Fish is now dead ... but from what?

CrystallConrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this pic a few days ago Bc my fish started losing color ... it has now died .
Ontop of the dis coloration it stopped eating and also began to just swim with the flow. This is the 2nd fish to die randomly like this in my tank in about 2 months . First one was a flame angel. The only thing that seems to survive this tank is my maroon gold bar pair. Other then that I can’t keep anything alive it seems.

parameters are all normal and checked if not every night then every other day.

A1FBC9F5-7B56-4BCD-B642-AA93B3937562.jpeg

OP
OP
CrystallConrad

CrystallConrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As juv .
some angelfish can be tricky to feed .
Any sign of the clowns Bullying the angelfish

Noo see we’ve had our clowns for about 5 years now ... they have survived ich 2 times and just seem indestructible. We recently moved them into our QT tank because they are very aggressive and actually bullied a stingray to death. We added this fish while they were in the QT so they’ve never even came in contact :/

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be disease and the clownfish who survived the ich may have built up some type of immunity from it... so sorry for your losses. Hopefully somebody more experienced than me can come and help you figure out your disease issues soon.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Unless you went fowler (no fish in tank for at least 8 weeks), velvet can survive. Treatment would be a medication that says " Treats Oodinum". The QT tank/tank water may have been an issue, An acclimation/breeder box would have been best but I understand being reactive to such circumstance.
I would test water in QT for Ammonia-NO3-PH-Salinity and tank temp. I dont see any damage or fin damage which suggests clowns were aggressive to angel and may have succumbed to velvet

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Could be disease and the clownfish who survived the ich may have built up some type of immunity from it... so sorry for your losses. Hopefully somebody more experienced than me can come and help you figure out your disease issues soon.
Fish dont build immunity to disease. Resistant to, maybe but not immune.

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish dont build immunity to disease. Resistant to, maybe but not immune.
Yes that's what I meant. Shouldn't use those terms interchangeably, whoops. Didn’t mean to mislead anybody.

And I've personally had fish become resistant to ich after being exposed to it, although this is not the same as the velvet the OP might be describing.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this pic a few days ago Bc my fish started losing color ... it has now died .
Ontop of the dis coloration it stopped eating and also began to just swim with the flow. This is the 2nd fish to die randomly like this in my tank in about 2 months . First one was a flame angel. The only thing that seems to survive this tank is my maroon gold bar pair. Other then that I can’t keep anything alive it seems.

parameters are all normal and checked if not every night then every other day.

A1FBC9F5-7B56-4BCD-B642-AA93B3937562.jpeg
Did you see rapid breathing in the fish followed within 48 hours by death? If not, then it wasn’t velvet.
Much more likely given the time frame and the species involved, and that blotchy skin, the tank has a Neobenedenia infection. This is an external worm like parasite that is clear so you can’t easily see it, just the damage it can do. Clownfish are not as prone to this disease as angelfish are.
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back