Fish prone to sickness: Share your experience

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's take a little time and share our experience with certain fish that are prone to sickness and disease.

I think for many of us one of the number one sick fish has to be the powder blue tang that is very prone to ich!

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What....... I love my Powder Blue...... tough as nails and has made it through a couple of Ich outbreaks.

Seriously though, Tangs and B-fly's in general being thin/compressed body species seem to be the Fish most susceptible to MI/MV. Higher energy or more territorial species being the highest risk of these two groups. Wrasses, especially those that sand bed sleep are prone to worms and flukes if not medicated by original Trans Shipper, Wholesale holding facility or proper home QT. Other Fish with low survivor rates are those from deep water, ie; most of the Anthias and many of the Flasher/Fairy Wrasses and seems many collectors will not/do not take time to properly decompress them. Ultimately and typically these Fish succumb to mystery deaths in our Reefs/QT's a short time after receiving them.

Great thread topic Rev and hopefully will encourage even more people to really educate themselves to the exact requirements to any Fish selected before purchasing. Then being properly equipped in their husbandry to have long term success.

Cheers, Todd

EDM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-clown fish eye sickness, (cure via medical drops but that can kill some inverts)
-angel fish and tangs, scratching themsleves against rock till they are scaleless
i try to avoid fish that are not hardy, with few exceptions, most wrasse are hardy, as are blenny/gobies

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Emperor Angel has had ich, worms, and is again in QT for somethign unknown. He had a tiny white thing hanging from his anus and eating. Was loosing all his color, all blotchy spots. Treating him with Parashield and he is looking really good again but still is not eating.
He used to eat garlic soaked pellets, some flakes, Nori strips and then started only eating nori strips and now has not eaten from what i have seen anything. But he looks much better than 5 days ago when I put him into QT. All his color is back.
My Majestic angel (adult), Black Ice Clowns (2), Baby Hippo Tangs (2) and Lawnmower Blenny all look great, eat well and swim all over happy in the DT. Water Params are great, Goniopora 4 of them doing great, Crocea Clam doing great and growing as well.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, every tang I have had come into my possession does not have Ich surprisingly. I have realized that I see a lot of Zebrasoma with HLLE.

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Emperor Angel has had ich, worms, and is again in QT for somethign unknown. He had a tiny white thing hanging from his anus and eating. Was loosing all his color, all blotchy spots. Treating him with Parashield and he is looking really good again but still is not eating.
He used to eat garlic soaked pellets, some flakes, Nori strips and then started only eating nori strips and now has not eaten from what i have seen anything. But he looks much better than 5 days ago when I put him into QT. All his color is back.
My Majestic angel (adult), Black Ice Clowns (2), Baby Hippo Tangs (2) and Lawnmower Blenny all look great, eat well and swim all over happy in the DT. Water Params are great, Goniopora 4 of them doing great, Crocea Clam doing great and growing as well.
My Emperor died.. :-( I could see him breathing slow all day, I did a 100% water change, used water from my DT. in the QT I could see like a red film, looked like it was blood of some sort. His Gill openings when breathing you could see his insides all red.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back