Fish died and I can't find it, should I be worried?

LookItsAdam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40g breeder set up with a clown fish, royal gramma and twin spot goby. The twin spot goby is usually very active, stirring up the sand bed and creating caves under the rock work where he likes to hide. However, I haven't seen him in about a week now and noticed that the usual spots he digs and moves around sand have not been touched.

I'm assuming he has died and is hidden in/under the rock somewhere where I can't reach without tearing apart the whole structure. He couldn't have been eaten, as my other fish are too small, nor jumped out as I've searched all around the tank exterior/cabinet/filter.

If I can't find him in the tank should I be worried about what his decaying body will do? He's a small fish, and I have a healthy crew of hermit crabs, emerald crabs, and snails in the tank which I'm guessing would feast on him. I've also just done a 20% water change, should I do a bigger one?

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd just watch your ammonia. If you have a good CUC, there is no reason to tear up your tank for something that may have already been eaten.

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t worry. Those crabs will be on it quick and it’s probably already been ate up.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back