Fish dying

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost 4 fish in 4 days, it started about 4-5 days after I added two new fish. I did quarantine but I didn’t use medication(I was nervous about using it and the fish seemed healthy and came from a reputable lfs)
After the first two fish died I emptied and cleaned my quarantine tank and now I have to wait for it to finish cycling before I use it.
If no more fish die (8 left) should I still remove and quarantine with medication? If so how many fish at once can be quarantined in a 20 gallon tank, if I’m able to treat the remaining fish how do I make sure the main tank is safe? I have too many corals and inverts to add medication to the display.
will a UV work, what is recommended and how are they used.
I definitely learned a hard lesson and will never not go through a complete quarantine regimen with medications.
The remaining 8 fish seem fine but most of those that died seemed ok. I thought one fish had tiny spots but it was just some sort of tank dust that must have washed off. No one has any dots now and all are eating ok, except I did notice a few swimming in the power head flow but I’m not sure it was abnormal.
Is there anything that can be done and how can I be sure whatever caused the fish to die is no longer in the tank?
I know it’s hard to give advice when I can’t really show you any symptoms visable or behavioral.
What are my options?
I lost a Midas blenny, Royal gramma (both died the same day) a coral beauty the next morning (one of the new fish I’d just added) and the 3rd day I lost a one spot blenny.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost 4 fish in 4 days, it started about 4-5 days after I added two new fish. I did quarantine but I didn’t use medication(I was nervous about using it and the fish seemed healthy and came from a reputable lfs)
After the first two fish died I emptied and cleaned my quarantine tank and now I have to wait for it to finish cycling before I use it.
If no more fish die (8 left) should I still remove and quarantine with medication? If so how many fish at once can be quarantined in a 20 gallon tank, if I’m able to treat the remaining fish how do I make sure the main tank is safe? I have too many corals and inverts to add medication to the display.
will a UV work, what is recommended and how are they used.
I definitely learned a hard lesson and will never not go through a complete quarantine regimen with medications.
The remaining 8 fish seem fine but most of those that died seemed ok. I thought one fish had tiny spots but it was just some sort of tank dust that must have washed off. No one has any dots now and all are eating ok, except I did notice a few swimming in the power head flow but I’m not sure it was abnormal.
Is there anything that can be done and how can I be sure whatever caused the fish to die is no longer in the tank?
I know it’s hard to give advice when I can’t really show you any symptoms visable or behavioral.
What are my options?
I lost a Midas blenny, Royal gramma (both died the same day) a coral beauty the next morning (one of the new fish I’d just added) and the 3rd day I lost a one spot blenny.

To really answer those questions, we would need to figure out why the fish died.

Of the 4 fish that died, 2 were the new ones, or did a new one survive?
How long has it been since the last fish died?
Did you see rapid breathing in any of the fish?
Do you have any water quality values for the time when the fish were dying that you could post?

Jay

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To really answer those questions, we would need to figure out why the fish died.

Of the 4 fish that died, 2 were the new ones, or did a new one survive?
How long has it been since the last fish died?
Did you see rapid breathing in any of the fish?
Do you have any water quality values for the time when the fish were dying that you could post?

Jay
One of the new ones is still alive and isn’t exhibiting any signs of sickness, it’s been 2 days since my last fish died, the first fish to die was acting hyper, the other was acting the opposite and hiding under rocks, third wasn’t really showing any signs, 4 I assume is dead since I’ve not seen him in a day, it wasn’t showing signs of distress or sickness, yesterday my clownfish seemed to be breathing odd, like panting but so far she’s still alive.
I checked my nitrate, phosphate, salt , alk and checked for ammonia
I did a 25 % water change
The only one off was my alk was 7.7 everything else was fine
I’m not sure what else to test for

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the new ones is still alive and isn’t exhibiting any signs of sickness, it’s been 2 days since my last fish died, the first fish to die was acting hyper, the other was acting the opposite and hiding under rocks, third wasn’t really showing any signs, 4 I assume is dead since I’ve not seen him in a day, it wasn’t showing signs of distress or sickness, yesterday my clownfish seemed to be breathing odd, like panting but so far she’s still alive.
I checked my nitrate, phosphate, salt , alk and checked for ammonia
I did a 25 % water change
The only one off was my alk was 7.7 everything else was fine
I’m not sure what else to test for

Well, still tough to say, but my best guess is that the one new fish that died brought something into your tank, possibly Amyloodinium/velvet. Since the clownfish is showing symptoms of that, the issue may not be over yet. I generally say that you need to wait at least 45 days beyond the date of the last fish death to consider the tank mostly cleared of a disease (but even then, some diseases can still linger on).

I would set up the 20 gallon, using biomedia from your DT if possible, or bacteria in a bottle if not, and then be prepared to move fish over and treat with copper.

Jay

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could maybe freshwater dip the clown and see if any flukes fall off? I don’t know if it’s advisable to do a dip as an investigatory measure or not. Maybe a picture or video of the fish would help.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, still tough to say, but my best guess is that the one new fish that died brought something into your tank, possibly Amyloodinium/velvet. Since the clownfish is showing symptoms of that, the issue may not be over yet. I generally say that you need to wait at least 45 days beyond the date of the last fish death to consider the tank mostly cleared of a disease (but even then, some diseases can still linger on).

I would set up the 20 gallon, using biomedia from your DT if possible, or bacteria in a bottle if not, and then be prepared to move fish over and treat with copper.

Jay
Would I move all at once or a few at a time
I think it’ll be too crowded to move everyone
I have a 55 gallon I can set up though

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I move all at once or a few at a time
I think it’ll be too crowded to move everyone
I have a 55 gallon I can set up though
Hmmm, you might need the larger tank. Maybe use both? Use the 20 for the clownfish ASAP, just in case the issue stops there. If it keeps spreading, then have the 55 ready to go?

Jay

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, you might need the larger tank. Maybe use both? Use the 20 for the clownfish ASAP, just in case the issue stops there. If it keeps spreading, then have the 55 ready to go?

Jay
Thanks, I just remembered I’ve got a 30 gallon as well I could set up instead of the 55.
Once all fish are treated how long before the display is safe again
Thanks

akurt928

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly could be brooklynella, I dealt with it recently. Completely wiped out my tank with barely any visable signs. 8 fish in 1 week. Parameters were all great as well. Its a tough hobby. Tank has been fallow for 5 weeks with another 5 to go. Only way to take any type of disease such as brook, velvet or ich out your tank is keeping the display fishless

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly could be brooklynella, I dealt with it recently. Completely wiped out my tank with barely any visable signs. 8 fish in 1 week. Parameters were all great as well. Its a tough hobby. Tank has been fallow for 5 weeks with another 5 to go. Only way to take any type of disease such as brook, velvet or ich out your tank is keeping the display fishless
How long until a tank is considered safe if I lose everything? Will the corals and inverts be ok ?

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one quick Q... I saw a post last week that you made about your aquarium shocking you. Was that the same aquarium as the one in question in this post, and if so did you resolve that issue?

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different aquarium, and yes thank you I couldn’t find the source of the problem but I have a new grounding probe and just to be safe removed the heater since everything else was new

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
No one died today so far that’s a good sign, I’m praying no one else dies.
regardless should I treat the remaining fish once the quarantine tank is ready ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one died today so far that’s a good sign, I’m praying no one else dies.
regardless should I treat the remaining fish once the quarantine tank is ready ?
That's a tough call - common wisdom says, yes, they have been exposed. However, there is always the possibility of misdiagnosis. I do think you should have the tank at the ready and then pull the trigger if you see symptoms develop.

jay

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a tough call - common wisdom says, yes, they have been exposed. However, there is always the possibility of misdiagnosis. I do think you should have the tank at the ready and then pull the trigger if you see symptoms develop.

jay
Another fish died, not the clown I was thinking would be next but it’s mate, I have two breathing weird and I’m somewhat resigned to losing the whole tank. A very hard lesson learned about not skipping steps on quarantine or assuming because they look well they are. It’ll be at least until the weekend until the quarantine tank might be cycled and I’m not sure I’ll have any left at the rate they’re dying.
Worst case all the fish die, how long will it take to know if the tank is safe for fish again and what can I do that won’t endanger the inverts or corals.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another fish died, not the clown I was thinking would be next but it’s mate, I have two breathing weird and I’m somewhat resigned to losing the whole tank. A very hard lesson learned about not skipping steps on quarantine or assuming because they look well they are. It’ll be at least until the weekend until the quarantine tank might be cycled and I’m not sure I’ll have any left at the rate they’re dying.
Worst case all the fish die, how long will it take to know if the tank is safe for fish again and what can I do that won’t endanger the inverts or corals.
It’s so upsetting watching my fish die one by one and being helpless to do anything, I can’t put them in the quarantine because it’s not cycled yet, and I can’t expose my other tank.
Any suggestions??
The coral sand inverts are all healthy and none have died so I’m fairly certain it’s something that the last two fish brought into the tank, both are dead now

Uncle_Matthew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s so upsetting watching my fish die one by one and being helpless to do anything, I can’t put them in the quarantine because it’s not cycled yet, and I can’t expose my other tank.
Any suggestions??
The coral sand inverts are all healthy and none have died so I’m fairly certain it’s something that the last two fish brought into the tank, both are dead now
Just started watching your thread

1. have any of the fish showed any visible symptoms at all? Or does it seem to be a internal issue?

2. If you’ve got a UV Sterizer on hand run it on the main tank microorganisms can’t live through it so it could at least keep it out of the water

3. how many fish are remaining and have you tried any medications?

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. have any of the fish showed any visible symptoms at all? Or does it seem to be a internal issue?

2. If you’ve got a UV Sterizer on hand run it on the main tank microorganisms can’t live through it so it could at least keep it out of the water

5 fish left and no medications because there’s corals and inverts in the tank. My quarantine is cycling and not ready yet.
What size UV for 90 gallons plus 20 gallon sump/refugium
Any recommendations on type of UV and placement?

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Initially none showed any signs the last two were breathing funny

Uncle_Matthew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsq
5 fish left and no medications because there’s corals and inverts in the tank. My quarantine is cycling and not ready yet.
What size UV for 90 gallons plus 20 gallon sump/refugium
Any recommendations on type of UV and placement?
1. 5/8 is to bad all things considered keep your head up if you give up so will your tank

2. I personally run UV on all my tanks at 1w every gallons but I’m also not a expert check lfs even Petco try to find one you can drop in right into display so enclosed and sumbersible for the time being then you can throw it in sump or plumb a proper Bigger or better unit in later

3 do you have a small tank you can use your water from DISPLAY tank move fish to that tank treat then put back into display? I’ve done this a couple time on emergencies

I’m no marine scientist just sharing what’s helped me in the past

any thoughts #reefsquad

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back