Fish parasitic?

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today when we arrived home from work, we noticed some possible parasites on a few of our fish. Do not know where they came from, but that does not matter. Here is a photo of two fish. The clown has, what looks like warts and the blue tang, what looks like black dots. I guess they have flukes and black ick.
1663798813502.png
1663798866943.png

I am not sure I have the parasitic correct or not, hard to get a good pictures. They are eating and swiming, the clown is very old...over 20 yeara and the blue tang is 5+ years old. Both have never been sick. We also have a Vlamingii Tang we added on 9/4/22 that was in another tank for weeks without issues. The Vlamingii has a large white speck over his eye. Trying to catch these fish in the large tank is almost impossible to QT them. I read that we can use General Cure can be used in the main display and will not harm any corals...which we do not have any at time time. HumblyFish suggest to use the treatment calcendar which suggest to used the second dose on day 7, wait a few days and perform 25% water change. Really sorry for the bad pictures, maybe one day I can win the picture of the month and get a better lense for our iPhones. Thank you for the help.

1663799561171.png

OP
OP
ShepherdReefer

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like it could be ich/velvet on the clown and the tangs possibly flukes not sure if I am right. #fishmedic I would not treat the display

I don't like to treat the main display either, but just taking a picture of the blue tang, she/he will dive down under the lowest rock, laying on her/his side, and will stay there till you are gone...almost impossible. We tried to catch her/him when in the other tank, we had to remove all the rock. This rock is glued together (most of the rock is). There might be someone good at catching fish, not me. lol.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not really seeing velvet, and I’m not sold on ich either. Seems more like a lymphocytosis breakout.
When was the last fish added? And change in behavior?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't see velvet or ich. It might be multiple issues such as lympho and flukes.

Are they scratching, rubbing, yawning, breathing fast?

Prazipro is technically reef safe but can irritate nems and potentially kill feather dusters, bristleworms, etc.

OP
OP
ShepherdReefer

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't see velvet or ich. It might be multiple issues such as lympho and flukes.

Are they scratching, rubbing, yawning, breathing fast?

Prazipro is technically reef safe but can irritate nems and potentially kill feather dusters, bristleworms, etc.
Acting normal, they don’t appear to be.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Acting normal, they don’t appear to be.
Im suspecting Brooklynella with secondary bacteria. The clown is showing excess mucus around the face and other tangs showing bacterial - gram positive.
Reef safe choice will be Ruby rally pro which will take longer for brook but also address it as well

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today when we arrived home from work, we noticed some possible parasites on a few of our fish. Do not know where they came from, but that does not matter. Here is a photo of two fish. The clown has, what looks like warts and the blue tang, what looks like black dots. I guess they have flukes and black ick.
1663798813502.png
1663798866943.png

I am not sure I have the parasitic correct or not, hard to get a good pictures. They are eating and swiming, the clown is very old...over 20 yeara and the blue tang is 5+ years old. Both have never been sick. We also have a Vlamingii Tang we added on 9/4/22 that was in another tank for weeks without issues. The Vlamingii has a large white speck over his eye. Trying to catch these fish in the large tank is almost impossible to QT them. I read that we can use General Cure can be used in the main display and will not harm any corals...which we do not have any at time time. HumblyFish suggest to use the treatment calcendar which suggest to used the second dose on day 7, wait a few days and perform 25% water change. Really sorry for the bad pictures, maybe one day I can win the picture of the month and get a better lense for our iPhones. Thank you for the help.

1663799561171.png

I can't really tell from the photos, but the other symptoms and history of the fish does make flukes a possibility. I would not dose General Cure in a reef tank (because of the metronidazole in it). You can dose Prazipro with good aeration. However, if the issue is a protozoan (ich, velvet, Brooklynella) Prazipro won't help.

Jay

OP
OP
ShepherdReefer

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im suspecting Brooklynella with secondary bacteria. The clown is showing excess mucus around the face and other tangs showing bacterial - gram positive.
Reef safe choice will be Ruby rally pro which will take longer for brook but also address it as well

Thanks for the advice. I will try.

OP
OP
ShepherdReefer

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really tell from the photos, but the other symptoms and history of the fish does make flukes a possibility. I would not dose General Cure in a reef tank (because of the metronidazole in it). You can dose Prazipro with good aeration. However, if the issue is a protozoan (ich, velvet, Brooklynella) Prazipro won't help.

Jay

Sorry Jay for the photos, I only have the iPhone camera with the attachment lenses (clip-on) to help with the blue. The fish swim fast and are hard to catch a good picture; I will need to learn more about photoing fish.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back