Fish eating habits reversed

Sasquatchv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have:
2 clowns that eat only copepods, frozen and live. They won't touch live/frozen brine shrimp nor frozen mysis.

Yellow tail blue damsel who eats pods frozen/live and live brine shrimp, not a fan of frozen mysis or brine shrimp, will taste and spit out.

Mandarin dragonet who ignores copepods in all forms, and eats frozen brine shrimp only!!

Mandarin and clowns are fresh in the tank so may be stress. But mandarin swimming trough could of pods and not eating any... Drop in some frozen brine shrimp and he polished of 1/8 of the cube.

what the heck i going on with my fish?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have:
2 clowns that eat only copepods, frozen and live. They won't touch live/frozen brine shrimp nor frozen mysis.

Yellow tail blue damsel who eats pods frozen/live and live brine shrimp, not a fan of frozen mysis or brine shrimp, will taste and spit out.

Mandarin dragonet who ignores copepods in all forms, and eats frozen brine shrimp only!!

Mandarin and clowns are fresh in the tank so may be stress. But mandarin swimming trough could of pods and not eating any... Drop in some frozen brine shrimp and he polished of 1/8 of the cube.

what the heck i going on with my fish?
Often mysis mimics white poop with clown and not a bad thing. As for foods, clowns can be finicky. Good foods are:
LRS reef frenzy
Marine cuisine
chopped krill
small plankton
Formula 1 flake and frozen

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often mysis mimics white poop with clown and not a bad thing. As for foods, clowns can be finicky. Good foods are:
LRS reef frenzy
Marine cuisine
chopped krill
small plankton
Formula 1 flake and frozen
My clowns like TDS Chromaboost, and will turn their noses up at anything else. Rods Food "Nope" Calanus "Nope" Live brine shrimp "You want us to work for our food?"

OP
OP
S

Sasquatchv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm coming from FW where lifting of the cover triggers feeding frenzy.
Here I have to drop food on top of them o get any of it eaten. In standstill water as flow from return pump alone blows food away faster than they decide to bite!
I did buy granules supposedly fed by LFS to all their stock, not even CUC would touch it(my cat loves them though)
I do hope their eating will improve, I can only feed 2x a day, and I'm afraid mandarin won't eat enough without snacking on pods in-between feeding times.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Frozen brine shrimp is not going to be enough to sustain a mandarin long-term, if it's adult shrimp. It's not nutritious enough to be a staple for normal fish, let alone mandarins. See if you can get it eating something fattier.

OP
OP
S

Sasquatchv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen brine shrimp is not going to be enough to sustain a mandarin long-term, if it's adult shrimp. It's not nutritious enough to be a staple for normal fish, let alone mandarins. See if you can get it eating something fattier.
He has pods to snack on, byt ignores them. Mysis is too large for him, I'll try to chop it up.
What else can I try? Not fancy spending another £10 on flakes/granules destined for bin...
Any light coloured flakes/granules available in UK mandarin could eat?

Edit:
Mandarin tries chopped up mysis but spits everything out...

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sasquatchv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, problem of feeding that mandarin "solved" itself. Despite spot feeding him he was stuck to the side of wavemaker this morning, dead. I can only guess he was either sick or starved past the point of no return when I got him. Lasted 5 days. RIP Mando. First fish I've lost, ever.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 55 49.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 61 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.1%
Back