fish dying

wishnewfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 5 fish in display tank which are healthy and have gone through severe QT treatment protocols before.
(2 clowns, 1 fridmani dottyback, 1 flame angel, 1 hawkfish)

I bought 2 new fish from liveaquaria (1 yellowtang and 1 blue tang) and put them in QT after fresh water dip.
the yellowtang died within 1 hr of putting in QT tank. Blue tang was fine. After following tank transfer method for 12 days in which the blue tang survived. (barely ate when I saw). I did formalin baths between tank transfers.
I introduced to DT, it looked fine and active in display tank but didn't eat much, tried to eat but hide due to other fish. I was nipping on rocks and I thought its getting its algae.

In few days I noticed that the blue tang has its mouth open like stuck open, didn't eat and slowly feeling lazy.
after 5 days, it didn't survive. (always hiding and came out at feeding time, heavy breathing).

In few days, the fridmani dottyback was not eating, hiding , had broken fin and heaving breathing. had slight discoloration spot which healed.

Next the flame fish which is active feeder and healthy died.

Next one of the clownfish had a super bloated stomach and poop like thing stuck.
I started dosing antibiotics (erythromycin) in my DT as per instructions. (for 5 days).

The clownfish felt better and it stomach got normal, but both my clownfish are not eating at all, one of it it lazy and heavy breathing.

Couldn't figure out what is the illness, all my tests are normal (Ph 8 -8.1 , nitrates, nitrites, ammonia not detectable), temp 77-78, salinity 0.024)

I was suspecting bacterial infection due to open mouth of 1st fish, fin issues and bloated stomach, but not sure if its working.

I doubt if its fluke as I looked at all the fish live and dead closely and didn't see anything on their skin. Looks clean.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your TTM? Did you use separate tools and equipment for each QT (including for feeding), and did you disinfect equipment and tanks/buckets between transfers (e.g. the inactive tank)?

OP
OP
W

wishnewfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have separate tanks/equipment/heaters and feeding. I disinfected with regular tap water and dry them.

OP
OP
W

wishnewfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think its ich as I dont see any flashing at all for all the fish it infected.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think its ich as I dont see any flashing at all for all the fish it infected.
Was rapid breathing seen on all the fish? Does the aquarium have corals and other invertebrates that are fine?
Gill flukes and Amyloodinium are tough to treat with TTM, I suspect something made it through.
Jay

OP
OP
W

wishnewfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all fish show the symptoms at same time. Only one fish is actively showing symptoms before dying.
If it’s flukes or oodinium the why am I seeing bloated stomach with stringy poop ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all fish show the symptoms at same time. Only one fish is actively showing symptoms before dying.
If it’s flukes or oodinium the why am I seeing bloated stomach with stringy poop ?
Oh, I thought just the clownfish was bloated and that it recovered? It is pretty common for fish to have multiple problems, and I was focusing on the one most likely to be killing the fish - the rapid breathing aspect.

Jay

OP
OP
W

wishnewfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, its bloated stomach got alright, not sure if antibiotic dosing helped but its rapid breathing is getting worst and ready to die. Its not swimming, just rapid breathing lying on floor.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a fish goes off feed and lays on the bottom, it may be too late. You could try FW dip to buy some time, but be aware that it may kill it. If fish dies during a FW dip, it was simply too far gone to save in any event. If the fish survives the dip, look for evidence of flukes in the dip water- if seen, dose with praziquantel, if not, then start a copper treatment in a QT...
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 97 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back