altantuyaathedoll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blue tang died as I’m writing this
And coral beauty showing severe decaying flesh
Fish have what looks to be bites taken out of their tails I have started melafix today.
What treatment should I be using ?
What is their disease ?
any information will be helpful !

B7E192E3-30FF-40D7-BBE7-BFEFFFE66333.jpeg 371383F5-C2AC-4BB1-8EBB-974F0CD77637.jpeg 4E1276E8-7201-41CC-98A9-20AE9C8007AA.jpeg C5540567-FDE4-4A7B-A4E2-325409982029.jpeg 0552D9B2-F323-4115-B209-E76B20255ED9.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fish have what looks to be bites taken out of their tails I have started melafix today.
What is their disease ?

B7E192E3-30FF-40D7-BBE7-BFEFFFE66333.jpeg 371383F5-C2AC-4BB1-8EBB-974F0CD77637.jpeg 4E1276E8-7201-41CC-98A9-20AE9C8007AA.jpeg C5540567-FDE4-4A7B-A4E2-325409982029.jpeg 0552D9B2-F323-4115-B209-E76B20255ED9.jpeg
There is a huge bacterial issue going on here and the first thing that jumps out at me are the plastic plants with glued gravel which is Non-reef safe and likely leaching Petroleums into the water.
melafix is rendered useless in marine aquaria as it is merely a tonic comprised of Teak tree oil . You need to change out the water at least 50%, get rid of all plastic decor , change the carbon and empty it out and treat with Seachem Kanaplex which is a broad spectrum treatment. Add air stone for added oxygen and Monitor ammonia with a reliable test kit such as Salifert or hanna brand- not a $7 badge, etc.

@Jay Hemdal

Last edited:
OP
OP
altantuyaathedoll

altantuyaathedoll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply.
I will remove the plant, I was told when I bought it it was reef safe !!! Noted .
I will do a water change now and change the carbon.
For the ammonia checks I use the salifert test kit. (the badge it just one I got free I threw on there)

Unfortunately Kanaplex it not readily available to me and will take some time to arrive if I order it now. (I will order it anyways as I will need it)
What else can I do ?
At the moment my medication supplies consist of :
copper seachem cupramine
API general cure
API melafix
Prazipro
This is the second batch of fish In my qt I’ve never ran into anything like this before.
I’d like to learn in order to catch this disease early in the event it happens again.
what would you call this ?
a bacterial infection ?
what is it caused by and how do I avoid it

Tank was set up with rodi water
Temperature is stable
Fish were acclimated drip 1 hour

Fish were all eating in the lfs and looked great to me from what I could see. My lfs is pretty dark and tanks are not lit well so I can never be 100% sure.
As far as symptoms coral beauty started with white growth looking things on base of tail( not fin )two days after I added him to my qt which disappeared.
that’s all I was able to observe .

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just my opinion. Perhaps I'm wrong - and will phone a friend @Jay Hemdal though bacterial infections can certainly cause issues (vibrio/pseudomonas, etc) - Its hard to develop opinions based on dead fish pictures unfortunately. I do not think the plant has anything to do with this - unless it's specifically recommended only for 'freshwater' Only you know that. Agree with @vetteguy53081 many of the supposed reef safe cures for ailments are not. (There are exceptions)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry about this
That could be multiple issues - and need more info
Who is doing the biting?
It depends on what you have available - i.e. - if you can't get antibiotics you can't get them
What is their disease ?
See above
Unfortunately - there is no perfect answer here - and sorry you lost some fish. Part of it could be the source, etc etc

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im a bit of a cowboy, but i have never QT'd anything. I've taken nems/clams out of an established tank to treat, but never upon first arrival. I'd say there is something about the stress of going from a reef/breeder > distributer > shops > home that stresses these animals out enough. Putting them into a large volume of established water has always made more sense to me than a breeder with PVC hiding spots.

BUT, as always, do what makes ya feel good.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply.
I will remove the plant, I was told when I bought it it was reef safe !!! Noted .
I will do a water change now and change the carbon.
For the ammonia checks I use the salifert test kit. (the badge it just one I got free I threw on there)

Unfortunately Kanaplex it not readily available to me and will take some time to arrive if I order it now. (I will order it anyways as I will need it)
What else can I do ?
At the moment my medication supplies consist of :
copper seachem cupramine
API general cure
API melafix
Prazipro
This is the second batch of fish In my qt I’ve never ran into anything like this before.
I’d like to learn in order to catch this disease early in the event it happens again.
what would you call this ?
a bacterial infection ?
what is it caused by and how do I avoid it

Tank was set up with rodi water
Temperature is stable
Fish were acclimated drip 1 hour

Fish were all eating in the lfs and looked great to me from what I could see. My lfs is pretty dark and tanks are not lit well so I can never be 100% sure.
As far as symptoms coral beauty started with white growth looking things on base of tail( not fin )two days after I added him to my qt which disappeared.
that’s all I was able to observe .
With the coral beauty, It does look like a severe bacterial infection, but there is also a rare fungal infection that can look like this.
I can’t say if the tang died from the same issue or not, but it does appear similar.
Are there any other fish in the tank?
Jay

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've used those similar plastic plants in my quarantine tanks for years without issues. I wouldn't worry about removing them. How plastic plants cause a bacterial infection would be very interesting to hear. Those fish entered your quarantine system infected, sadly. I'd clean everything with bleach and let it sit to dry in the sun for a couple of days just to be sure nothing survives for your next batch of fish.

OP
OP
altantuyaathedoll

altantuyaathedoll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the coral beauty, It does look like a severe bacterial infection, but there is also a rare fungal infection that can look like this.
I can’t say if the tang died from the same issue or not, but it does appear similar.
Are there any other fish in the tank?
Jay
There are a few other fish in the tank part of the batch what should I do now ?

OP
OP
altantuyaathedoll

altantuyaathedoll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used those similar plastic plants in my quarantine tanks for years without issues. I wouldn't worry about removing them. How plastic plants cause a bacterial infection would be very interesting to hear. Those fish entered your quarantine system infected, sadly. I'd clean everything with bleach and let it sit to dry in the sun for a couple of days just to be sure nothing survives for your next batch of fish.
Thanks a lot for your advice , I have one question though….
what should I do about the remaining fish which are showing no symptoms so far.
do I treat first ?
where would they go if I were to I’m take down the tank and disinfect etc
I know how to disinfect properly as i always do this between batches.
I have 3 fish in there

OP
OP
altantuyaathedoll

altantuyaathedoll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor guy he was lovely.
he didn’t get a chance to finish the qt and treatment process
I had a feeling he would do great through qt.
I’ve never seen such circumstances before.
hopefully I can learn as much as possible from this to ensure I catch it as early as possible next time.
I’m very observant I check in with the quarantine tank twice a day and note everything down but this sort of happened suddenly over two days.
He was hiding in the pvc pipes I thought he may have been stressed and didn’t want to disturb him.
The way in which the pvc was angled I couldn’t get a 100% look at the fish but as he was eating and everyone else was doing fine I figured it was mild stress. Only once he finally popped out I was able to see clearly.

Attachments

• 442798DB-594F-475A-B01D-B3B596BBED1F.jpeg
    442798DB-594F-475A-B01D-B3B596BBED1F.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
altantuyaathedoll

altantuyaathedoll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about this
That could be multiple issues - and need more info
Who is doing the biting?
It depends on what you have available - i.e. - if you can't get antibiotics you can't get them
What is their disease ?
See above
Unfortunately - there is no perfect answer here - and sorry you lost some fish. Part of it could be the source, etc etc
Thank you for your advice and thanks for your consideration.
i aprechiate it.
Yeah my observation is it looks like bites.
nothing could be biting as there is absolutely no fighting I observed.
I described it as bites because it looks so clean and I’m not fimiliar with what infections look like on fish.
I always thought bacterial infections were more forgiving and it went through a sort of process over time. Not half your fish’s tail is gone boom !!
I know how to spot is fin rot and up until the photos were taken all the fishes fins looked intact.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few other fish in the tank part of the batch what should I do now ?

Sorry - I posted late at night (for me). When I asked about other fish, I meant what species are they? I was trying to identify a possible culprit of an injury that could have advanced to an infection like this.

Jay

OP
OP
altantuyaathedoll

altantuyaathedoll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I posted late at night (for me). When I asked about other fish, I meant what species are they? I was trying to identify a possible culprit of an injury that could have advanced to an infection like this.

Jay
no worries. It was late for me too ! Yeah sorry I should have included :
Mimic surgeonfish
deceased blue tang
deceased coral beauty
Two fire fish
A rabbit face in separate section as I know they can sting fish. I’ve had fish die in the past to stings in qt

OP
OP
altantuyaathedoll

altantuyaathedoll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps the remaining fish are in clean water (changed)
stable with no symptoms. I want to know what precations to take now I’m planning to observe for a few days and begin copper and get them through one round
then to the prazipro and metro
If I have to treat before stating my regular treatment process I will. Also I’m getting a tank tomorrow Becuse I need it in the future.
Please do advise

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no worries. It was late for me too ! Yeah sorry I should have included :
Mimic surgeonfish
deceased blue tang
deceased coral beauty
Two fire fish
A rabbit face in separate section as I know they can sting fish. I’ve had fish die in the past to stings in qt
No nasty fish in that group, I just wanted to rule that out, thanks,

Jay

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for your advice , I have one question though….
what should I do about the remaining fish which are showing no symptoms so far.
do I treat first ?
where would they go if I were to I’m take down the tank and disinfect etc
I know how to disinfect properly as i always do this between batches.
I have 3 fish in there

If these are other fish that have been in contact with the 2 dead "infected" fish, then I would begin treatment on them immediately...treating for possible bacterial infections or fungal infections first before going into copper or prazi treatments.

It would be best to disinfect the tank, if possible. Some people have been successful even quarantining in a 5g bucket if you need to move the fish.

OP
OP
altantuyaathedoll

altantuyaathedoll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If these are other fish that have been in contact with the 2 dead "infected" fish, then I would begin treatment on them immediately...treating for possible bacterial infections or fungal infections first before going into copper or prazi treatments.

It would be best to disinfect the tank, if possible. Some people have been successful even quarantining in a 5g bucket if you need to move the fish.
Thanks after I treat for bacterial I will wait and observe after and begin my treatment with copper and prazipro
But what medication should I use for this bacterial issue ???!!

Back