FishFace NJ build

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I am Diana. I am a new/old member on here. I signed up for my own account today. I had been sharing my son's account since he signed up some time ago. I have been reef keeping since 1995. I had upgraded to a 90g and then my son @DaveNJ wanted my 90g. So I bought a 40b and had been using that for 3 years. This past May I lost all of my corals due to a salt issue. I have been an avid Red Sea Pro user. I bought (2) 200g boxes of a different brand from a group buy. The first box elements were fine. When I got to the second box of this different brand, I had no idea that the elements were off drastically. I never thought that besides testing with my refractometer that I should test my elements with a new batch of salt. I did a water change with the salt and got my salinity to 35. Day 2 I see corals acting oddly. Check salinity and it's spot on. By day four my corals were died. After this craziness I thought of checking all the elements. I found them either extremely high or low. I was in shock. I then checked the batch of left over saltwater mix that I had used for the water change....same results..they were off extremely. I then mixed up another batch to 35 salinity, and got the same results yet again. I will never go back to this brand, and will stick with Red Sea Pro. I am currently upgrading my 40b to 75g. I like the water volume of the 90g but hate the depth of 90g. I would love a 90g that is the height and length of the 75g but deeper. My new 75g tank will be coming from @Aquarium Care Center llc here in NJ. The owner John and his crew are great! The 90g and 40g I had been using a Fluval FX6. This will be my first go at a sump. I decide to try my hand at a sump kit. I was afraid that once I filled the tank with water, the acrylic baffles would expand and crack the tank. I ran it for two days with no problems. I will be on my way back to @Aquarium Care Center llc now that I didn't have an issue with the sump build, I will be back to see John. I have been slowly building my corals again. I had lost a total $1092.82 from the salt issue. Here are a few shots of what I currently have.....

sump kit.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this has been a very slow build. The local LFS that I have visited 4 different times for a price on the 75 gallon I would like to purchase hasn’t gotten back to me. Last visit was dec 6th when I went to pickup my salt. I will have to ask my club members where they recommend. I’d like to get this done in the next two weeks. Well here are two new toys for the new build!

I have been purchasing new acros. Got a few from the @jfox sale on dec 7 and today from @TCK Corals sale

4788AE8A-F332-43C4-94E4-BE39BCA0901D.jpeg

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not too much has changed. This is a very slow build. With Covid-19 it has been a complete stop. I had made calls to 5 different LFS in early March and no one was able to get a 75g or 90g for me. The 40g I have been running, developed a crack on the top black frame on May 11th. You can see the crack in the photo I attached. I hope I can get a new tank before this explodes

On Thursday I received from @Bulk Reef Supply a Reef Octopus Regal 150 INT Skimmer and 5 boxes of Marinepure plates 8”x8x4”.

A85D6203-A58B-4296-9A70-C721CBF4688C.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really! Thank you!!! I'll give them a call tomorrow. I just googled them and they are a 1 hour drive. I live near to GSP exit 114.

I see you are from NJ. If you are ever interested in meeting up with other reefers in NJ, you may want to consider joining njreefers.org The club usually has fun get together though out the year. Everyone is very friendly. Covid has our meetings on hold for the.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Hidden Reef....they pretty much sell tanks at cost figuring you'll come in for all the extras.

Diana, I also have a 55 with stand you could borrow to hold you over if you think that will help.....I'm in Sayreville.

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much Paul. It is very sweet of you to offer. That is one of the many things I love about the members of NJRC...always offering to help! I am going to call in Hidden Reef.

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be traveling to LFS tomorrow to order a tank! They said they are able to order now. Yea.

I ordered from @LiveAquaria this weekend a Black Fin McCosker wrasse. Haven’t received a tracking # yet but should get one today. QT all ready for him.

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my Black Fin McCosker wrasse from @LiveAquaria arrived this morning. Unboxed him and found him not moving. The water was cloudy. Called Live Aquaria and was told he could be in shock and to still acclimate. I did and within 15 minutes he stated to move. I continued with acclimation process. He is pale and laying on his side in QT. Doesn't look :( good. I have been wanting black fin and have put off getting other fish so he would be in the tank 2nd. It took a year for me to find one to purchase. I have 5 peaceful fish that get bought after I have a Black Fin in the tank.

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy to report that the Black Fin McCosker wrasse is doing okay! He laid on its side for two days and barely moved. The last 3 days he has been swimming around. Can’t wait for the quarantine period to be over so I can get him into the display tank. His color is slowly improving. He was very washed out

34666E76-F9B1-41D5-89F7-0B20C5DB7449.jpeg

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed Modular Marine and placed an order for 1600 Overflow box. He has a few in stock. Don't really need 1600gph, but it is the smallest model that has (3) 1" drains. The next size down has 3/4" drains which I don't want. McCosker is doing great so far.

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we had a storm last week. Tuesday 4th to 11th. we had no power or cable. Not easy with 6 kids. I lost 5 SPS/Acro. Zoas, and euphulias and fish are okay.

Well don't know which way to go. Major League Exotic Pets, Aquarium Care Center, Aquaridise on Rt 18, and The Hidden Reef in PA can not get me a 75g (perferred) or 90g(too deep short arms) non-tempered sides. Husband doesn't want a used tank in the house. I have all new supplies: overflow box from @Modular Marine, pvc, sump, return pump, sand, skimmer etc. Should i just do a 40g breeder? Those are easy to find. Would the 1600 gph Modular Marine overflow be too much for a 40g? Just so bummed. Currently I have 1/2 the money set aside for 100g @Innovative Marine but my current tank can't wait 6 months to be replaced.

Last edited:

Nijessi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I came across your post! I'm over in Vincentown/Southampton and am on the journey to build my first big marine tank. I've been frequenting all the same stores and came across the trouble ordering a specific tank for Innovative Marine from the Aquatic Center. This led to me looking around some more and I placed an order for a tank from SC Aquarium - it is shipping today and the entire process dealing with Steve (their main guy) was great. He let me tweak what I wanted and the pricing was insanely good. I've found others who have ordered tanks from them and even the couple who had issues got replacements shipped out the next day. I'll post pics and breakdown if the delivery in my build thread once it arrives!

Also, it's great to find out there is a reef club here in NJ - I thought there must be

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! What size did you order?

Yes NJRC is a great club. Everyone is so friendly. Once covid has passed we will have get together parties and you should come! www.njreefers.org

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back