Fish dying please help

Kartochat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to saltwater, I've had my tank set up for about 3 months. I started my tank with some purple rock and live sand. 2 weeks ago I added a white rock and some macro alge According to the fish store the rocks are already cured. Starting on Friday my butterfly fish died, Saturday my goby and my purple dottyback died. Sunday my clownfish died and today my angel died. I've put my remaining clownfish in a different tank and so far he's doing good. I have no idea what has killed my fish. After the first fish died I did a water change, my parameters are ph 8 not registered any nitrates or nitrites, no amonia, salinity 1.025 water temp 80. Please help I'm terrified to put my clown back in my tank and I don't know what to do. Do I throw out the rock and sand and start over? Drain the tank and sump?
PXL_20210918_173141676.jpg
PXL_20210918_173148745.MP.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most likely cause is fish disease

specific preps are needed nowadays to be able to keep marine fish it’s not like the old days

you must fallow and quarantine now, per the fish disease forum

your issue isn’t cycling we can see in pics, the water is clear, alk too high or low won’t kill in that pattern, disease.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to fix it you w have to study case examples from the fish disease forum. Don’t throw out rocks and sand they’re doing different preps from the disease forum you‘d keep the tank as is but fallow it, and then add only prepped fish, see fish disease forum

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Karto if it helps to know in planning, after the new preps you’ll have control over losses

your cycle is locked in

that’s why we keep the rock, to preserve the filter bacteria but in fallowing the tank you will starve out most diseases and have time to research and anticipate the few that can’t be starved by fallow preps

remaining fish are held and observed elsewhere, cant be in that tank for a while….this is the only way.

OP
OP
K

Kartochat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Karto if it helps to know in planning, after the new preps you’ll have control over losses

your cycle is locked in

that’s why we keep the rock, to preserve the filter bacteria but in fallowing the tank you will starve out most diseases and have time to research and anticipate the few that can’t be starved by fallow preps

remaining fish are held and observed elsewhere, cant be in that tank for a while….this is the only way.
Sorry, but what is fallowing? I just started searching in the disease forums but I'm not familiar with fallowing.

your cycle is locked in

remaining fish are held and observed elsewhere, cant be in that tank for a while….this is the only way

your cycle is locked in

What's weird though is as soon as I removed my clownfish he started acting much better in my other tank he looked like he was about to die in my 75gal tank. Could I have changed the chemical composition in the tank with the plants or rock that wouldn't show up in parameters? How long does it take to starve out most diseases?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fallow = run tank with no fish for 45 or 76 days at certain temp or normal temp as parasites need fish to feed from.
If no fish they die but need run the life cycles of the parasite and 1 study said one particular ich parasite needed 76 days but research here on r2r about fallow and get more detailed information

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to saltwater, I've had my tank set up for about 3 months. I started my tank with some purple rock and live sand. 2 weeks ago I added a white rock and some macro alge According to the fish store the rocks are already cured. Starting on Friday my butterfly fish died, Saturday my goby and my purple dottyback died. Sunday my clownfish died and today my angel died. I've put my remaining clownfish in a different tank and so far he's doing good. I have no idea what has killed my fish. After the first fish died I did a water change, my parameters are ph 8 not registered any nitrates or nitrites, no amonia, salinity 1.025 water temp 80. Please help I'm terrified to put my clown back in my tank and I don't know what to do. Do I throw out the rock and sand and start over? Drain the tank and sump?
You might get a water test done. Adding the new rock and then the cascade of fish death? Is it possible something got it the tank via the new rock.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks fine.

Did you change anything else at the same time Or in the last two weeks?

When the fish died were there signs of disease? A photo would be good.

It seems to me that the two events are not related, but of course I could be wrong.

Regards
Graham.

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back