Fish keep dying, except starry blenny

doctordox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that I am in the right part of the forum for this. Apologies if not! So long story short, in December I had a 3 month old tank, with a handful of clown fish and I added a starry blenny. All was totally fine, and suddenly in January, after I was aggressively cleaning the tank (I initially thought I moved things around too much), and I came in to my office where my tank is at and all of my clowns were dead, but the blenny is fine. So fast forward months later, Ive lost a bunch of Chromies and a Wrasse. My inverts, and Blenny have zero issues.

Every fish I add, dies within 48 hours.

Water tests totally fine really, but I had an algae breakout that was bad (now eliminated basically) and I think I had like zero nitrates in my tank because of that.

Could these fish keep dying because of a lack of nitrates in the water? IM so confused, and im starting to get upset over this. I love my tank. The Blenny is in heaven with the remaining algae, and he seems to be totally fine after all these months.

Ive changed my charcoal out multiple times, ive done big water changes. Any suggestions? Im very very confused as to what to do. Even local fish stores are a bit confused by why my water tests basically fine, but yet nothing survives.

Ive thought about just doing a huge water change, usually I do 10 % change. Its a 55 gallon tank, no sump just double filters and I dont do corals (yet).

I appreciate all and any responses!

Last edited:

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate on “aggressively cleaning” your tank? Ask the LFS to double check your salinity as well especially if you’re using a swing-arm refractometer.

Last edited:
Upvote 2
OP
OP
D

doctordox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never once ever had this issue before, and ive had tanks for 10 years in the past. I never got a big enough tank to get tangs and things like that but I always had great success with clowns, and blennys etc. This is new territory for me. Any suggestion for treating this and a direction to look? Or is this some secret jedi fight club code you cant talk about?

Upvote 1

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could the Benny be a killer? How is it that every fish does other than the Blenny, I know it’s weird but I saw some blennies that are crazy aggressive even killing tangs

Upvote 1

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will check oxygen levels. i need to get a kit

You don't need to check this now... what I am saying is if there is enough debris disturbed it can cause a bacterial bloom which can rapidly eat up oxygen. This is generally a temporary/short lived thing and no need to test it. It is likely not an issue now but may be what happened to the clowns at the time.

Chromis are prone to urenoma which can also be internal, plus they like to beat each other up.

I am not sure what type of wrasse you had?

Also Starrys can be territorial but 4 fish dying at once means something more happened then a fiesty blenny. That doesn't mean he isn't responsible for a different fish but also we may just be pointing fingers. It is best to add fish when you have time around the house to monitor. Sometimes I even set up a cheap cam I can look on my phone to watch the fish. They are only 20 bucks on amazon. Besides, sometimes fish behave differently when we are not in the room.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
D

doctordox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your fish died from fish disease or ammonia poisoning. you'll have to learn about fish disease, how to diagnose, how to treat and how to effectively qt your tank, existing fish and new fish.
I had just gotten a wrasse that was at a shop for cheap, and because everything tested fine I figured id be good, but he died in 48 hours. The others I wondered if maybe they got velvet? But my clowns all died at once back in december. Any tips on what to look at to improve and learn?

Upvote 0

Jtk920

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple questions. What are the water parameters, what are you using to test? Your probably getting a false reading on nitrite if theres a lot of algae as the algae will consume it. What size is the tank, what filtration?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

doctordox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple questions. What are the water parameters, what are you using to test? Your probably getting a false reading on nitrite if theres a lot of algae as the algae will consume it. What size is the tank, what filtration?
I have a 55 gallon, two hang on filters and I have two power heads in there. I opted out of the sump to start but IM wondering if I need to just go the distance and upgrade my system. I did the tank in october. Usually I have great luck with salt water tanks but this has been frustrating.

I take it to my local store and they test it. I can get it tested today and report back with official parameters.

Upvote 0

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the option for people who do not want to learn about or do not have the time to deal with fish disease is to buy fully qt fish. they are sold at a premium. other considerations are that existing tanks with fish already inside or prior fish death are most likely infested with some type of disease and will strike again if left untreated. also be aware that anything you add to the tank that is wet, like rocks, corals, snails etc, can bring in disease. a strict protocol for introduction is required or you will continue to waste your money and kill animals.

Upvote 0

Jtk920

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your looking for answers from people who don't have all the information about your water quality and tank setup. It may not be disease, it could very well be your water. What's the ammonia level at?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

doctordox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your looking for answers from people who don't have all the information about your water quality and tank setup. It may not be disease, it could very well be your water. What's the ammonia level at?
ill report back with parameters at lunch. gotta go get it tested fully and write down the data.

things I remember, my salinity was a tiny bit off (since has gotten right or Im imagining) but not bad according to my local shop, and my nitrates were zero. They had been surprised i had no luck with fish cause things were testing fine but ill be back in an hour or two with info.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

doctordox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate on “aggressively cleaning” your tank? Double check salinity as well.
Sure, I was getting the algae off and out of my tank, and (moronic move) this was back in first week of january, I had moved too much of the sand (not a LOT but enough) and my first batch of fish deaths were definitively an ammonia spike. the Blenny has survived all of this. Hes a real champ. And I let the tank cycle for january-march. and the last month ive tried to add some fish to no success.

Upvote 0

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you know the first deaths are from ammonia, then it may be best to let the tank settle a bit before adding any more fish. If there was a lot of algae, then the algae may have been helping to control the ammonia.

Also, my experience with chromis is that they either kill each other or magically disappear. I imagine at night when the lights are off they go Highlander on each other. Start off with 5, the next day there are 3, and the next day there are 2, until only 1 is left. I’d avoid chromis in a 55 gal.

This may be helpful. https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/ammonia-is-it-causing-your-algae-problems.602/

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

doctordox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you know the first deaths are from ammonia, then it may be best to let the tank settle a bit before adding any more fish. If there was a lot of algae, then the algae may have been helping to control the ammonia.

Also, my experience with chromis is that they either kill each other or magically disappear. I imagine at night when the lights are off they go Highlander on each other. Start off with 5, the next day there are 3, and the next day there are 2, until only 1 is left. I’d avoid chromis in a 55 gal.

This may be helpful. https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/ammonia-is-it-causing-your-algae-problems.602/
Yeha its been like 3 months or almost 4 since that incident. So Id imagine im good right now.

The Chormies are ridiculous, I have probably bought 12 in my life time through multiple tanks and only like two ever survived long term lol. Im never buying them again lol. I just want a few really cool fish that have character. My Starry Blenny is so cool, glad hes been totally fine. Guess maybe him being an algae eater has benefits for being hardy.

Thanks for the link! reading now

I also took out rocks and got rid of a lot of algae recently after watching videos on how to eliminate algae. So ive cut down the algae in my tank by probably 80 %.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

doctordox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thats a great link. thank you so much

Upvote 0

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your fish died from fish disease or ammonia poisoning. you'll have to learn about fish disease, how to diagnose, how to treat and how to effectively qt your tank, existing fish and new fish.
Sorry, but this sounds like awfully big leap in conclusion based on very little detailed info provided by the OP.

Could it be disease? Possibly.
Could it be ammonia? Who knows without more info on how the rock and/or tank were cycled.

Also, what about...

Oxygen deprivation. The OP said he had clowns and a blenny ... but never how many clowns or what sized tank. Perhaps the blenny is less sensitive to low O2 levels.

Incorrect acclimation. How were the new fish acclimated?

Stress and bullying? AFIAK, in small tank a starry blenny can be very territorial. If it's larger than the other fish added and the tank is small, it is a possibility.

OP, I would provide some more detailed info in order to help people you zero in on the potential causes or causes.

Tank parameters including temp, salinity, ammonia reading, nitrite reading. (PO4 and NO3 should not cause fish death unless they are way, way through the roof.)

Also tank size. Tank age. The method of acclimation you used on the fish. Etc.

More info will = the ability to provide better guidance.

Okay... I see you provided tank size 55g. And if it has been up for several months, I find it hard to believe you'd still have high ammonia ... unless you have little or not live rock. Still worth testing for though. It should also ... but not necessarily rule out aggression from the blenny. Have you noticed any?

I would suggest you provide the other info listed above as well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

doctordox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon, with 6 or 7 big rocks, I can upload a picture. I got it tested but I need to get my own kit so I can fill you guys in on everything. Sand bed is about

All I have for data right now is 2.8 salinity (definitely high, doing a change today). PH is 8.0 Nitrates 0. Water Temp is 78.

For acclimation of the fish, id leave them in the bag floating for 30 minutes to1 hour pending on the fish. And I would do a bit of a drip as well after about 20 minutes. The chromies I let float for 15 and started a drip, then the Wrasse I let float for an hour and started dripping at 30.

The blenny seems more curious than aggressive at least when im here watching the tank. He seems pretty chill.

I also have quite a bit of surface agitation now, more than previous months with my new power heads. I have two hang on filters, but im debating doing a hang on refugium sooner than later.

Using a normal LED light until today when my Nicrew light comes.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back