OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try that. I have brine and mysis at the moment. Last time I fed it, 36 hrs later my ammonia was way up.

I'm unsure has to how much of the mysis/brine/cyclops to feed. 2 small clowns and a small orchid dottyback. (New Kupang did not last).

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank that you're doing that large of a water change that often? I have a 90 and I feed a ton and I only do water changes every 3 weeks at 25%

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try that. I have brine and mysis at the moment. Last time I fed it, 36 hrs later my ammonia was way up.

I'm unsure has to how much of the mysis/brine/cyclops to feed. 2 small clowns and a small orchid dottyback. (New Kupang did not last).
Better to do several small feedings.

OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fudsey, this tank is only 8 gallons (Fluval EBI). I have a 29 biocube that's going to be set up any day (I'm reinforcing the stand today). I plan on keeping the 8 gallon for either a quarantine tank or frag tank.

Big G - I'm trying that, but I still don't have down how many pellets to give, or how many shrimp (how much of the litte cube)? I see so many pellets just float on down, the fish will go up to it, assess it, and turn away. They even do that when they havent eaten, and I'm assuming its due the pellet being too big. Hopefully hatchery size pellets fixes that.

How many pellets do you feed per fish?

For other tank options- I just received a recently ordered AI Prime HD in the mail 2 days ago, as well as a wifi black box. Those 2, coupled with the nano light I already purchased are the limit for the ligthing for this hobby so any other tank option must conform to the limitations of the lighting ($2k in 6 weeks on an 8 gallon tank of which only $125 was spent on the used biocube is a ridiculous sum so I'm pulling the reigns a bit). This is in addition to the requirement that any tank I have be able to be transported as I'll ikely move in the next 6 months.

On a positive note, my Lightning Maroon clown hosted my bta for the 1st time today! (not in the pic).

tank pic 2.gif
frag rack (1).jpg

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh I see now, that makes a lot of sense. I would do what @Big G said and do multiple small feedings and suck out what food does not get eaten every time.

Being that small of a tank a 50% water change is really easy and probably best thing to do to get ammonia down fast

OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to find a large mouth plunger siphon, something I can use like a large medicine syringe to suck up the uneated food and spot clean sand since breaking out the siphon makes a hige mess.

xtreme aquatics nano 0.5mm should be here tomorrow. Big G, I verified that the BRS hatchery food is definitely 0.8mm now, so I went with the 0.5mm stuff.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip, I just ordered one. Also picked up some more 0.5mm for 6 bucks as an add-on item ($13 at premium aquatics).

Picked up a 30 gallon rimless cube with stand and canister filter (I know, throw away the canister filter) this evening from offer up....I have to stop looking for good deals and just get the cube going. Glass is thinner than I expected, barely over 5mm. Not sure of the make I'll have to measure it and see if its a 27,30, or 33 and that'll get me pointed in the right direction.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip, I just ordered one. Also picked up some more 0.5mm for 6 bucks as an add-on item ($13 at premium aquatics).

Picked up a 30 gallon rimless cube with stand and canister filter (I know, throw away the canister filter) this evening from offer up....I have to stop looking for good deals and just get the cube going. Glass is thinner than I expected, barely over 5mm. Not sure of the make I'll have to measure it and see if its a 27,30, or 33 and that'll get me pointed in the right direction.
That canister filter is awesome for running carbon to remove meds or copper. ;)

OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, thanks for the tip. I figured someone would have an idea on how to repurpose it.

I don't really want to use the square cube instead of the biocube, because I've already bought almost everything I need for the biocube (including the chameleon pearl for the plastic repaint I have planned). I intended to use the 8 gallon I have as a frag tank or qt, but this 30 was 100 bucks for tank stand, canister, heater, and Marineland led (not worth much but spares are spares). I guess the 8 gallon can go to a new home once one of the new ones are cycled.

OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, update on the pellet size conundrum. I have yet to get the 0.8mm BRS hatchery pellets in, but I did get 0.5mm Xtreme Aquatics.

Measuring with a frechly calibrated but inexpensive caliper:

Random sample of ten 1.0mm Spectrum pellets: they measured 1.7mm to 2.2mm. Nowhere near 1.0mm.

Random sample of ten 0.5mm Xtreme Aquatics nano: they measured 0.2, 0.3, and a max of 0.4mm. Not one reached 0.5mm....more of a dust than anything.

So, the search is on for something that is bigger than dust, but smaller that the 1.7-2+mm pellets that are marketed as 1.0mm.

Hopefully the 0.8mm hatchery pellets do the trick.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, update on the pellet size conundrum. I have yet to get the 0.8mm BRS hatchery pellets in, but I did get 0.5mm Xtreme Aquatics.

Measuring with a frechly calibrated but inexpensive caliper:

Random sample of ten 1.0mm Spectrum pellets: they measured 1.7mm to 2.2mm. Nowhere near 1.0mm.

Random sample of ten 0.5mm Xtreme Aquatics nano: they measured 0.2, 0.3, and a max of 0.4mm. Not one reached 0.5mm....more of a dust than anything.

So, the search is on for something that is bigger than dust, but smaller that the 1.7-2+mm pellets that are marketed as 1.0mm.

Hopefully the 0.8mm hatchery pellets do the trick.

Not sure if this was already suggested, if so apologies for double posting, but could give it a try:

https://apbreed.com/product_tdo_chroma_boost.php

B1 and 2 are apparently accepted by Biota captive bred mandarins which generally come very tiny.

OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the post.

The B1 and B2 size ranges align themselves with true tested size of the Xtreme Aquatics pellets I curently have. My fish are disinterested in the Xtreme Aquatics due to them being too small. I belive the C1 or C2 granules would be great for my current needs if they were true to size, however both brands tested to date were not.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the post.

The B1 and B2 size ranges align themselves with true tested size of the Xtreme Aquatics pellets I curently have. My fish are disinterested in the Xtreme Aquatics due to them being too small. I belive the C1 or C2 granules would be great for my current needs if they were true to size, however both brands tested to date were not.

I do know quite a few research institutions use AP and Reed but obviously your experience is most important.

Last idea would be to try Fauna Marin’s soft pellets. They’re larger in size but already feel pre-soaked. BRS sells them, I’m sure other places too

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/100-ml-ultra-marine-soft-clownfish-medium-pellets-fauna-marin.html

OP
OP
LanM

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be interested in knowing the diameter of those pellets. None is listed in the specifications. With diameter of the pellet being the primary issue for my needs, a measurable metric is kind of important. Maybe I'll shoot them and email and ask the diameter of those pellets.

The fish fervently try to eat the NLS pellets, but at 1.7mm+ they're too big (and significantly larger than advertised. The Xtreme aquatics are like grains of sand and get zero interest (and at 0.2mm to 0.4mm are significantly smaller than advertised).

I'll find the goldilocks pellet soon enough. BRS harchery pellets havent arrived yet.

Reef frenzy is doing them well presently.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be interested in knowing the diameter of those pellets. None is listed in the specifications. With diameter of the pellet being the primary issue for my needs, a measurable metric is kind of important. Maybe I'll shoot them and email and ask the diameter of those pellets.

The fish fervently try to eat the NLS pellets, but at 1.7mm+ they're too big (and significantly larger than advertised. The Xtreme aquatics are like grains of sand and get zero interest (and at 0.2mm to 0.4mm are significantly smaller than advertised).

I'll find the goldilocks pellet soon enough. BRS harchery pellets havent arrived yet.

Reef frenzy is doing them well presently.

Not sure of the diameter and I have nothing to measure unfortunately. They’re very soft and my pretty small phantom clowns are able to eat it without problems even though it takes them 2-3 bites.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back