Fish Food - Ingredient option

chet31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey People,

I want to prepare my own food for my fishes (reef tank). I have seen a few tutorials and checked out various healthy supplements that can be added to the food to make it more nutritious and contain a good dose of vitamins for boosting immunity/health etc.

I have a can of this product - Amazing Grass - Green SuperFood Powder and I'm wondering if its something I can use??

https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-17686...iginal-12-6-oz

If you check out the ingredients list, there are a lot of beneficial ones BUT there are some that I don't have a clue if its good or bad for fishes.

Appreciate any feedback on the pro's/con's this "silly" idea.

Thanks,
C

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that most of those are of terrestrial origin, I suspect they'd be of limited value. You could probably toss a bit into your mix, but I wouldn't make it a primary ingredient.

~Bruce, who's been known to practice "shotgun" nutrition . . .

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main concern is that it's a powder. So unless there is a binding agent involved in your recipe, it will most likely seperate from the food and not be able to be eaten by the fish.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find spirulina powder or something that is all algae. I'd expect it to cost more.

FYI, it's not so much whether the origin is terrestrial or marine. It's the fatty acid content. It's true however that marine origin algae is one of the best and main sources of algae with the proper content.

Unfortunately, it also seems to be true that sometimes marine algae even doesn't contain the right levels. It has to be harvested at the right time, apparently.

This is why folks like @Reef Nutrition don't seem to have a problem staying in business. :)

OP
OP
C

chet31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm.... food for thought :)

Thanks for the feedback people. Have a great week

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey People,

I want to prepare my own food for my fishes (reef tank). I have seen a few tutorials and checked out various healthy supplements that can be added to the food to make it more nutritious and contain a good dose of vitamins for boosting immunity/health etc.

I have a can of this product - Amazing Grass - Green SuperFood Powder and I'm wondering if its something I can use??

https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-17686...iginal-12-6-oz

If you check out the ingredients list, there are a lot of beneficial ones BUT there are some that I don't have a clue if its good or bad for fishes.

Appreciate any feedback on the pro's/con's this "silly" idea.

Thanks,
C

Maybe also consider ESV's spray-dried phytoplankton too....see their Products page.

(from ESV....)
dpae-tr.jpg

Dried Phytoplankton Amino Enhanced
(Time Released)

Dried Phytoplankton Amino Enhanced TR (DPAE-TR) is the new and improved amino acid enhanced version of the Dried Marine Phytoplankton Time Released (DMP-TR). In addition to the same species of phytoplankton found in the older DMP-TR, DPAE-TR contains other non-gmo cultured aquatic celled organisims which raise the protein level by 56%. DPAE-TR supplies larger particles which gradually break down into single cells (6-8 microns) as the material passes through the circulation pumps of the aquarium. The particles exhibit excellent buoyancy characteristics. This makes DPAE-TR the most versatile food available to he reef aquarist. DPAE-TR effectively eliminates the need for purchasing or culturing live phytoplankton cultures for your reef aquarium. Phytoplankton is an important first step in the food chain. Daily addition of DPAE-TR will not only directly feed the larger inhabitants of your reef aquarium. but also promote the production of zooplankton which in turn can be a valuable food source for your reef inhavitants. Depending on the feeding method employed, DPAE-TR functions as a filter-feeder food for corals and other invertebrates, fish food, larval fish food, larval invertebrate food, and an enrichment food for Artemia and rotifer culture. The abundance of HUFA's found in DPAE-TR causes the foam in protein skimmers to collapse briefly allowing the algae cells longer residence time in your aquarium before being exported by skimming. Although the very high levels of HUFA's (especially Docosahexaenoic Acid shown to be critical for proper marine larval development) makes DPAE-TR unique, it also functions as a source for the following trace elements, vitamins, amino acids, and minerals: Cobalt, Copper, Iodide, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, Nickel, Selenium, Silicon, Tin, Vanadium, Zinc, Vitamins A, E, B12, C, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, Folic Acid, Choline, Niacin, Aspartic Acid, Threonine, Serine, Glutamic Acid, Proline, Gylcine, Alanine, Cystine, Valine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Tyrosine, Phenylalanine, Lysine-HCL, Histidine-HCL, Arginine-HCL, Tryptophan, Calcium, Potassium, Phosphorus, Sodium, Magnesium, Sulfur, and Chloride.
Available in 1.5 oz., 3 oz., and 18.52 oz. Bulk sizes available upon request

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Spirulina Powder from brine shrimp direct. Claims to be 99% pure blue-green algae harvested from Hawaii. Labeled as 45% protein. It is mixed with a shotgun assortment of frozen food, various Reef Nutrition products and a little golden pearls...and then refrozen into smaller cubes. I have no issues with it separating out during defrosting and it seems to bind to the food well and does not turn my defrost water green. I am very confident it is getting eaten along with the other food, but I may defrost a cube and try to verify this by microscope one day...this mystical one day is going to be a very busy day.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back