fish missing

KDB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new at this hobby and honestly, I'm not sure if its for me, as it seems like its ALWAYS a challenge.
My first group of fish died to velvet, and now my second round is also causing confusion.

I had a royal gramma for 6 months, I added more fish to my tank and it vanished. It was so healthy and vibrant and then it was hiding for a day or two, but I could still see her because I knew the regular hiding spot. I have not seen her in 5 days at least. I can't imagine that its still alive, as I have been actively searching. Now, the same thing is happening with my black cap basslet. He was fine, yesterday was hiding a bit, now he is gone? Im so confused. I got both fish at the same time.

I added new fish about 2 weeks ago, I added a blue tang and 3 chromis. The gramma and basslet were fine for the first week with the new fish, now they are completely MIA.

Any advice?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need more tank info to help. Are you using rodi water? are you monitoring parameters? weekly water changes? Rodi water tested? Did you get already pre quarantined fish or did you qt? Chromis are notorious for bringing in uronema and hippos usually have an external parasite or 2 unless treated with medication

OP
OP
KDB

KDB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need more tank info to help. Are you using rodi water? are you monitoring parameters? weekly water changes? Rodi water tested? Did you get already pre quarantined fish or did you qt? Chromis are notorious for bringing in uronema and hippos usually have an external parasite or 2 unless treated with medication
All fish I purchased from a supplier that quarantines and treats. I do not have a quarantine tank. I use reverse osmosis drinking water for water changes, I do them weekly.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My royal gramma hides a lot. It also seems to find a new hole it can crawl into. I would try to check the tank at night when the lights are off it may be more likely to come out. Also do you have a lid? If not check for carpet surfers behind your tank. That would be a sad ending but may answer the question.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish I purchased from a supplier that quarantines and treats. I do not have a quarantine tank. I use reverse osmosis drinking water for water changes, I do them weekly.
What about parameters of the tank ie. salinity, nitrate, phosphate, and pH? Is this an AIO or is there a protein skimmer of O2 oxygenation? There is just a lot i dont know about the tank, so trying my best to figure out what could be an issue

OP
OP
KDB

KDB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about parameters of the tank ie. salinity, nitrate, phosphate, and pH? Is this an AIO or is there a protein skimmer of O2 oxygenation? There is just a lot i dont know about the tank, so trying my best to figure out what could be an issue
I use a fluval master kit, so its a bit tricky to read.
Salt - 1.023
NO2 - .1
PH - 7.5-8
Ammonia - .1
N03 - 10mg.

OP
OP
KDB

KDB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I pulled out the tank and found this guy hiding, but he is not eating and hasn't been like this before. Do you think he looks okay?

Attachments

• tempImagemsmuXU.png
    tempImagemsmuXU.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 38

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is a black cap basselt that is very common of them to hid like that leave the guy alone lol

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tang and chromis are odd, tang could have jumped though and chromis have terrible track records so it might be nothing but gotta ask all the questions to be sure. Sorry if its a bit annoying, ik just trying to be thorough

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ph is low, what are you using for aeration? also i would bump up the salinity a bit to 1.024-1.025 because of the increase alk bump and subsequent pH bump (using a refractometer and calibration solution at 1.026 i assume?)

OP
OP
KDB

KDB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tang and chromis are odd, tang could have jumped though and chromis have terrible track records so it might be nothing but gotta ask all the questions to be sure. Sorry if its a bit annoying, ik just trying to be thorough
sorry - can you elaborate a little. What do you mean by odd?

OP
OP
KDB

KDB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ph is low, what are you using for aeration? also i would bump up the salinity a bit to 1.024-1.025 because of the increase alk bump and subsequent pH bump (using a refractometer and calibration solution at 1.026 i assume?)
Thanks for all the advice.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry - can you elaborate a little. What do you mean by odd?
They are fish that are usually out and about, to not see a tang for a week it is almost certainly dead

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tang always hides. She will come out only to let me know it is hungry, and darts back in. When I am working on the tank at face level she comes out and looks at me

OP
OP
KDB

KDB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are fish that are usually out and about, to not see a tang for a week it is almost certainly dead
the tang and the chromis are out and doing well. Its just the Bassett who is stopping eating and not coming out anymore and the gramma who is completely missing and assumed dead.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, yea that is very common for basslet and gramma for them to hide in rockwork, i thought the others were missing as well, how big is the tank?

OP
OP
KDB

KDB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, yea that is very common for basslet and gramma for them to hide in rockwork, i thought the others were missing as well, how big is the tank?
I just found my black basslet belly up. Just so confused

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may just be aggresion and the tang and chromis being able to outcompete the gramma and basslet. hard to tell, it didnt look like any thing external by the last photo you took

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back