revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BlueRibbonEel_zps20ea77d4.jpg

SCIENTIFIC NAME - Rhinomuraena quaesita

COMMON NAME - Ribbon Eel ( Black Ribbon Eel, Blue Ribbon Eel)

SIZE - 3.9 ft. (1.2m)

MIN. AQUARIUM SIZE - 30 US Gal. (114 L)

FOODS AND FEEDING - Live feeder fish, mollies, guppies and gradually switch to marine fish and crustacean flesh, crab, scallops, squid on a feeding stick, Feed 2 times per week to satiation

REEF COMPATIBILITY - May eat crustaceans and small fish

CAPTIVE CARE – This species is subject to not feeding in captivity. Provide a fine or rubble substrate for burrowing with plenty of hiding places. Acclimating to captivity in a small aquarium first will help and once feeding transfer to the main tank. Any small hole in the canopy or elsewhere will provide an escape route, so a tight fitting lid is a must. The ribbon eels are also known to swim up siphon tubes that do not have strainers on them. All female ribbon eels have transformed from males and juvenile coloration may be different than the adult coloration. Color transformation commences at around 25-32" (65-80cm) in length. At about 33" (85 cm) the eel begins to develop female sex organs. More than one can be kept in a tank, however, be aware of cannibalism or other difficulties that may arise, if more than one is to be kept introduce at the same time.

frugner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After our second one died a few weeks ago, we have decided to not get anymore. they are just so hard to get to eat and the water has to be perfect. but sooooooo gorgeous!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back