Fish in qt starting to become sick and clueless of diagnosis

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks after I treat for bacterial I will wait and observe after and begin my treatment with copper and prazipro
But what medication should I use for this bacterial issue ???!!
I'm not sure if it is suspected to be fungal, honestly.

But, if bacterial, you have some options. You can attempt to mix some antibiotics with food plus Focus (to bind the food to the meds) and feed 2x/day for 10 days.

Or, you can use antibiotics as a bath:

1. Kanaplex + Furan2 + Metroplex -- this is a triple attack which helps greatly with both gram + and gram - bacteria. I suspect yours may be gram negative since it was so devastating. Follow the directions on the packets...usually dosing the water column every 48hrs for 10-14 days.
-or-
2. Ruby Reef Rally - 90 min bath

OP
OP
altantuyaathedoll

altantuyaathedoll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But, if bacterial, you have some options. You can attempt to mix some antibiotics with food plus Focus (to bind the food to the meds) and feed 2x/day for 10 days.

1. Kanaplex + Furan2 + Metroplex -- this is a triple attack which helps greatly with both gram + and gram - bacteria. I suspect yours may be gram negative since it was so devastating. Follow the directions on the packets...usually dosing the water column every 48hrs for 10-14 days.
-or-
Thank you so much . I will see what meds I can get and start treatment .
thanks !

OP
OP
altantuyaathedoll

altantuyaathedoll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how things turned out for you.
Thanks :). Well I’ve Been meaning to update but got caught up. So i had to order the medication as it’s not available at any lfs nearby and it arrived 3 days ago. I also picked up an identical 20 gallon aquarium, and transfered the fish into it wirh the medication kanaplex furan2. I dint manage to find melaplex. But I did find rubyreefrally. I decided to go the bath route as that makes the most sense to me

My treatment plan is to finish treatment over 10 days wirh kana+furan2 and then do a ruby reef bath.
im on day 3 of treatment with kana+furan2.
update us
After the blue tang and coral beauty :(((((((( sadly died,no one showed symptoms while I was waiting for the medication to get to me. And everyone is eating normal and looks great thankfully.

I just don’t want to risk this getting into my display tank at alll … it’s scary.
I have a very sensitive fish in my display tank and I can’t imagine anything happening to him. Strangely this reminds me of an illness I came across when I had my first tank, I remember a shockingly similar illness that killed one of my sish.
I remember I was clueless treating with copper thinking it was velvet ……. ;( .
So I guess it’s good in a way in that I now know about this type of issue and have the medication on hand to be able to treat this in the future.
two questions
will my treatment plan cover all possibilities ?

and is rubyreefrally bath treatment enough on its own for future knowledge to cover suspected bacterial issues.
I learned copper for velvet/ ick
Prazipro flukes only
API general cure internal + external parasites
bacterial issues : working on it

:) thanks so much everyone for the help !!!
much appreciated

surfcreatr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blue tang died as I’m writing this
And coral beauty showing severe decaying flesh
Fish have what looks to be bites taken out of their tails I have started melafix today.
What treatment should I be using ?
What is their disease ?
any information will be helpful !

B7E192E3-30FF-40D7-BBE7-BFEFFFE66333.jpeg 371383F5-C2AC-4BB1-8EBB-974F0CD77637.jpeg 4E1276E8-7201-41CC-98A9-20AE9C8007AA.jpeg C5540567-FDE4-4A7B-A4E2-325409982029.jpeg 0552D9B2-F323-4115-B209-E76B20255ED9.jpeg
same thing happened to me with a new leaf scorpionfish. In one day his rear fins and his body just started to eat away overnight. Didn't take long for it to pass. Not enough time to treat.

OP
OP
altantuyaathedoll

altantuyaathedoll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same thing happened to me with a new leaf scorpionfish. In one day his rear fins and his body just started to eat away overnight. Didn't take long for it to pass. Not enough time to treat.
Exactly what happened to me.
With me I chose my fish and I kept the fish at the lfs. I asked them to separate into one tank and observed them almost two weeks !!!!! All looked great. I think the bad bacteria saw its chance and took advantage of the fish, they were under some stress from moving into my qt.
Fist few days they were fine and all eating. And then as you said over night. So sad really !

OP
OP
altantuyaathedoll

altantuyaathedoll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry for your loss. Don’t be sad this can happen. I’m
My issue is I build a bond with them while they are in qt that’s the worst.
I can’t help it and it makes it all the more sadder.

For the blue tang he was small and timid initially even at the lfs.
it was so nice to see his confidence grow and he was even outcompeting the coral beauty for food hehe. He would get excited eating flying around the qt and bump into my coral beauty more than a few times.

OP
OP
altantuyaathedoll

altantuyaathedoll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-or-
What about api triple sulpha can that be used exclusively to cover the issue . Or would that need to be used wirh something else as well . I saw that also but didn’t get it

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about api triple sulpha can that be used exclusively to cover the issue . Or would that need to be used wirh something else as well . I saw that also but didn’t get it
I'm not familiar with those medications. But, whatever you use, make sure you have a strong surface agitation with either a powerhead or airstone to keep oxygen in the water while dosing.

OP
OP
altantuyaathedoll

altantuyaathedoll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with those medications. But, whatever you use, make sure you have a strong surface agitation with either a powerhead or airstone to keep oxygen in the water while dosing.
Ok thanks doc !!! yeah I always have an airdrome in any qt and I turn it up when using medications .

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%

Back