Fish disease identify

Reeferdude1888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys one of my wild clowns has picked up what looks like a fungal infection or parasite ,,it’s not white spot or slimmy velvet I have attached photos but would like help in identifying it all help welcome ,he’s been fine no rapid breathing or anything just stopped eating two days ago the small blemish is on his bottom ventral fin
A1010608-49B5-4F10-A743-36DC213C1623.jpeg
7D21DFCE-4337-4FFE-AC4D-92955E05B460.jpeg
F6D5646F-57F3-441F-9B4A-08C5D4E4BD40.jpeg

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would help - If you would put an arrow at what you're concerned

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - I have no clue what 'slimy velvet is

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi guys one of my wild clowns has picked up what looks like a fungal infection or parasite ,,it’s not white spot or slimmy velvet I have attached photos but would like help in identifying it all help welcome ,he’s been fine no rapid breathing or anything just stopped eating two days ago the small blemish is on his bottom ventral fin
A1010608-49B5-4F10-A743-36DC213C1623.jpeg
7D21DFCE-4337-4FFE-AC4D-92955E05B460.jpeg
F6D5646F-57F3-441F-9B4A-08C5D4E4BD40.jpeg
fish is showing early signs of brooklynella. The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body as you called slmy velvet which is the appearance the mucus produces. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue. The area notated looks like a mild injury and keep an eeye on it
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
fish is showing earky signs of brooklynella. The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body as you called slmy velvet which is the appearance the mucus produces. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
I do not think that arrow suggests Booklynella. He said 'it's not white spot or slimy velvet'. it is one spot - unless I'm misunderstanding.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I do not think that arrow suggests Booklynella. He said 'it's not white spot or slimy velvet'. it is one spot - unless I'm misunderstanding.
Top of fish and gills show early signs and the arrow area is also mentioned as I corrected typo and added to it

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild clownfish frequently show up with Brooklynella, but the spot on the pelvic fin is some sort of other localized infection - probably bacterial.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Reeferdude1888

Reeferdude1888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys it’s not velvet or white spot after reading about lympho it’ defo looks like lympho so just adding vitamin supplements to good to boost immune system fingers crossed he starts eating again he’s still chunky little dude so fingers crossed and monitor thanks for all your feedback

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys it’s not velvet or white spot after reading about lympho it’ defo looks like lympho so just adding vitamin supplements to good to boost immune system fingers crossed he starts eating again he’s still chunky little dude so fingers crossed and monitor thanks for all your feedback

Just to clarify - Lymphocystis won't cause a fish to stop feeding, so unless it starts up on its own, there is something else going on that needs to be dealt with.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Reeferdude1888

Reeferdude1888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to net the little guy and under closer inspection looks like he has just snagged himself on a piece of rock and caused a small injury the small white blemish just looks like natural healing process he is feeding from the live rock just not the frozen brine so will continue to monitor him .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.0%
Back