Fish disease ID Fairy wrasse infected DT with unknown now Midas Blenny showing symptoms

Scooters Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On August 8th two new fish were added to my display. Purchased from one of two places I have bought livestock. Wasn’t until after problems started and calling the store for more information and help. That I realized they keep all fish in Sub therapeutic copper. After they have been through QT in back for 3 weeks.
I have 11 fish total. That includes the two new additions.

At around the 60-72 hour mark. Exquisite fairy wrasse went from happily swimming about. To swimming short spurts. Then slowly coasting down to bottom and laying sideways. Breathing heavily. Then after 5 minutes of laying down. Would swim back up and lock around. Repeat.
always reacted well to feeding. Didn’t miss strikes. Ate voraciously. Was at this point I began to realize just how skinny the fish was. Also. Seemingly the whit mark in his nose had grown. To this day I cannot deduce if it’s something on him or part of his pattern and comes and goes when he flashes. I think not though. As it’s apparent most the time.
I called fish store and naturally they claim couldn’t be sick from them but advised it was likely flukes and to do a freshwater dip.

performed FW dip. Temp match PH match , used RODI. A splash of tank water to help with PH. Salinity remained below 3-4ppm. 1 drop of prime also. Roughly 3/4 gallon of water and aerated water for 1.5 hours prior to introducing fish and kept aeration while dipping the fish.
Kept fish in for 10 minutes. I know this is too long according to most people but fish seemed to tolerate it fine. I recorded fish during the dip and took pictures as I could get a closer look with better light. Seemed to me the fish was very pale and potentially starving but didn’t see any obvious stuff on the fish. Besides the white on nose area.
I saw what seemed blurry clear specks coming out of the fishes gills and around him. Started to notice around the 7-8minute mark. They were all sized the head of a pin or smaller though and did not represent the sesame seeds looking clear worms I’d seen in pictures.
I thought potentially Microscopic flukes or not flukes at all or Super flukes.
mat this point I Was at a loss and just trying to save my new fish and deduce the disease/problem to save the other 10 fish he’d been in contact with.
I placed the fish in a 6 gallon cube I had with parameter matched water of DT. Kept for 48 hours in this container. Around 36-48 hour mark fish was back swimming up right and not struggling to breathe. Fed voraciously 5 times through the day. So after a lot of thinking. I made an acclimation box and decided to place wrasse inside box and put back into DT and place shaded cover over the fish.
I kept the fish in this box for 5 or 6 days. Fish improved vastly and had me constantly questioning what was his coloration/scales/pattern and why was potentially sickness/parasites.
after the fish started putting on a little weight. I thought more that it was just a case of flukes and a fish not fed enough. So I released him back into the display tank. Seeing as he had already been in the tank 3-4 days to start with and would have already infected tank with anything being carried.

Fast forward to day 15 and fish was found laying in side again. Not breathing heavy as before but still labored.
Hours before was seemingly fine but swore I’d seen some tiny spots around the head.

Decided to get Hospital tank.
did FW dip again. That was 40 hours ago as of now. Fish is in hospital tank. No meds yet and is eating well again and swimming around at this point. Prior to he was laying on bottom and breathing heavily.
I got excited he was doing better as I’ve put a lot of effort, time and money into trying to insure a quick return to healthy living.

I then notice during feeding that my Midas Blenny in DT has some spots around eyes and face. Much easier to see and within a few minutes I was able to catch good shots. I have hundreds of Fairy wrasse pics and I can’t see anything in them. I’ll share what I am able.

Have the 20 gallon hospital all setup and running. Exquisite fairy wrasse is in already.
Have following meds
Copper power
Metroplex
Kanaplex
Focus
Prazipro

DT is a 3.5 month old Mixed reef with inverts of course and corals.
I have a large tote ready to drain most the tank and remove rock scape and catch the fish.

What should I do?
What does the parasite look to be?
Appreciate any help or information.
been running around this room like crazy the last few weeks. Hoping it hasn’t all been wasted efforts and that my ignorance doesn’t cost my other fish their lives

Proof that you must do your own QT at home. I bought all pre-QT’d fish only. However due to my inexperience I picked some fish that probably should have been left behind or observed longer before purchasing.
Most of all. Had I just used the QT process as I’d initially planned. Wouldn’t be scrambling now. Writing a short novel of my current fish and reef failures.
Thanks again for anyone who can help.

807D5ACB-3292-4FCA-AF4A-31E8BA613A69.jpeg 017018BD-A867-4EAB-9347-9A9674A84272.jpeg C7A24084-AB4E-4570-9115-ECE19D8B36D6.jpeg 2FCCC5B1-9ED2-424E-9DC9-3285B874C7D5.jpeg 01519EB5-FC3A-4AAF-99DA-D18DFA92274B.jpeg

OP
OP
Scooters Reef

Scooters Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How the exquisite fairy wrasse is looking right now. Roughly 48hr. After the FW dip.

Attachments

• IMG_4929.MOV
    38.4 MB
OP
OP
Scooters Reef

Scooters Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor guy! These fish mean a lot to me. Definitely feeling very guilty right now. I am 99.9% sure the Fairy wrasse introduced the issues. As everyone else was fine and Fairy wrasse was last addition. Along with a hog fish whose shown no signs of any problems.
I am hopeful someone can offer help and that I didn’t throw away a year of hard work towards owning a reef aquarium… All because of a single fish.
well. All because I was irresponsible and trusted someone else’s QT process. Instead of doing it myself. As I’d planned and studied for initially.
Hindsight makes it seem ludicrous to not QT. Especially as I’ve been taking the time to QT coral. Had everything already purchased to do so. Minus meds. Which I have now.
Oh life. I do it for the lulz.

Thanks for the reply. Helped distract me for a few. Also helps me realize I’m not totally inept with diagnosing this issue. I’ve scoured forums and diseases pics. Etc. cannot come up with a conclusive diagnosis. The dots around Blenny face are most similar to the Cryptocaryon and flukes posts I’ve seen. But not exact. Suppose I’ll know soon one way or the other.

wrasse was in DT a total of 16+ days before today. When Blenny showed issues.

sorry I’m rambling.
appreciate you all and the information.

Last edited:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a parasite, I would try prazi since you have it. It won't work on ich or velvet. But it will on many others.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor guy! These fish mean a lot to me. Definitely feeling very guilty right now. I am 99.9% sure the Fairy wrasse introduced the issues. As everyone else was fine and Fairy wrasse was last addition. Along with a hog fish whose shown no signs of any problems.
I am hopeful someone can offer help and that I didn’t throw away a year of hard work towards owning a reef aquarium… All because of a single fish.
well. All because I was irresponsible and trusted someone else’s QT process. Instead of doing it myself. As I’d planned and studied for initially.
Hindsight makes it seem ludicrous to not QT. Especially as I’ve been taking the time to QT coral. Had everything already purchased to do so. Minus meds. Which I have now.
Oh life. I do it for the lulz.

Thanks for the reply. Helped distract me for a few. Also helps me realize I’m not totally inept with diagnosing this issue. I’ve scoured forums and diseases pics. Etc. cannot come up with a conclusive diagnosis. The dots around Blenny face are most similar to the Cryptocaryon and flukes posts I’ve seen. But not exact. Suppose I’ll know soon one way or the other.

wrasse was in DT a total of 16+ days before today. When Blenny showed issues.

sorry I’m rambling.
appreciate you all and the information.
Thanks for the very complete post. I’m heading into the office right now, but look into a fairy wrasse neurological syndrome that we see: the fish still feeds ok, but swims oddly, often with a bent tail, or swimming in spurts. Some people think this is caused by the fish hitting the tank wall and breaking its spine. I’m not sure that an internal pathogen isn’t the cause. I don’t know of a treatment for this, but it wouldn’t be from anything you LFS did or didnt do.
Jay

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Midas blenny is an interesting fish. I guess I should have looked at close ups.
I saw what seemed blurry clear specks coming out of the fishes gills and around him. Started to notice around the 7-8minute mark. They were all sized the head of a pin or smaller though and did not represent the sesame seeds looking clear worms I’d seen in pictures.
It has to be a form of fluke, I don't know what else would drop and look like this.

ReefScooter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, everyone. I have heard and read a little bit about the neurological issue/ spinal injury potential with Fairy Wrasse in particular. Ironic you mention that first, Jay Hemdal. As it was the first idea for diagnosis I had. Given he seemed to eat fine and I couldn't find anything on his body evident and was able to get a very thorough look when I removed him for his first FW dip. I still have a suspicion that he may have gill flukes. Considering the correlation in fish performance/health improvement, about 48 hours after the FW dip. Maybe it's a combination of issues?

I'd love some input on a course of action. I will start the Prazi treatments if any of the fish exhibit parasite issues. Though I do notice a bit of stringy white poop here and there. Might be worth it. Wrasse seems to be putting on weight and definitely coloring up and looking vibrant compared to the fish brought home initially. I intend to watch the blenny further and everyone else for that matter. I feel like after how many days have passed. I would be seeing issues on at least one fish in the DT. So I remain very hopeful that it is not Cryptocaryon Irritans or Velvet.

I do trust the two LFS I deal with for fish but understand accidents happen and as the owner at one told me yesterday. You can get a sick fish from anywhere, even here! I understand trying to keep store 'for sale' tanks medicated at proper levels seems close to impossible and unlikely. Also, I did not realize the one store kept a majority of fish for sale, in subtherapeutic copper. I know that all my fish from the other LFS have been treated with copper, metro, kana, prazi. Then get a large WC or TTM. Both stores keep new fish for 2 weeks minimum in back for QT and observation and then treatments begin. Unless a fish is outwardly sick before 2 weeks time, in which case they treat right away. I purposefully spent a deal of time traveling around to a majority of the options in my area. Thankfully I do have many options. Then chose to buy fish from one location. As time went on I broke my own rules and decided to source fish from one more place that worked diligently and keeping a clean house. The second location is where the Exquisite Fairy wrasse came from. Could have just as easily been from the other store... Then I would likely have been doubting further business at that location instead of the other.

Fortunate I have had time to think everything through and to realize the only person negligent was myself. Be assured I will be making any livestock choices with greater care. With a proper plan of action for their introduction into my DT. I have spent so much time and effort on my first reef/saltwater DT being the best it can be. Then last minute decided to QT coral only and trust the luck process with fish.

Thank you so much for the beautiful pictures, Tambarev. I feel foolish and clearly overreacted and was not thinking clearly. Saw spots and was predisposed with thinking about what all the Wrasse may have introduced. Soon as I saw your pictures I had the recollection that the spots have always been there. Unfortunately, I do not always get to enjoy most of my fish's true beauty. Thanks to Primary blue lighting. Turning up the whites and being around during the afternoon to get pictures. It makes for a different experience for sure. Reminds me that a balance of white is important. I only have mine off 80% of the time because the tank is new, 3.5 months. Didn't want to fuel algae and other photosynthetic non-desirables.

Final Thoughts. One of my peers had a Cryptocaryon issue introduced into his tank. From what he believed to be his most recent fish addition. Also a wrasse and from the same LFS, I had bought my Fairy Wrasse there 24 hours prior to his purchase.
He had physical symptoms show up on multiple fish and within days. However, he had introduced multiple fish in the previous week and from 3 or 4 separate LFS. So I may have initially let his problems steer my fears and had me looking for symptoms I had not yet seen.
Anyways. He has lost his Coral Beauty Angel to Cupramine treatment so far and has his Wrasse Swimming head pointing straight up. I am trying to take a very methodical approach and know it's too late for proactive. So I would like my reactive actions to be calculated.

Thank you everyone. Looking forward to more information and thoughts. I will try and upload some more pictures. Also.. I am guilty of not starting a build thread yet. I want/need to do it. Even if only for my own personal journal and use as another tracking mechanism

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.2%
Back