Fish of the Day: Spotted or Psychedelic Mandarinfish

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Spotted Mandarinfish, Psychedelic Mandarinfish, Picture Dragonet / Synchiropus picturatis

3511218728_013fe88746.jpg

SCIENTIFIC NAME –Synchiropus ocelattus

COMMON NAME – Spotted Mandarinfish, Psychedelic Mandarinfish, Picture Dragonet

SIZE – 2.8" (7 cm)

MIN. AQUARIUM SIZE – 20 US Gal. (76 L)

FOODS AND FEEDING – The Spotted Mandarinfish consumes finely chopped meaty foods, black worms, shaved shrimp, and vitamin enriched live brine shrimp. Should be fed a minimum of 3 times per day in a non-reef barebottom tank.

REEF COMPATIBILITY – Yes.

CAPTIVE CARE – It is difficult to provide sufficient food for long term success with the Spotted Mandarinfish. A well established population of copepods is a plus, as is an established reef with a mature sand substrate. Only one male should be kept per tank, and it may be aggressive toward other dragonets. This species should be housed with non-aggressive tank mates and provided with a large area of open substrate. The Spotted Mandarinfish is a bottom feeder, so food must be available for a sufficient amount of time, with limited competition from other bottom feeders that may consume food too quickly. This fish will bury itself if it is threatened and sometimes at night. Exercise caution when housing this fish with anemones, as it may be eaten.

Dashiki

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cute little guys I have 2 red mandarins.

I hate seeing thee tried in smaller tanks. The food requirements are severely misunderstood. Just seeing pods isn't enough nthey eat thousands!

I wish I could have these with my other guys I love they way they flutter their fins.

Also called target mandarin.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back