FishFace NJ build

Letmeusemyemail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good so far. That sucks about the run around you got about getting tanks.

Wish I saw this thread earlier, I have 3 brand new 75g tanks sitting in my garage with cardboard still on them. I'm in the Poconos if you ever want to try a 75 again just let me know.
I live in E. Stroudsburg. 75g Red Sea reefer.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,how are you,hows tank doing?
i have crossed paths with you in last few days,figured i got bumped . :)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started my tank back in Jan. A few shrooms and zoas about 50lbd of caribsea and 2 clowns and a royal gramma.
sounds nice ,you should start a build thread.. :)
not to be rude..i was talking to Diana..;):)
but nice to meet ya'..:cool:

Letmeusemyemail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank back in Jan. A few shrooms and zoas about 50lbd of caribsea and 2 clowns and a royal gramma.
I forgot about my goby and pistol shrimp that are no longer friends. They were laird up for about 2 weeks then the goby moved out and went to another section of the tank.

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,how are you,hows tank doing?
i have crossed paths with you in last few days,figured i got bumped . :)
Hi there!

Tank is doing remarkably well. I have one zoa frag in QT at the moment. It has been there for about 3 weeks. Noticed last week it has/had bryosis. At first I thought it was just plain algae. I did a peroxide dip on it. Don't know yet if I will need to run Reef Flux

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well tank is doing okay. I kept hearing faint clicking sounds. At first I thought it was the snail hitting the glass. As weeks past, the click got a little louder. I know now I have a beige small mantis shrimp that came in on the KP Aquatics rocks. I saw it yesterday at the base of the rocks. He made it through QT period. Now to figure out how to get rid of it. In one week I lost my McCoske Wrasse and Exquisite Firefish. I had seen both the night before going to bed at midnight. The next morning, on different days, they were gone. I have a lid on the tank so there is no escape. No cleanup that would have eaten it...i have 2 snails at that time for cleanup. They are also dead now.

I ordered 7 sps from the Live Sale Top Shelf Aquatics Saturday and Sunday sale.

last nights water parameters are:

Alk: 7.7 using Salifert...added 15mg All For One
Cal: 455 using Salifert
NO3: 0 using NYOS...had to add 1 capful of NeoNitro
PO4: 0.107 ppm using Hanna ULR

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,not sure name,but is green in color ,mantis shrimp trap ,tie some fishing line to it ,bait and wait ,has worked for me a few times over the years.. ;)
good luck hope you get it quick...:)

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still haven't caught the critter. Will be doing a bottle trap tomorrow.

Today my Tux urchin was secreting eggs from it's topside hole. Didn't even know it was there until today. After doing a little research I discovered it was spawning

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a new toy on Monday. Will need to set it up. I have been dosing by hand since the beginning of time. This will be odd for me to not do it each day.

Still haven’t dealt with the mantis shrimp in the tank. The clicking sound has gotten pretty loud since my last post. The fishes stay on the left side of the tank, and mantis shrimp is on the right side.

CE3A2AFD-EFE7-407E-9B92-FE68787C6ED3.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed in my tank a bottle trap for the mantis but nothing has entered the trap. I expected to at least find bristle worm. I used my soldering tool to make very small holes to allow the scent of the bait to entice the tank Inhabitants. Maybe the problem is that I used a big chunk of right shrimp. Maybe I need to use mysis??? Any helpful suggestions?

8D8CA738-0027-49B9-A92A-E83D9CB4D060.jpeg

Last edited:

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,how long have you tried this?
do not let shrimp fowl out in tank.
you can try live oyster,they seem to like them.. :)

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just removed the shrimp. It was in there for about 15 hours. I replaced it with mysis frozen cube inside the container. I will get a live oyster tomorrow. Should I just remove the mysis for now, and put the clam tomorrow?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no i would just leave the mysis,if it works great,if not fish and coral food.
hope the oyster works for you. :)

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to bed at 1:00 AM and got up this morning at 6:00 AM. The mysis was still there at bed time untouched. This morning there was a sand trail at the neck of the bottle where the cap would go....all of the mysis was gone. No one was inside the trap. The bottle is a good size. After cutting and assembling, the bottle is over a foot long

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still haven't caught the creature in my tank that is making the snapping noise. I am going to remove each rock (one at a time over the span of hours to days) until I hear the snapping in the sump.

Still dosing nitrates to keep it above 0. Within a few hours of dosing nitrates, on the days I dose, the tank will get a few spots of cyan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the weekend of Aug 7th, I purchased three frags (Donatello, UC Dippin Dots and Tyree Pink Lemonade) from @TopShelfAquatics. They are nice and I hope they do well in my system. They are still in my QT and will come out soon. Donatello has lost a little color in QT and the others are doing well so far.

TSA Donatello Aug 2021.jpg UC Dippin Dots Aug 2021 from Top Shelf.jpg pink lemonade from Top Shelf.jpg

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just looking inside a cave I had created and saw a black worm with 5 antennas on its front mouth area….black Bobbit worm. Lifted the rock out of the water. Threw the rock into my Brute can that had a gallon of salt water. I added additional salt and got the water to 1.050 salinity. The bobbit wiggled out of one hole and back in. The bristleworms came out of the rock and died. How do I get bobbit out of the rock? Will the high salinity kill it? Yes there are corals attached on the other side of the rock but I don’t care now

1633571027830.png

Last edited:

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, can you chisel apart save coral,go higher salitity to kill ,or just seek and destroy .
i think the .050 will kill it ,but not quick enough.???

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had seen sticking out of the rock the profile of the 5 antennas on its front mouth area earlier yesterday morning. I though it was the legs of a baby Brittle Star fish. Well I hope it's dead now. I left the rock in the Brute can and the water is cold. I decided not to place that rock back into the display. I still have the clicking sounds coming from the same island of rocks that this rock came from.

Back