Fish Petting: Good for you but what about your fish?

Do you think "petting your fish" is a good or bad idea?

• Good idea

Votes: 109 18.9%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 234 40.6%
  • Not sure but in for the comments...

Votes: 234 40.6%

• Total voters

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you have fish in your tank that allows you to PET them?

I have clownfish. I would love to know what universe to go to where they would allow you to pet them, instead of viciously trying to rip your arm apart the moment they see you enter the room.

But I used to have some freshwater fish that would not only let me pet them, but hand feed them. But that was many years ago... I miss my Black Ghost Knife and my Fire Eel.

Heath ward

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly dont think it matters. If the fish allow it and you the aquarist are fine with it. Then it's fine, you gota think we literally pluck them from the ocean and put them in a glass box. If they are happy to come see you then show em love you,owe it to them and now have become their best friend.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang allows me to do the exact same thing as in the video. It makes it so easy to move my tang between tanks. I don't even have to take any rockwork out of the way or all that other stuff.

Whether it's good or not for the fish, I don't know.

However, my tang doesn't seem to care whether or not it's good for him. If I don't touch him, he isn't happy. If I forget to scratch one side, he'll make sure to show me which side I forgot to scratch too lol.

I thought about getting him a shrimp but he might just work that shrimp to death lol.

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any of my fish acted like they wanted to be petted, I'd pet them. My cleaner shrimp constantly crawls up my arm, I suppose trying to clean me, every time I'm working in the tank, but I'm a little scared he'll pinch me or something. It's a little tickly and weird and kinda creepy! Usually I freak out and pull away. I did have 2 sweet clowns that would eat flakes right out of my fingers, but none of my current fish so far have seemed like they want to be petted.

I agree with some of the others here - they can love us like we love them, so I say give them what they want. My hubby likes to tell everyone that I talk to the fish... he thinks it's funny, but I do talk to them. I even tell them goodnight when I head up to bed.

deplinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20160401_104226.jpg

Couldnt find a pic of my current neon but here is my first saltwater fish (may he RIP) hanging out. Both neons will just come and chill on my hand while I work in the tank. My original fire shrimp also would clean my hand but my current one has not hopped on yet.

None of the others let me pet them. I think if the fish initiates contact it's fine. Think neons just like trying to clean the big moving thing in the tank lol

My fire shrimp used to come over and inspect my hands and arms. They would run up and down my arms plucking away at who knows what. They were very curious creatures. One day when I was gluing a frag into place, one of the little guys ran over and grabbed a glob of super glue. He glued his claw shut. I worried about him for days until he shed. After that I was very careful to keep them away from the frags and the glue!

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome (except for the tail pulling part). Never seen a yellow tang get petted. They obviously don't mind getting petted and/or like it. Here's my dogface puffer. He definitely enjoys it.

I think it's a puffer thing. I pet my porcupine until he looks up!! I don't want to lose the tip of my finger.

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a baby horn shark at the shop I used to work at. Only way to get him to eat was to cup my hand and let him perch himself in my hand. Then feed him silver sides one by one. He was skidding of skewers and tongs for about 6 months

guysmiley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang allows me to do the exact same thing as in the video. It makes it so easy to move my tang between tanks. I don't even have to take any rockwork out of the way or all that other stuff.

Whether it's good or not for the fish, I don't know.

However, my tang doesn't seem to care whether or not it's good for him. If I don't touch him, he isn't happy. If I forget to scratch one side, he'll make sure to show me which side I forgot to scratch too lol.

I thought about getting him a shrimp but he might just work that shrimp to death lol.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool, The few fish I have don't care to be petted.
Potters angel, Cardinal, and Kole Tang, hide when I work on the tank.
My clown pair byte me LoL. Guess the jokes on me.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back