Fish dying in quarantine

RegalAngel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you buying your fish from the same location, ie LFS? (local fish store).
If so, is there another location to buy from? If so try them instead.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you built a new room? Any glues, carpet, paint, plastics, etc that could be off gassing?

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you test the salinity in the bags? I'm going to go with ammonia and acclimation. Since you have a QT get it set to match the LFS water. That time in a bag increases poisoning and gill burns from ammonia. Yet, if the salinity is a large difference it also isn't enough time to adjust. Matching the QT eliminates ammonia in the bag and osmotic shock issues. That's where I'd start for the next attempt anyway. Nothing else stands out.

OP
OP
Lizfrank1234

Lizfrank1234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Mike,the rooms been built for a year and the main tank anf frag tank are unnaffected. Hi,Scooter,im leaning towards something like that because i really cant think of much else. Our tanks are running at about 34.9. I tested the water in the last fishes bag and it was lower than ours but i hadnt tested any of the others. The last three fish came from two different lfs,both of which are within half an hour of our house,so they will have been in the bags no more than about an hour and a half in total before being put in the Qt. I really cant think of anything else apart from what you are saying though,just scared to put anything else in until i see what happens with the Blenny so i will wait and see,thanks

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck and hope it all works out better for you going forward! Just to clarify on the bag though, it's not the time in a closed bag while being transported. The trouble starts and the clock ticking the moment you open it. Obviously, a short transport means a lot lest waste in there though.

RegalAngel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok....just in case you have a parasitic problem that came in with some of the first fish, you need to let this QT remain without any fish for at least 30 days. This should insure that any parasites will die off. Then try again with a new fish.
Good luck!

Campy10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Campy,this is horrible isnt it. My other half is getting really upset at the fish deaths to the point where she doesnt want to get any more. To be honest,i am starting to feel the same way,we've lost four and the one thats left looks grim. Have you had multiple failings in different batches also?
Hi Lizfrank1234,

I had a Blue Tang die from LFS about 2 months ago and now a Clown Trigger from another LFS. Both seemed to be fine one day and then died the next. Ammonia test with Salifert was 0 in both cases. I only seem to have luck when purchasing fish from established tanks and then putting them directly in my DT. I know its still a risk that is why im trying to go the QT route but its a bit demoralizing. Im thinking of getting a hearty fish from an established tank to ensure my QT is not the problem. QT and DT are next to each other.

OP
OP
Lizfrank1234

Lizfrank1234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Campy10, sounds similar,i am determined to make Qt work because i know its definitely the right thing to do but it is very disheartening to say the least. I am leaning towards the salinity theory suggested above by ScooterV at the minute.

Campy10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried that with my Clown Trigger. I matched the QT water with the salinity in the bag using a refractometer. The CT might have expired for other reasons but it sounds like matching the salinity is a best practice which i will continue.

OP
OP
Lizfrank1234

Lizfrank1234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Campy10,i will definitely match the salinity next time instead of drip acclimating them. I am still trying to work out if theres anything else i have been doing wrong and working through everyones suggestions but thats top of the list at the moment. Hope you get to the bottom of it also.

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be aware there is ALSO large issues in the supply chain. A lot of bacterial, velvet, ich, etc. Many LFS also run sub-theraputic levels of copper to mask issues, but 48 hours later the fish is dead. From what I've heard, Europe hasn't been seeing those issues to the same degree, so hopefully Lizfrank1234 is good in the future. But, just having a QT "ready" doesn't mean there will be no issues :(

Otherwise, 10 months until the Scotland trip for me :) I'll have to scope out an LFS or two there just for fun :)

OP
OP
Lizfrank1234

Lizfrank1234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,ScooterV,i am sure all those issues are here as well although to what degree i dont know. I am pretty sure theres an underlying problem here and im pretty sure it is something i am doing wrong,hopefully i will get to the bottom of it soon. This is our first tank for almost 20 years and back then,no Qt, pretty much no acclimating either and to be honest, a lot less fish loss but, obviously not as many diseases and problems so i will persevere with Qt until i get it right. I live 10 miles from Scotland and regularly go fishing up there,whereabouts are you going? There a decent coral seller near Edinburgh,Mailordercorals might be worth a look if you are anywhere near there

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stayed there back in the mid 80's for five months, and finally going back. Family is joining me, with the warning I will pawn them off on tourist places because I'm heading to the Highlands, will stay at some inn, and no plans where to go next other then be sure another Inn has a room :) We'll be flying into Glasgow though. There a couple days and then to Edinburgh. I promised my Mom I would show here where her Dad was born. She's never been there. We'll also be there for the Tattoo at the castle. Other than that, I have no plans :) Only worries because we're up to 16 people now who will be there at various times, and worried I'll become a convoy driver :( Oh, and I promised my wife at least one night on the Isle of Skye and visit the Fairy Pools :)

OP
OP
Lizfrank1234

Lizfrank1234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,so the starry blenny is still alive,eating and swimming about a bit more than he was. So,if the problem was any sort of ammonia poisoning from the bag or a salinity problem in acclimating them,is there any reason why a starry blenny would cope better than the other fish? If it was the salinity,is it possible that he is adjusting/adjusted to it over a few days or would the damage already be done? ScooterV,enjoy Scotland,as you know,its beautiful there,the scenery is stunning. We are very lucky here,10 miles from Scotland and about 30 from the Lake District

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time try this it works every time,,,

buy your fish.
float the bag in your qt for 30-45 mintues.
while it is floating poke a hole in it and take a salinity reading.
tape that hole up so the air doesnt leak out. match your qt salinity to whatever the reading in the bag was.
once 30 minutes is up put the fish in the tank.
only the fish, dont dump the bag of the water in.

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every fish is going to have a different tolerance for changes, as well as to disease. If it's eating and appears to be improving it will likely be fine :) Barring any disease or other possible issues of course. There's still the possibility of velvet or other things and masked by low copper levels, but two different LFS and that number of fish I would doubt that was the issue. Good to hear the blenny is doing better either way :)

And looking forward to the trip for sure!! My wife has also never been, so I made sure to plan being there when the heather is in bloom. Coinciding with the Tattoo I missed was just a bonus :)

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you let the QT tanks cycle. To me, it sounds like the cycle starts when adding the fish and that's why within a week they are dead. Some fish can manage a cycle better than others. Even though the water and sponge is from the display, the display is still new so not much bacteria there and even still the QT should be allowed to cycle.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back