Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P.S. Love this plate
IMG_0766.JPG
That picture doesn't do that plate justice! That thing has some awesome colors! Thank you for letting us come over to see your tank, it is beautiful.

cpark645

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Your work is inspiration for me to upgrade my own tank :) I'm just not sure of the logistics b/c I have a lot of corals in my current tank... So you kept all your livestock in a barrel with a heater and gfo/carbon only, no light?

OP
OP
Fishfinder

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cpark645 yes everything stayed in the 100gal Rubbermaid barrels with powerheads, heater, and carbon/GFO. I didn't set up any lighting. I figured that corals go days with out light in the wild. My Coral losses were minimal. Really only the pieces that fell off the rack and got stung. Or fell over and laid on their side. They spent 3 days with no light and browning is the only issue so far.

I believe flow and water quality is more important than lighting for the short term success. I kept flow high

OP
OP
Fishfinder

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to post. Doing little things, put up trim, Cleaned a lot, installed some apex stuff, been testing water. Everything is looking good.
Alk:7.3
Cal:440
Mag:1350
Alk is steadily falling, I think that is from bacteria and nitrate conversion.
Still dosing bacteria daily. Diatoms are starting now, very very light in the sand.

OP
OP
Fishfinder

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all LPS is looking good now. most SPS is moving in the right direction. acros are looking better. My biggest problems are my montis. Paling very bad, today I moved 2-3 of them closer to the sand.

OP
OP
Fishfinder

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've been busy at work. Not much has happened. The corals are settling in nicely. My LPS, favias, chalices, platys are happier than they've ever been. Growth is great. My SPS is doing well, acros getting color back, awesome polyp extension, montis are recovering many of them paled out. But after lowering that has stopped. Finally got levels back to normal and consistent. Started dosing again today.
Alk: 7.3
Cal: 420
Mag: 1380

twf0369

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build man. I’m getting ready to swap a 165 gallon to a 96”x30”x25” reef tank so I’ll be following. Do you like the reefbreeders? Do you get good color and growth from them? I’m considering going that route since (2) 48” T5 lights would be costly year after year. Also do you have a diagram of the light rack?

Keep up the good work. Your tank is an inspiration.

OP
OP
Fishfinder

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twf0369 thanks for reminding me to update. Yes I love the reefbreeders. They are good lights and have very even dispersion of light. I was getting very good color in my old tank. Things are still settling in, I am getting fantastic growth and the color is improving as days go by. I was originally going to do T5 but the cost of 12-16 bulbs yearly was a turnoff.

twf0369

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twf0369 thanks for reminding me to update. Yes I love the reefbreeders. They are good lights and have very even dispersion of light. I was getting very good color in my old tank. Things are still settling in, I am getting fantastic growth and the color is improving as days go by. I was originally going to do T5 but the cost of 12-16 bulbs yearly was a turnoff.
Thank you for the response. I look forward to your updates.

OP
OP
Fishfinder

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral pics after the whites ramp up.... But I got all the trim installed around the tank, it just needs caulk. I built all of the doors for the stand. I went with a white shiplap look to match the rest of the house. It is basically finished with minor touch up still needed.
IMG_0813.JPG
IMG_0815.JPG
IMG_0816.JPG
IMG_0817.JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back