Fish living in a QT

Preacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on my first saltwater tank in a while and would like to use a QT tank for eventually stocking it. Would it be ok to cycle the QT and just let a small fish live in there? It would be a 29g with some pvc and a HOB filter. Is the only problem any medication that might be introduced on new fish on their way to the DT? I was thinking about a fish that isnt reef safe, but one that would give the QT a reason to stay up and running.

TIA -

Preacher

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on my first saltwater tank in a while and would like to use a QT tank for eventually stocking it. Would it be ok to cycle the QT and just let a small fish live in there? It would be a 29g with some pvc and a HOB filter. Is the only problem any medication that might be introduced on new fish on their way to the DT? I was thinking about a fish that isnt reef safe, but one that would give the QT a reason to stay up and running.

TIA -

Preacher
I always keep fish in my QT to keep them operational. The only time I don’t is if there was an unresolved disease in the tank that I couldn’t cure - then I sterilize the system.
Jay

OP
OP
P

Preacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply Jay! Do you dose every fish that goes into QT, or simply observe until you see something that causes you concern?

Can you describe your QT for me? I was thinking the requirements would be: 1. Bare bottom 2. Heater 3. Powerhead 4. HOB filter 5. Some type of structure (maybe cheap aquarium rock that I could just toss if I need to medicate the tank). 6. Do you even need a light?

Preacher

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply Jay! Do you dose every fish that goes into QT, or simply observe until you see something that causes you concern?

Can you describe your QT for me? I was thinking the requirements would be: 1. Bare bottom 2. Heater 3. Powerhead 4. HOB filter 5. Some type of structure (maybe cheap aquarium rock that I could just toss if I need to medicate the tank). 6. Do you even need a light?

Preacher
I dose every fish, too easy to miss things otherwise. 72 hours after the fish go in, I start a 30 day coppersafe treatment. Then, I dose prazi 3 times a week apart. Finally, I observe the fish for two weeks. At the end, I give the fish a FW dip to look for Neobenedenia. If I see that, they get 35 days of low salinity.
I just light the tanks with ambient room light, but cover them and watch the ammonia very closely.
Jay

Back