Fish in lots of tanks you think are just ugly

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok not really a fish you keep in a tank but monkfish have to be some of the ugliest and weirdest fish out there. Absurd how something so ugly can taste so good!

7D4F9E29-B07E-4163-8B42-17774676E4F9.jpeg
That thing looks crazy! Never have eaten one...might have to try one...

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any kind of cardinal, most filefish, and any other fish, that for whatever reason, I can’t put in my tank. Not really, but I try to convince myself that I don’t like them so I won’t want them so bad. But cardinals.... don’t see the magic.

FishDoc

Fish Obsessed.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one swim between my legs once when I was standing in shallow water. That freaked me out. I’m deathly afraid of jellyfish however. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been stung by box jellies and Portuguese man-o-wars.
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say you may be mixing up species of jellies and both you described being stung by are extremely dangerous and lead to severe health complications following being stung by them.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one swim between my legs once when I was standing in shallow water. That freaked me out. I’m deathly afraid of jellyfish however. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been stung by box jellies and Portuguese man-o-wars.
Me too! Man-O-Wars truly suck..... Lordy be they hurt!

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say you may be mixing up species of jellies and both you described being stung by are extremely dangerous and lead to severe health complications following being stung by them.
As a kid growing up on the Gulf of Mexico, I have been stung quite a few times by Man-O-War. Depends on the size of it and how big the sting is as to what kind of damage it will do. They won’t kill you unless you bathe with them. Other than a nasty sting, I’ve never suffered any long term complications from them although a neighbor’s dog died after eating one.

Yep... this is them!
217B053F-FE43-4F49-915D-8827FF61CA1D.jpeg

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 come to mind rather quickly.

Skunk Clowns
skunkclown.PNG

Clarkii Clowns
Clarkii.PNG

Almost any kind of Filefish
filefish.PNG

I do love almost any form of designer clown. I haven't seen a tang I don't like.

Any time I see any of the above 3. Sorry fish. It makes me cringe a little.
Clarkii clowns? OMGosh.... I have a breeding pair.... I love them! Java and Mocha are their names.... what’s not to love?!

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
designer clowns they look fake and stone fish now thats ugly in my book.Cardinals I personly like and I love lion fish just wont ever keep one again.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroon clowns. When I see them I just think of my first fish I ever got when I switched to salt. I had a gold bar maroon, cool as a baby. After that I'd bleed just to pick up a rock he knocked over.

Another I just dont like are morey eels. They remind me of fanged snakes.

The District Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't stand Cardinals. I just don't get why people like them. I'm also not a fan of Anthias, Damsels, Wrasses, and Dottybacks. I don't hate them. I just think they look kind of boring for a SW tank.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also can't stand Cardinals or Anthias. They look like cheap bait fish, have zero personality and remind me of Tetras in FW that just sit in one spot like morons.

Wrasses at least have interesting behaviour.

My favorite captive SW fish *by far* are Marine Bettas. Not only are they spectacular to look at they can be trained to take food out your hand. I had one I tamed like this once and neighbor kids would come over just to look at the thing.

Fallling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see....

PJ cardinal fish - check
yellow assessor - check
marine betta (a beautiful fine spot) - check
chalk bass- check
blennies - check
blue side / ruby head fairy wrasse - check
other fairy wrasses - check
filefish (radial plus 2 bristletails) - check
captive bred fish - check

Awww yissss.... I have all of those "ugly" fish in my tank, and I love them ;Happy

The only fish my tank I didn't see directly mentioned are my flame and blue leopard wrasse... any takers? =)

As far as ugly fish go, the only fish I think is truly ugly are those designer long fin clownfish - they just look genetically deformed to me as in, "just because we can doesn't mean we should".

Otherwise, I kind of love all fish... I'm also convinced I was a fish in a past lifetime- not a mermaid, a fish. I think every fish can be appreciated in a multitude of ways from its' coloring, pattern/texture, shape, behavior, swimming motion, etc.

Finally, I'll be the first to admit my bristletails aren't winning any beauty contests either, however, I think they're very interesting to watch and look at. My bf, who loves to go fishing, likes them because they remind him of halibut - they're actually his favorite in the tank lol.

Todd Jacobs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, this is meant to be fun. So no personal attacks. Just call out fish you see allot of and call it what it is to YOU.

For me, I can't stand Fox face, Cardinals or dog face Puffers.

This is all personal opinion so what one person doesn't like is totally OK.
Love dogface puffers the ugliness makes them cute like my english bulldog lol plus puffers have the best personality s for a fish by far

Back