Fish have ich..................Need some help

reefinman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the marine garlic extract, which i use every time i fead the fish. Fish are eating very well. I also raised the temp to 80.5. Bought three cleaner shrimp, two shrimp were purchase two days ago and the gobys and a shrimp this evening. Fish have had ich for at least a week now. It doesn't seem to be letting up. Can anyone help?

:cry:

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the ich getting worse? If it is staying at its same intensity then let it ride. If it is getting worse then maybe further actions need to be taken. I am not an ich expert. Do you have a hospital tank you can put the fish in?

I wouldn't add anything else to the tank livestock wise until you have this under control. How old is the tank? Do you have any medication on hand for ich?

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypo treatment!! I had an outbreak that just wouldn't quit and had no choice but to put my 3 tangs and 2 clowns in hypo. This method is (IMO) a safer way of beating the parasite. The treatment has to last 8-9 weeks allowing the DT to become ich free. My tank decided to have a mini cycle and now I'm at it again. All my fish were eating, but signs of ich were present. I took all my fish and placed them into the QT I have on standby and it's been 2 weeks without another run in so far or signs. My 1st run at hypo and fighting ich was tough because even though the fish were in the hypo state in the QT, they still would break out. Lucky so far (maybe because I'm using a UV as well to assist), I caught this in enough time and things appear better. On the plus side, this allows me to do any aquascaping and maintenance on the DT w/o stressing the fish and fat'in my fish up. GL

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic, while having some immune system boosting qualities maybe is not a proven ich cure. Ich also burrows deep into the fish, so while cleaners like shrimp and wrasses do provide some relief to the fish they are also not a cure. Proven cures are copper, hypo salinity and tank transfer. Your display must be kept fish free for eight weeks for the parasite to die off. Your only other option is to ride it out and hope for the best.

candcreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that soaking real ginger root to your fish food will help your fish fight ich.....about three months ago my pbt came down with ich....after using garlic and vitamin c for a week nothing changed....the ich didn't get worse or better...I read on a forum that by adding ginger will boost your fish's immune system at lightning speed...I added the ginger the next day and used it for three days straight...by the fourth day my pbt was ich free and the ich never came back....so from now on I soak my fish food in garlic and ginger twice a week...I know a lot of people will tell you that this isn't a cure, but it has worked for me and I couldn't be more thrilled that now my fish are completely healthy...just my two cents

OP
OP
reefinman

reefinman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank is only 3 weeks old at the most i have 4 cromisis 2 went missing. 2 clowns, powder blue tang, yellow tang, hippo tang, fire angel, fire goby. Looks like the ich is better on everyone except the powder tang, but their all eating well and i put three drops of the garlic extract in their food each time. No QT heres some photos of equipment.

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t489/reefinman/2c4ecd2b.jpg

allabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went through an ich outbreak, it sucks, sorry for you! The key is really to treat it right. Unfortunately you have a really stocked tank, especially for a new tank, how big is it? The key is to learn the truth about marine ich (its not like freshwater ich). Raising the temp won't help, feeding garlic or any vitamins or other foods might help but absolutely will not cure ich. Even if it looks like the ich is gone (you don't see it on the fish) its still there unless you remove all the fish, treat them with hyposalinity or copper and leave the display tank empty of fish for at least 6-8 weeks. Best resource I found for curing marine ich >> Curing Fish of Marine Ich

You can try to just let them live with it by feeding vitamins etc, but just know that its still there, it just shows up more when they are stressed. A lot of fish can live with it if they are healthy enough, but some will surely die from it eventually. Good luck with it!

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, that's too much live stock in a short amount of time. Ich will appear to get better and then come back worse. Without a cycled QT tank Im afraid you maybhave to ride this one out. Please use the resources on this forum and feel free to ask any questions along the way.

OP
OP
reefinman

reefinman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the ""Curing fish of marineIch"". I just started them on kill ich, I only see white spots on a the powder blue, hippo and the angel. I picked up some viatmin c raised the temp. I think im going to give it a week see if things get better, before i move to the extreme.

I would like to thank all of you ladies and gentlemen for helping me in this time of need. I will always be greatful, that you used your time to help me.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich will drop off the fish every three days or so and drop to the sand to reproduce and then reinfect the fish in greater numbers. Don't be fooled during this period and immediately think your fish are cured.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich will drop off the fish every three days or so and drop to the sand to reproduce and then reinfect the fish in greater numbers. Don't be fooled during this period and immediately think your fish are cured.
+1 million

Many people do not realize that ich has a life cycle. Just because you do not see it on the, does not mean the system is free of ich.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can raise the temp it speeds up the life of the ich so fast it cant reproduce and it will die but if you have corals I wouldnt recommend bumping the temp to 82

if it is in your display get some cleaners shrimp and a couple shark nose gobies they will eat it

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back