Fish dying...

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by AmandaRaeJean, Jan 2, 2018.

1. AmandaRaeJean

AmandaRaeJean Member

Unfortunately he did not make it through the night. :(

2. MaiReef

MaiReef Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

That stinks.

3. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I'm sorry. :(

4. Myk

Myk Aquatic Creations www.ReefDelivery.com Platinum Sponsor

Sorry to hear it. Did all that you could for him at that point though.

5. Big G

Big G Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Sorry to hear the bad news.

6. AmandaRaeJean

AmandaRaeJean Member

Thank you for all the help guys. This tank has been a crazy tank from the start. It's actually "my boyfriends tank," and I just upkeep it, and maintain it. He gets to choose what goes in it. lol. My tank is the 300 gallon and 35 gallon long frag tank. He is very aggravated that he has lost 3 fish in the past odd months but the clown seems to be unharmed, and wants to tear the tank down. I am going to try to talk him out of it. Thanks again!

Big G, Myk and Brew12 like this.
  7. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I’m sorry for your loss. After closer inspection of the photos, I’m thinking velvet was a culprit, it’s possible you had flukes and velvet, as that’s not uncommon.

I’d invest in a quarantine. Many fish cannot live in ich management tanks, and some species that often can (zebrasoma tangs, some hippo and naso tangs, etc) can and will still die unnecessarily in these environments. We often (I did) chalk this up as a weak fish and “justify” it but now that I quarantine I truly see how my logic was incorrect — much better success rates.

Anyway, sorry for preaching — sorry for your loss, I’d treat any remaining fish in that tank in a quarantine with copper or CP for a full 30 days and run the tank fallow 76. After the copper or CP I’d do two doses of prazi pro 3-5 days apart to take care of flukes. That will cover your bases pretty well :)

Gmj4409, Myk and Big G like this.
  8. Myk

Myk Aquatic Creations www.ReefDelivery.com Platinum Sponsor

I always agree with the QT route. Just make sure that you check on sensitivity within certain species with certain treatments. CP, copper and even H2O2 have a number of fish with sensitivity and will not survive treatment with these medications.

Gmj4409 and Big G like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted