Fish pale from stopping copper or antibiotics?

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my little guy here is a foxface and i was doing normal quarantine procedure (was in the middle of copper treatment) when his fin rot started getting worse. He had fin rot when he arrived. So i stopped the copper and started furan2. Hes still eating a lot but now he turned so pale. He looked like the first few days i had him, before copper treatment (a bit pale). When i started ramping up the copper, he had a lot more colour, though, the fin rot was an issue. Does he have maybe velvet or ich maybe that i cant see? A note: I was just doing copper for preventative measures and i have a lot of water movement, hob filter and a wavemaker. He also lost a bit of his activeness.
F18CC97C-F08C-4B09-ABF6-1A98BD9FBB82.jpeg
09FED27C-9D74-4ED4-AF32-9DFCA317514E.jpeg

The top one is him now, the bottom one is in copper. Sorry bout the blur, the furan makes id hard to get a decent pic. So is it the fin rot growing worse, something with copper, or is it just the antibiotics effects and that im worrying about nothing.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe he’s just stressed from the copper treatment and fluctuations in the copper levels along with antibiotics? Definitely see stress coloration on him.
Ive stopped the copper, and hes now staying near the wavemaker, gettin a bit nervous because of that. yeah i see the stress coloration, can see it better irl. He usually stays newr the pvc or heater when not swiming around, but now he mostly stays near the wavemaker (not swimming towards it though). My tank got wiped by velvet and the last thing i saw before them suddenly dying was swimming into the powerhead thats why im kinda worried he might have velvet that im not seeing and since the coppers out its showing up again?

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, sorry. I’ll let the more experienced members chime in. Do you know what brought in the velvet last time?

Are you using tank water in your QT?
Didnt properly quarantine last time (impatient and kind of stupid) just from observation, had what i thought was ich and treated with copper, didnt do a no med observation tank though. Suddenly everything was dead. And no im not using tank water since it was not fully cycled when i first started qt, now it is though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin rot is a bacterial infection. Copper suppresses their immune system. Here’s a the treatment recommendation from someone many consider an expert.
EB5FC086-FA77-4C92-8D88-1793526C22DB.png
So if its common, think i should just continue the copper treatment while furan or stop it?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish is eating then I would continue treatment and feed high quality foods with vitamins to help the fish immune system. There’s antibiotic baths that people use also, I can’t recall exactly what is used but you should be able to find it easily on here. Good luck with your fish!

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish is eating then I would continue treatment and feed high quality foods with vitamins to help the fish immune system. There’s antibiotic baths that people use also, I can’t recall exactly what is used but you should be able to find it easily on here. Good luck with your fish!
Thanks, hope this fishy pulls through

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s antibiotic baths that people use also, I can’t recall exactly what is used but you should be able to find it easily on here.
Ciprofloxacin is one of the best antibiotics to use in a 60 minute bath for treating bacterial infections. Dose 250 mg in 1 gallon of tank water. Aerate and heat during bath. You can do this bath once a day for 7-10 days.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very possible it's the copper treatment stressing it out, but I would keep on with your qt process. It's tough on fish, I just finished my first qt on my sailfin, but over the last 1.5 months of being in qt, the sailfin had ups and downs as far as colouration goes, ate well and swims great throughout the whole process...but for sure I thought I was going to loose it a couple of times.
Best of luck with your foxface, I really like how they look.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very possible it's the copper treatment stressing it out, but I would keep on with your qt process. It's tough on fish, I just finished my first qt on my sailfin, but over the last 1.5 months of being in qt, the sailfin had ups and downs as far as colouration goes, ate well and swims great throughout the whole process...but for sure I thought I was going to loose it a couple of times.
Best of luck with your foxface, I really like how they look.
Its still eating aggressively so im guessing, not too stressed to the point of not eating. And as i know fox faces are really paranoid fishes. He was staying still near the pvc on the ground with camo colours not moving, a few mins later he swam up to the front looking for food.
Ciprofloxacin is one of the best antibiotics to use in a 60 minute bath for treating bacterial infections. Dose 250 mg in 1 gallon of tank water. Aerate and heat during bath. You can do this bath once a day for 7-10 days.
And for the baths im guessing i cant do it with copper? Since the copper level will drop when in the 1 gallon? Or do i just dose the 1 gallon with the copper?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back