Fish do not like PE Calanus

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of fish? My sunburst anthias eat it and haven’t gone for anything else yet, I’ve only had them a week.

My sunburst loves picking something out of LRS, otherwise he seems to love baby mysis -- If you can find baby mysis give that a go, V2o makes some. Just don't get their 'Soft freeze' stuff in a jar.

My fish wont eat anything from PE. Especially the mysis, no clue why... It floats by them like it's garbage.

OP
OP
K. Steven

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The primary reason is the fish don't like it, the oil was just a secondary issue I had with it. Guess I'll just stick with LRS.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't get their 'Soft freeze' stuff in a jar.

Why? What's wrong with it? I have used it - I let it fully thaw in some tank water first; fish seem to enjoy it.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have trialed this stuff for a few weeks now. Fish don’t touch it. Some of my LPS seem way more vibrant, especially a large jackolantern lepto colony, but unknown if it can be atrributed to the food.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have trialed this stuff for a few weeks now. Fish don’t touch it. Some of my LPS seem way more vibrant, especially a large jackolantern lepto colony, but unknown if it can be atrributed to the food.
What kind of fish are you feeding?

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of fish are you feeding?
Multiple Tangs, clowns, hawkfish and others of the larger mouth type I’m assuming. I’m guessing that’s why they aren’t touching it? Have always been way more into coral then fish but have been getting into fish as of late. They love PE mysis so I figured I’d try and mix up their diet a bit aside from nori and mysis.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple Tangs, clowns, hawkfish and others of the larger mouth type I’m assuming. I’m guessing that’s why they aren’t touching it? Have always been way more into coral then fish but have been getting into fish as of late. They love PE mysis so I figured I’d try and mix up their diet a bit aside from nori and mysis.
Yeah, thats exactly why.

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expected my Anthias and other small fish to love PE calanus but no one really eats it. To me it seems like mysis and spirulina brine look too big for those fish but they prefer eating those big things rather than the calanus. Btw, PE mysis is even more oily than the calanus, which I like.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any thoughts on something for larger specimens in regards to astaxanthin or other alleged color enriching compounds? APBreed or something else?
Mysis actually is pretty rich in astaxanthin. You could also try chopped krill.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back