Fish Injured, Swimming Weakly

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish is very thin, and either diseased or not eating. Sorry for the trouble :(

OP
OP
O

OceanTeacher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your advice and patient replies. Sadly, the tang died earlier today. :( I'm still not sure of the reason.
But I really appreciate your judgement-free help, and I will use what I have learned to take better care of the remaining fish. I will continue to test the water, and will do more research into the individual fish I keep.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your advice and patient replies. Sadly, the tang died earlier today. :( I'm still not sure of the reason.
But I really appreciate your judgement-free help, and I will use what I have learned to take better care of the remaining fish. I will continue to test the water, and will do more research into the individual fish I keep.

Sorry to hear that. :(

Keep in mind tangs have extremely high metabolism. Compare them to athletes. They have to eat all day long to keep up with the burnoff. So that's why the nori is so helpful. They can graze most of the day.

Wish you the best moving forward.

srusso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be hard on yourself. Its most likely the bug spray in that killed him. Considering he had been in the schools care for 4 years... If keeping water chemistry clean, balanced, etc was an issue then you would have likely seen it sooner. I assume you have an air bubbler or air stone in the aquarium? If so, that could have been a source of the bug spray getting into the tank. Gosh, that's really tough, he could have died also of lack of oxygen, of the tank had to be covered and bubbler was shut off. Kind of had no choice it seems. How often are they spraying in the school?

OP
OP
O

OceanTeacher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was just the once, as a precaution for mosquito-borne disease that had been found in the area.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back