Fish passed. Help with disease for future references

ChadLo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers... looking for some help. I had a yellow eyed kole tang that was starting to twitch but no scratching. It was subtle but still noticeable. Went to some lfs and observed some other kole tangs to see if there were similar attributes. Saw somewhat similar behavior but not the exact.

I continued to monitor Kole in quarantine. A couple days later, he started scratching. I checked out forums and believed it may have been gill flukes. Not knowing how many he had, i did a fw dip for 5 minutes not wanting too many flukes to detatch at once and to prevent him from bleeding to death. Matched the ph and temp for the dip.

I tested the water, all parameters were salinity 1.025, ph 8.2, trite 0, trate 0, dkh 9. I did a water change anyways. I then began treating with API general cure.

In treatment he was being himself. Swimming around and eating seaweed. It was day 4 of the treatment and in the morning i started noticing a minor spot that looked like raw skin that had been eaten through. I thought it may have been where a skin fluke detatched. He was kind of acting skittish but it is quarantine with his only rock to hide behind and in the squidward house ornament. Went about my business that day and a bit later in the day (6 hours) the hole had grown larger. This was after the lfs had closed.

Scouring the net, found no clue of what this illness was. Felt bad but i went to sleep as he was already in medicated water. Woke up 6 hours later and he had passed away with the hole at least 2 to 4 times the size.

Is there anything anyone would have suggested to do differently? At the beginning when he started scratching, i didn't have access to prazi pro (i now have it). I have attached some photos. One is the side of infection/ parasite/disease. The second is his other side post mortem. And the last is him 2 days ago. I have been reefing for almost a year and hate losing fish and even worse, hate not being able to learn from mistakes. Please let me know your opinions. Thanks reefers!
6c1f4999b5f947bc94862179a999256f.jpg
f2a258bb3e22052f2a2df5840bc8d98a.jpg
7df4e1cc07af0483e4625f5e21b9e8d5.jpg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a serious bacterial infection to me but I'm still a bit rusty on fish diseases.

Perhaps the #reefsquad may have some more information for you.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are likely correct on both the trigger and the complication. I would guess it is a gram negative bacteria infection which can be incredibly fast acting. If nitrifying bacteria could replicate as quickly as some of these gram negative bacteria we would cycle our tanks in hours, not weeks.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are likely correct on both the trigger and the complication. I would guess it is a gram negative bacteria infection which can be incredibly fast acting. If nitrifying bacteria could replicate as quickly as some of these gram negative bacteria we would cycle our tanks in hours, not weeks.
I agree with this 100%. Sorry for your loss, but if it makes you feel better I don’t think there is anything you could have done to lead to a different result.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this 100%. Sorry for your loss, but if it makes you feel better I don’t think there is anything you could have done to lead to a different result.
+2 Agree completely

sdcosta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something similar happen to my clown tang but I was able to medicate him fast enough with a 10 day furan2, kana plex and metroplex treatment. I have no idea what caused it either but his wound looked similar to what you are showing.

OP
OP
C

ChadLo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+2 Agree completely
Hey guys thank you so much for your responses! It definitely sucks but all we can do is live and learn. I thank you all for your knowledge and responses. I love that there is a place like this where we can all get help. I really appreciate it!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back