Fish opinion

socalfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a 200 fowlr with about 200 lb's of rock and everyone has been situated for a while now. I have no substrate so the wave fans go hard and the tank is fairly clean all the time.

clown trig - 10-11 inch
humu trig - 7"
pineapple trig - 3"
pink tail trig - 5"
Emperor angel - 6-7"
spanish hog fish - 3"
cleaner wrasse - 3.5"

I want to add 4-5 Orchid Dottybacks and a 3" Red Snooty Wrasse. I was going to add like 7-9 yellow tail damsel fish, but i feel like groups of damsels are not really sustainable. I see people talking they keep certain dottybacks in large setups with big fish undisturbed? What do you guys think? im trying to add a splash of movement from smaller fish and to help eat up the uneaten pellets and meat. Opinions?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 Orchid and Indigo dottybacks went at it for a few weeks until they settled down, so I’m not sure 4-5 would be entirely peaceful. Then again, I have 4 damsels (1 Azure and 3 Blue Devil) that get along well (the blue devils were all young tank mates and got along).

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know about Damsel's reputation for picking each other off-- and it has happened to me in smaller tanks-- but my 5-foot 150 gallon tank has held steady with 7 Damsels. I bet if you added 10 at once to your 200-gallon tank, with the 200 lbs of rock, you might even see 8-9 make it (i.e., get along). ;Happy

OP
OP
socalfishy

socalfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my buddies are on page 3 "what fish are in your tank" thread.

So i made my mind up and ordered 4 Orchid dottybacks, and 4 Talbot damsels. Hopefully a very nice splash of purple and pinks. I literally have NONE of that color spectrum in the tank.

I was looking at photos and videos in the wild and see they inhabit alot of skeletonized dead brain corals. I bought 2 fairly large brain coral skeletons that i plan to put in the tank ready for them after QT.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing absolutely fantastic— the tank lights are off for the night, but if I remember to snap a photo soon, I will! ;)

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
766638BD-131A-4432-A9F9-F9A7E2278C39.jpeg

French Angel is doing great... now if I can only get one of my two “female” Blue Throat Triggers to make the big switch! Lol.

OP
OP
socalfishy

socalfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea im done adding to this particular tank. The puffer and 4 Talbots went in the other day after their APi Gc QT. It appears the map puffer is very very active at night time, i am starting to think they are nocturnal? Eats ALOT, Parks and sleeps ALOT.

The 4 orchid dottybacks, i had a change of heart and put them in my 30 reef and they are striving in there. The 4 Talbots damsels hit the water and immediately went to war with eachother in my big display. 3 of them picked out dominant spaces and refused to let the smaller house or eat with them. Im trying to spot feed the odd ball but it doesnt stand a chance in such a fast pace tank. All 4 were very tight knit in QT not in big display. It wont make it if it never overcomes fear of the other damsels.

Back