tropical showcase is way too overpriced for fish. Also just not the most healthy fish from there. A better place to get fish nearby is advanced marine aquatics, much healthier livestock IMO

OP
OP
D

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also from long island... tropical showcase is way too overpriced for fish. Also just not the most healthy fish from there. A better place to get fish nearby is advanced marine aquatics, much healthier livestock IMO
I actually went there for the first time last week and i was extremely impressed. I didn't even plan on buying a fish yesterday. I went to the store to get salt. But i saw the starry blenny and had to have it. But i think im going to buy my fish from adv MA for now on.

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are quite a sensitive fish, i lost two shortly after acclimation. Salinity was from 1.018 to 1.024 in my case. I assumed disease at the time but I'm wondering now if they can't take salinity swings well.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, i dont usually purchase any fish from any store nearby either, (petswarehouse, aquarium village, etc too much risk purchasing from). Best places for fish around here are Nyaquatic , Pieces of the Ocean (both a little far) and then advanced marine aquatics, in that order as well.

All said, this wasnt your fault, stuff happens. I actually dont drip acclimate unless it is something super sensitive like invertebrates and usually just float the bag and every 5 min or so add a little water from a cup.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are quite a sensitive fish, i lost two shortly after acclimation. Salinity was from 1.018 to 1.024 in my case. I assumed disease at the time but I'm wondering now if they can't take salinity swings well.
I would think it would tolerate it fine like lawnmower blennies but maybe they are just super sensitive

OP
OP
D

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, i dont usually purchase any fish from any store nearby either, (petswarehouse, aquarium village, etc too much risk purchasing from). Best places for fish around here are Nyaquatic , Pieces of the Ocean (both a little far) and then advanced marine aquatics, in that order as well.

All said, this wasnt your fault, stuff happens. I actually dont drip acclimate unless it is something super sensitive like invertebrates and usually just float the bag and every 5 min or so add a little water from a cup.
Yeah there's certain places id never buy from. BTJs jungle in west islip.. their tanks look terrible. And i think i was upset mostly because i thought it was my fault. I did everything with it that i did with my royal gramma. I just called ADV MA and they said they got 6 starry blennys in today lol. He also said they quarantine them for a week before even selling them which i think is really awesome. So I'll be getting another one next week.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week quarantine isnt really the best but it is much better than most other places out here. Michael at Nyaquatic uses copper and api general cure in his system and i try to make sure the fish has been there at least 3 weeks, but im paranoid as well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I kept it in the bag for about 30 minutes and let it float with the light off. Then i took it out and drip acclimated it for about an hour. Then i put it in my tank
This reverts back to statement made by Jay. Unless you matched salinity and PH, shock may have come into play. Im not a drip acclimate person but rather I add a cup of water every 15mins 8X = 2 hours to a bucket and check salinity in bucket before transfer not to say drip does not work. It just mixed water unevenly to a degree.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree a week qt is useless

it’s almost pointless to even say that.
cooper and other stuff is good but unless the doses are correct and fish in the tank ling enough it doesn’t do much either

but that being said on most Easy fish a full qt isn’t necessary especially if you don’t have a ton invested

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drop my fish for 30 mins and never lost of fish
If they keep it at 1.017 and you keep 1.025
We are not talking about a major difference

30 mins and done. I have 65 fish only lost 1 fish in first week
A blonde naso who I didn’t see eat and was only in the store a few days

I normally wait a month before I buy a fish
If after a month it’s still in fish store and eating. And swimming around and not timid I feel safe adding it to my tank

you might say that fish might be gone. Then so be it
And also you shouldn’t bash lfs. They are feeding there familys with that money and just not right

you could of just praised advanced marine without bashing tropical

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called the fish overpriced and not the most healthy... i mean that is pretty much the lightest "bashing" i have ever given. That is just an opinion, even finished the statement with IMO so....

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not rude to ask them to feed it?
No its not rude to ask, I felt awkward asking at first too. It just shows that you are interested in a purchase and care about the animals you are trying to buy.

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say what happened. I had something like this happen to me. I got a melanurus wrasse and a biocolor blenny. Did the same thing as OP, floated, then drip for about an hour. Added both, and the melanurus wrasse has been in the tank over a year, no problems, the blenny died within a day. I think some fish are just already weak when we get them.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 8 blue green chomis and the 3 day one got stuck to my wavemaker . He was sick from the get go the other 7 are fine.

OP
OP
D

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This reverts back to statement made by Jay. Unless you matched salinity and PH, shock may have come into play. Im not a drip acclimate person but rather I add a cup of water every 15mins 8X = 2 hours to a bucket and check salinity in bucket before transfer not to say drip does not work. It just mixed water unevenly to a degree.
8 cups of water is a lot to take from a 32 gallon tank.. lol

OP
OP
D

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drop my fish for 30 mins and never lost of fish
If they keep it at 1.017 and you keep 1.025
We are not talking about a major difference

30 mins and done. I have 65 fish only lost 1 fish in first week
A blonde naso who I didn’t see eat and was only in the store a few days

I normally wait a month before I buy a fish
If after a month it’s still in fish store and eating. And swimming around and not timid I feel safe adding it to my tank

you might say that fish might be gone. Then so be it
And also you shouldn’t bash lfs. They are feeding there familys with that money and just not right

you could of just praised advanced marine without bashing tropical
I mean whether what he was saying is true or not..if a pet store keeps their animals in terrible condition (I'm not saying tropical does im just making a point) then they need to know what they're doing isn't okay. That's like saying.."well the abuse their puppies, but you shouldn't bash the pet store these people are trying to make a living"

Back