Fish food recipes - how much Garlic, Spirulina, Aloe, Selcon?

kangadrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into making my own fish food recipe, based off of Rogger's foods. Anyone experienced in making foods - is there a recommendation as to proportions or dosages of Aloe, Garlic, Spirulina, or Selcon? What are the numbers based off of?

I have heard rave reviews about Rogger's, but I like the DIY aspect and think I can do things cheaper by making batches based off of what seafood the asian markets here have available.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't directly related to the question you are asking but are you dead set on using garlic? I don't want to open the can of worms about the use/myth of garlic for marine fish, but just make sure you understand some of the myths concerning garlic and the health effects (e.g. heart & liver) associated with garlic/ allicin use so you can make an informed decision about whether to include it in your fish food.

Best of luck with your fish food :)

OP
OP
K

kangadrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't directly related to the question you are asking but are you dead set on using garlic? I don't want to open the can of worms about the use/myth of garlic for marine fish, but just make sure you understand some of the myths concerning garlic and the health effects (e.g. heart & liver) associated with garlic/ allicin use so you can make an informed decision about whether to include it in your fish food.

Best of luck with your fish food :)
This is a great point - I should mention, I am on the fence about it. Would like to have the info on proportions as an ingredient either way, whether I go with it or not. Thanks for bringing that up :)

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm....unsure what the exact proportions are, but typically when vender's provide an ingredient list, the ingredient that is used the most is listed first, and the ingredient used least is last. It's also all metric, so it follows something like 4 grams > 2 grams > .5 gram, as opposed to 4 oz > 2 grams > .5 pound . Regardless of what you prepare, it seems that not a lot of the diet is garlic/spirulina/Selco/aloe vera.

I'm confused why they'd add aloe vera. The garlic I understand, and the same with Selco, but aloe vera kind of confuses me.

OP
OP
K

kangadrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm....unsure what the exact proportions are, but typically when vender's provide an ingredient list, the ingredient that is used the most is listed first, and the ingredient used least is last. It's also all metric, so it follows something like 4 grams > 2 grams > .5 gram, as opposed to 4 oz > 2 grams > .5 pound . Regardless of what you prepare, it seems that not a lot of the diet is garlic/spirulina/Selco/aloe vera.

I'm confused why they'd add aloe vera. The garlic I understand, and the same with Selco, but aloe vera kind of confuses me.
They say Aloe Vera is used for calcium, sodium, iron, potassium, chromium, magnesium, manganese, zinc, Vitamins A/B1/B2/B6/B12/C/E, folic acid, niacin, amino acids, and materials for producing collagen. Sounds like something that wouldn't hurt, but wouldn't be necessary either.

Drew

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back