Fish dying

ryumet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone

I went on vacation about a week ago, I had a royal gramma , 2 clown fish, neon stripe goby , possum bandit wrasse, watchman goby , and fire shrimp.

I had someone come and top off the tank and feed the fish daily.

About 2 days in to my vacation a fish started to die each day and only the watchman goby and fire shrimp survived.

I think it was due to over feeding.

When I came back on Wednesday I did a huge water change and balanced out my parameters.

On Thursday I bought 1 naked clownfish and put him in the tank. He was fine and eating everyday and this morning I found him dead with the fire shrimp and hermit crab around him.

My current water parameters are

0 ammonia
0 nitrites
0 nitrates

I did notice my water temperature was at 79 but it’s supposed to be 78.

I’m really not sure what’s going on.

Goby, Fire shrimp, and hermit crab are just fine.

Not sure what’s going on here, please someone help me figure this out.

IMG_8117.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I doubt the water parameters, cannot be all zero's like that. Getting that proper info is the first priority IMO, but water changes are a good idea when in doubt.

How big is the tank? How was the salinity, since your friend was manually topping off?

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check the temperature with a different source to make sure it's accurate. I'm seeing white marks on the clown but not sure if that's lighting reflection. Did you QT the new clown? Seems like he was sick when you bought him and maybe it was just that... I went to a lfs by my house that had tanks full of clowns. They were all swimming happy and healthy no visual symptoms of anything bad. I blame that on them feeling safe in numbers therefore not showing stress. As soon as I brought the clown home. Put in QT.. 2 days later started breaking out with brook. The new stressful environment all alone without his buddies.. helped reveal the underlying sickness. This may or may not be the issue at hand but it's a great theory and a great place to start looking for answers. Sorry for your loss bud

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, more info needed. How much experience did the person helping you have, How old is the aquarium, do you have coral, if so how are they?. What was the water source for top off, .

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone

I went on vacation about a week ago, I had a royal gramma , 2 clown fish, neon stripe goby , possum bandit wrasse, watchman goby , and fire shrimp.

About 2 days in to my vacation a fish started to die each day and only the watchman goby and fire shrimp survived.

When I came back on Wednesday I did a huge water change and balanced out my parameters.

On Thursday I bought 1 naked clownfish and put him in the tank. He was fine and eating everyday and this morning I found him dead with the fire shrimp and hermit crab around him.

0 ammonia
0 nitrites
0 nitrates

IMG_8117.jpeg
it is obvious something changed and It would point to disease, water or overfeeding. With overfeeding tank would be cloudy and evidence of such. With disease, there would be both noticeable signs and behaviors. It then points water, even a sharp rise in temperature or ammonia (spike)
I suspect you have false readings and would assume your test kit may be Api but regardless, first to do is to verify your water by taking a ample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone

0 ammonia
0 nitrites
0 nitrates

IMG_8117.jpeg
Something has to be incorrect with your parameters? EDIT - OR there is a problem in your tank that you're not able to measure.- Can you mention which test kits you're using Something like this should not be caused by using an API test kit IMHO, in reality - API to many seem to have overly high results, as compared to low. Additionally, the invertebrates dying as well as the fish suggests a toxin of some kind vs a disease. Is there anything else in your tank? How long has it been up? Did you Qt your fish, etc? If overfeeding - sometimes that leads to bacterial overgrowth and a bacterial bloom - with low oxygen?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back