Fish Overeating?

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a fish eat too much, in the sense that they actually hurt themselves?

This may be a dumb question, but when I tried to search, all I see is responses about feeding too much and elevated nutrients. I don't care about algae, this is my 2nd tank.

I have two new anthias in the tank for 8 days and are extremely skittish. There is also a leopard wrasse that's been in there a few months (but was way smaller than I expected her to be so I'm letting her get bigger before transferring). I finally got one anthias to eat today by sitting in front of the tank like a statue and very slowly feeding live brine over and over. Needless to say the wrasse has gorged herself and stomach looks super full.

I feel like I need to continue to get the other one eating as it's been over a week, but worried to continue feeding. Haven't started Prazi either as I wanted to get them eating.

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I’ve wondered this too. But ultimately, I think they’ll just throw it up if need be.

I have a gold spot rabbit that will gorge herself on nori sheets (I put minimal amount in at a time and she eats ALL OF IT) to the point where there is no way she isn’t in pain. Same thing with feeding meaty foods. My eel will also eat until she’s sick.

Both will just puke it up so I have to be the limited on them to not pollute my tank. But my rabbit must not be feeling sooo bad after throwing up since she goes right for it to eat it again .... **shakes head**

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back