Fish has pale white spots on it

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 45 gallon C VUE tank. The last few days I have lost a yellow banded possum wrasse, a midas blenny and one of my clown fish. My other clown fish currently has pale white patches on it. Parameters are 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia, and 15 Nitrate. Salinity is 1.025. I am running test for phosphate and other things. I am trying to find out what it is on my fish and if their is a cure for it. Thanks. Pictures to come

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 45 gallon C VUE tank. The last few days I have lost a yellow banded possum wrasse, a midas blenny and one of my clown fish. My other clown fish currently has pale white patches on it. Parameters are 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia, and 15 Nitrate. Salinity is 1.025. I am running test for phosphate and other things. I am trying to find out what it is on my fish and if their is a cure for it. Thanks. Pictures to come
While you are getting pictures, by sure to take them under white, not blue lights also check the fish for rapid breathing.

What fish are left? Once fish loss has begun, it is very difficult to stop things before more loss occurs.

Jay

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Blue Chromis, Fire Fish, 6 line Wrasse and my one clown fish left.

Attachments

• clownfish.jpg
    clownfish.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 48
  • clownfish1.jpg
    clownfish1.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you are getting pictures, by sure to take them under white, not blue lights also check the fish for rapid breathing.

What fish are left? Once fish loss has begun, it is very difficult to stop things before more loss occurs.

Jay
My fish breathing is currently fine. My other clown fish before it died was struggling to breathe and had pale colored skin. I am planning on a massive water change today.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish breathing is currently fine. My other clown fish before it died was struggling to breathe and had pale colored skin. I am planning on a massive water change today.
Are there invertebrates in the tank? If so, are they fine? If they are, you can rule out water quality issues, as those issues would affect invertebrates before fish. If you don't have any inverts, then you can't use them as a "barometer" , and a water change might be warranted. Remember though, large water changes are not without their own inherent risk/stress.

I see what *could* be a hint of Brooklynella on the clownfish. The key symptom of that is whiteish mucus on the skin, sometimes peeling off in sheets. Treatment is usually formalin or Rally Pro dips. I can't see for certain if that is the issue though, too hard to see in the pics. Try looking in the sticky section above, for pictures of Brook and see if that matches what you see on your fish.

Jay

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that is looks like flukes in the pics, but the death you described for the other clown matches brooklynella very much.

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there invertebrates in the tank? If so, are they fine? If they are, you can rule out water quality issues, as those issues would affect invertebrates before fish. If you don't have any inverts, then you can't use them as a "barometer" , and a water change might be warranted. Remember though, large water changes are not without their own inherent risk/stress.

I see what *could* be a hint of Brooklynella on the clownfish. The key symptom of that is whiteish mucus on the skin, sometimes peeling off in sheets. Treatment is usually formalin or Rally Pro dips. I can't see for certain if that is the issue though, too hard to see in the pics. Try looking in the sticky section above, for pictures of Brook and see if that matches what you see on your fish.

Jay
Thanks, my snails, shrimps and corals are all normal. It’s def some sort of parasite I saw on my fire fish white little dots today as well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, my snails, shrimps and corals are all normal. It’s def some sort of parasite I saw on my fire fish white little dots today as well.
Well, since fish loss has already occurred, you should treat the remaining fish. Trouble is, you will need to quarantine tank to do that. You *might* get away with Rally dips once a day, but the issue is that putting the fish back into the infected tank after each dip allows for easy reinfection.

Jay

Back