Fish died in QT, am I missing anything?

Steelcube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a lawnmower blenny and started the QT process on Saturday to learn the ins and outs before getting most expensive fish for my new, larger aquarium. I think he ate the first day and I tested 0 ammonia last night but when I got up this morning it had passed away. The only thing I can think is the air stone wasn't on high enough, I had turned it down a bit (not on in pic). Am I over looking something else? HOB filter had some sponge media from my main aquarium. Temps looked okay. Here's my setup.
20230515_130216.jpg

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Sorry to hear about the Blenny. I have no experience of QT set ups but my first thought when looking at your photo was whether the QT tank and all equipment was cleaned and rinsed prior to setting up?
Did you test for ammonia after you noticed it had died?

OP
OP
Steelcube

Steelcube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were the other parameters of the tank? Salinity, Nitrites, pH?
Salinity was 1.025, I didn't measure pH or nitrites (had to run to work). I assume it's too late to check since it's been in there all morning. Next time should I be checking more than just salinity, ammonia, and temp?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at the picture and I see paint or stain cans hanging about and you were running an air stone and a heater and a waterfall filter.
Im surprized that the little fish didn't jump out, but would suspect loneliness or toxic forced air related death looking at the cloudy water.

You were wise to start with a lawnmower blenny. QT is like setting up a hospital, it is more complicated than a regular house, imo. Medication, isolation, and bare-tank stress are difficult environments for fishes to survive in, ime. Hope you figure it out.

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB filter had some sponge media from my main aquarium.
Is the main aquarium truly free of parasites? Sometimes when fish are fed well and generally following recommendations like in the Fish Nutrition post, there can be parasites, but the fishes have great resistance. A newly acquired fish most likely doesn't have good resistance. Thus, bringing the sponge media over could be bringing some parasites/disease into the QT.

I always start my QT with a new filter. I add nitrifying bacteria (from a bottle) to the filter, and then test that the bacteria are alive and doing 'their job' by adding a few drops of Ammonia Chloride solution. If/When the water tests 0.00 for ammonia, then the QT is ready.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is too small, QT tanks should be cycled especially if using something like that.

LFS salinity was probably as low as 1.015 sg. Always need to match bag salinity.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I would suggest a bigger QT tank. QT tanks in themselves are very stressful environements, and that tank just looks way too small

OP
OP
Steelcube

Steelcube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the main aquarium truly free of parasites? Sometimes when fish are fed well and generally following recommendations like in the Fish Nutrition post, there can be parasites, but the fishes have great resistance. A newly acquired fish most likely doesn't have good resistance. Thus, bringing the sponge media over could be bringing some parasites/disease into the QT.
I really have no idea, is there any way to check? It's been 1+ year without a death in the main aquarium, which was a big motivation for learning the QT process when I move everything to my new, larger aquarium and add more fish.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought a lawnmower blenny and started the QT process on Saturday to learn the ins and outs before getting most expensive fish for my new, larger aquarium. I think he ate the first day and I tested 0 ammonia last night but when I got up this morning it had passed away. The only thing I can think is the air stone wasn't on high enough, I had turned it down a bit (not on in pic). Am I over looking something else? HOB filter had some sponge media from my main aquarium. Temps looked okay. Here's my setup.
20230515_130216.jpg
I assume you didn't have any medications in the tank? (or?) - Did you match the parameters, especially salinity? I suppose it could have been a latent disease - but that would seem too quick. PS - sometimes fish just die. I know that isn't the best answer - but it's true. I bought a lawnmower blenny it sat in the same spot on the live rock - eating like crazy - it was also dead the next day (at least I never saw it again).

OP
OP
Steelcube

Steelcube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at the picture and I see paint or stain cans hanging about and you were running an air stone and a heater and a waterfall filter.
Im surprized that the little fish didn't jump out, but would suspect loneliness or toxic forced air related death looking at the cloudy water.

You were wise to start with a lawnmower blenny. QT is like setting up a hospital, it is more complicated than a regular house, imo. Medication, isolation, and bare-tank stress are difficult environments for fishes to survive in, ime. Hope you figure it out.
Okay, I'll move it next time I try, there was an egg crate covering it but I removed it for the picture.

OP
OP
Steelcube

Steelcube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is too small, QT tanks should be cycled especially if using something like that.

LFS salinity was probably as low as 1.015 sg. Always need to match bag salinity.
Could you expand on "cycled?" I placed some sponge media from my main tank (1+ year old) in the HOB to address any ammonia. I read not to use live rock because it can absorb medication (was going to treat with copper and prazipro like the pinned QT thread recommended).

OP
OP
Steelcube

Steelcube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you didn't have any medications in the tank? (or?) - Did you match the parameters, especially salinity? I suppose it could have been a latent disease - but that would seem too quick.
Salinity was matched and I hadn't treated with any medication yet. I was going to start today and follow the pinned QT thread.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could you expand on "cycled?" I placed some sponge media from my main tank (1+ year old) in the HOB to address any ammonia. I read not to use live rock because it can absorb medication (was going to treat with copper and prazipro like the pinned QT thread recommended).
You are correct, and the fact that your ammonia was 0 - assuming the test was done correctly means that at least for that 24 hour period cycled or not was not an issue.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Salinity was matched and I hadn't treated with any medication yet. I was going to start today and follow the pinned QT thread.
I was under the impression that you didn't check the salinity from the bag?

Rham1281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity was 1.025, I didn't measure pH or nitrites (had to run to work). I assume it's too late to check since it's been in there all morning. Next time should I be checking more than just salinity, ammonia, and temp?
I usually run tests on the water that the fish came in and try to get as many of the parameters to match as I can. And acclimating will help a lot, too.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear.

As others had said, a rise in salinity from the dealer’s tank to yours could have been an issue. The water looks a tad murky, but that may just be an artifact of the picture. You’ll want a mesh top for this tank going towards.

Lawnmower blennies are “low value” fish and are not always given the best of care during the supply chain, and they are suspected of being collected with cyanide due to how difficult they are to catch in nets. They also often arrive with internal parasites. Finally, they are tough to quarantine because they really need lots of algae in their diet. Actually, I avoid buying them.
Jay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, blennies can be tough in a qt environment in my experience. You don't seem sure that he ate, do you know if he was eating before you brought him home? Could have been sick beforehand..

But I do like overdoing the air in my qt's, I've been running 2 air stones and a submersible filter that also produces a lot of bubbles. Imo I also would not be afraid to add a thin layer of sand just to help the fish feel more relaxed and it won't absorb as much of the meds as you may think. With consistent testing you can easily counterbalance it and it will stabilize after about 3 days ime

Best to let the qt simmer a bit after setup, how long did you have it up for? Had you added any nitrifying bacteria beforehand? It's a good idea tho to use media from an established tank for sure, that was a good move. Fritzyme turbo start 900 helps a ton.

If you are interested in a cheap, bigger qt I'll give you a picture of mine. It's a big plastic tote I got from home depot for 13 bucks. Also, the dollar store near me has some big ones and I'm sure those are inexpensive. Just if your interested..

Attachments

• 20230515_114812.jpg
    20230515_114812.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 28

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 68 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back