Fish dying...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am making some water now, its going to have to rise in temperature though, its so cold in Florida right now, lol. I have a small heater in bucket with water. My RO should produce enough water to suffice in about 15 minutes. Catching him is going to be difficult. He is settling behind all the rock...rarely coming out.
When it comes to sick fish, its only easy to catch them when they in a state that makes them hard to save.

When I do a FW dip I take some RODI (I have a storage tank), put it in a ziplock freezer bag, and float it in my tank for a few minutes to bring it up to temp. That way I know it is an exact match.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also use API General Cure for treatment. It contains both Praziquantel (like Prazipro) & Metro which would treat other internal parasites. I find GC to be a bit more gentile on the fish than Prazipro. Same dosage two rounds 5-7 days apart. It is a powder and needs a bit of help dissolving into the water column. I use a brine shrimp net. Put the net into the water, dump in the GC. Massage the GC into the water to help it disperse. It's normal for some undissolved powder to fall to the bottom of the quarantine tank.
I like GC myself, but it isn't reef safe. That is only an option if a QT system can be set up. Prazi by itself can be dosed into the DT.

OP
OP
AmandaRaeJean

AmandaRaeJean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up using what the video used. Not a bucket. Had to deconstruct the tank to catch him. Hopefully it works. White spots def came off him. He still has some white spots that didn't fully come off, will that just fall off eventually?
66895baf1e82501b97721cdca4584454.jpg
3c5248d04827cb34a86eea7692bf1a92.jpg
9105a80af5794553335f02de4dc5e8db.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up using what the video used. Not a bucket. Had to deconstruct the tank to catch him. Hopefully it works. White spots def came off him. He still has some white spots that didn't fully come off, will that just fall off eventually?
66895baf1e82501b97721cdca4584454.jpg
3c5248d04827cb34a86eea7692bf1a92.jpg
9105a80af5794553335f02de4dc5e8db.jpg
Were those white spots there before the dip or did they turn white during the dip? Odds are they will fall off on their own if they turned white during the dip.

The pictures aren't too clear but it sure looks like flukes that came off. Would you say it was a large number that came off? Can't be sure it was the only problem but he should get some immediate relief. If the damage hasn't been too severe the fish should start acting better in an hour or 2.

A FW dip won't completely eliminate flukes so you will still want to treat your display tank with Prazipro. Unless you have feather dusters or a large bristleworm population it should be safe to use in your tank.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about waiting to construct the tank he is laying on sand bed....maybe recovering?
c255249ba6bd100a2881a614895f738d.jpg
I'd give it an hour or two. The poor little guy has been through a lot.

OP
OP
AmandaRaeJean

AmandaRaeJean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were those white spots there before the dip or did they turn white during the dip? Odds are they will fall off on their own if they turned white during the dip.

The pictures aren't too clear but it sure looks like flukes that came off. Would you say it was a large number that came off? Can't be sure it was the only problem but he should get some immediate relief. If the damage hasn't been too severe the fish should start acting better in an hour or 2.

A FW dip won't completely eliminate flukes so you will still want to treat your display tank with Prazipro. Unless you have feather dusters or a large bristleworm population it should be safe to use in your tank.
No white spots were there before the dip. His color looks better already, but don't want to get my hopes up. I'll be treating tomorrow. Local fish's store is closing soon, I wouldn't make it. I hope he makes it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No white spots were there before the dip. His color looks better already, but don't want to get my hopes up. I'll be treating tomorrow. Local fish's store is closing soon, I wouldn't make it. I hope he makes it.
The FW dip should buy him time. Can you give a rough estimate on how many flukes/white spots fell off?

Velvet is still a possibility and would need much more aggressive treatment. The FW dip will provide temporary relief from both flukes and velvet.

Myk

Aquatic Creations www.ReefDelivery.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, yes. You must be freezing down there. I am in NH. haha!

Good luck catching him and I hope that the dip does some good, but just be mentally prepared for the fact that it might not go as you hope. Also, be prepared to stay with the fish and move him back to SW if he stresses hard. A FW dip is not really a timed thing more of a sit and watch the fish the whole time thing. Fingers crossed for you. Hoping that all goes well for the removal and for the treatment.

Myk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops! Looks like I missed a bit before posting.

Glad to see some improvement. Were you able to get any clear pics of what came off of the fish after the dip?

OP
OP
AmandaRaeJean

AmandaRaeJean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The FW dip should buy him time. Can you give a rough estimate on how many flukes/white spots fell off?

Velvet is still a possibility and would need much more aggressive treatment. The FW dip will provide temporary relief from both flukes and velvet.

There wasn't a lot of flukes that I visibly saw fall off. Probably like 3 or 4 that I could see. Once I scooped him out, there was a good amount, like 8-10 on the bottom of the container. I have never treated for velvet before....

OP
OP
AmandaRaeJean

AmandaRaeJean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops! Looks like I missed a bit before posting.

Glad to see some improvement. Were you able to get any clear pics of what came off of the fish after the dip?

No, I wasnt able to get any pictures of what came off after the dip. What I could tell is that it looked like white flakes at the bottom of the container. Some were floating around and it looked like flat white salt at the bottom. Some were curvy, but that the best I can describe. It was scary seeing white spots come out of know where...and his color looked better minutes after he was out of the dip.

Myk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great to hear that he is looking better. Hopefully you can keep him on the right track. Just keep in mind that there is a good chance that there are still flukes in the tank since there are hosts there. You should be okay to cautiously treat the tank with prazipro keeping in mind that it will kill off any other worms in the tank even decorative ones like feather dusters and could quickly pollute the tank if they are unseen. If he begins to eat you've got to get him fattened up a bit too. :)

OP
OP
AmandaRaeJean

AmandaRaeJean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great to hear that he is looking better. Hopefully you can keep him on the right track. Just keep in mind that there is a good chance that there are still flukes in the tank since there are hosts there. You should be okay to cautiously treat the tank with prazipro keeping in mind that it will kill off any other worms in the tank even decorative ones like feather dusters and could quickly pollute the tank if they are unseen. If he begins to eat you've got to get him fattened up a bit too. :)
Prazipro could come in use with the worms my coral banded shrimp are not eating .... only reason I got him was to eat the bristle worms. Lol

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There wasn't a lot of flukes that I visibly saw fall off. Probably like 3 or 4 that I could see. Once I scooped him out, there was a good amount, like 8-10 on the bottom of the container. I have never treated for velvet before....
Let's hope that the flukes were are biggest problem. I would have liked to have seen more come off but those things looked pretty darn large if the pictures are accurate. Just keep an eye out for that powdery/salt like covering. And rapid breathing. Or if he starts swimming into a powerhead.

It is pretty crazy the first time you see things turn white and start popping off a fish.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro could come in use with the worms my coral banded shrimp are not eating .... only reason I got him was to eat the bristle worms. Lol
When you add the Prazi keep an eye on your water quality. You could get an ammonia spike. You may want to pick up some Prime when you pick up the Prazipro in case you do get an ammonia spike.

OP
OP
AmandaRaeJean

AmandaRaeJean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really great to see you working so hard to save your fish. Kudos for your efforts.
Thank you. I do not have a quarantine tank at the moment. I plan on setting up one again. I had a 75 gallon that I used, but sold it to make room for my frag tank. I have been fortunate in acclimating in all my tanks.

My blue hippo in my 300 has ich, but it's being managed. She showed no signs in store, ate tons. Next morning after she was acclimated, she showed her true colors. Lol. Can't catch her, I feed plenty of food, and dose with garlic, and her spots rarely show. Been lucky.
dc0d65e6cfc45dcf9c1a84c31125c3ae.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back