FISH in my overflow? How to safely get him out?

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My watchman goby for the 2nd time just ended up in my overflow? HOW Is he getting in? I am fine to take off my filter socks but will he live through this? He did this befoe when he was tiny.. now that he is 5 inches will he die? I am have grown so fond of him?

I am in the middle of a water change and need to turn my pumps back on so time is of the essense?

thank you!

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang that’s a tough one! How big is the drain pipe? No way to scoop him out of the overflow?

OP
OP
Neptune 555

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do I take the pipes out of my overflow? I have never had to remove my overflow pipes? They are attached?

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not that simple because as soon as you pull the pipe out all the water-snd your fish-are going down the drain no pun intended. The pipe shouldn’t be glued at least I hope not so assuming it’s threaded you would just unscrew it. Now there’s a possibility the fish just gets flushed into the sump with the rest of the water. But there’s always the possibility he gets injured on the way down. That’s why I was saying if you can somehow squeeze a net or something inside the box it would be another option but he could also get injured by the net going that route since you most likely won’t be able to see what you’re doing too easy. No easy answer here that I can see there’s risk either way. It’s your fish and your call in the end. As far as the overflow he’s most likely getting through the teeth on the weir you’d be surprised the spaces the can get through! Maybe try to put something through the teeth to keep him out??

Phil Steel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say place a net lower than the fish (likely it will scoot up if it sees the net), then start draining the overflow with a siphon. Hopefully as the water level decreases, it'll be easier to catch?

Last edited:

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I knew how to keep em out. I've tried netting and even covered the partition with acrylic. I lost a Candy-Striped Hogfish because he constantly ended up in the overflow. I had to drain the overflow almost completely just to fish him out. I think the stress got to him the third time around.

Phil Steel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I knew how to keep em out. I've tried netting and even covered the partition with acrylic. I lost a Candy-Striped Hogfish because he constantly ended up in the overflow. I had to drain the overflow almost completely just to fish him out. I think the stress got to him the third time around.
how did it work with the net?

OP
OP
Neptune 555

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exhausted!! I used multiple nets and my hand to catch him…. The problem is that I have tank canopy that hides the lights… and adds 18 inches… so I was on a ladder hanging over the canopy trying to scoop him up to safety from the over flow… SUCCESS!!

but 1 year ago a bicolar fox face disappeared in my tank… he had made it through TTM eating and had passed the3 weeks in a new tank… i now think he died in an over flow… no body ever found he was never sick :(

Phil Steel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well congrats you managed to get him out.

Probably best to finally figure out how to seal off that overflow....if just for your sanity!

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you got him out! Definitely going to have to figure something out for the Houdini you’ve hit there lol.

Phil Steel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried 1/8" netting around the overflow but he got through it. I now have a sheet of 1/16th inch acrylic cut and laid over the top of the overflow. No more problems... but it was too late for my Hogfish.
Sorry to hear that mate. But least you can eliminate future adventurous fish.

OP
OP
Neptune 555

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I see a photo of how you stop fish from going over the overflow? I don't get it? If I put something in this spot wont it also obstruct the water flow? AND how are they doing it? going in via the slits or over the top?

I want to make sure this does not happen again...

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back