Fish qt setup

burtonboy182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a innovative marine Nuvo 30L which I'm not going to be using and was going to turn it into a fish QT. What should I put in the 2 back chambers filter floss, sponges like in HOB filters? Also could I put carbon and stuff in the back when I need to take chemicals out?

OR

I also have a 40 breeder collecting dust. Should I just use this one and HOB filter (aquaclear 70 or 110)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 40-B (was using a 75, but was also re-treating all the fish from my display) with an AquaClear 110 mounted on the short end, myself - often also run a powerhead to keep things stirred up, as detritus tends to collect below the filter's return. For the most part, I just run sponges (you can fit two, if you want) with bacterial colonies for ammonia control. Heater, PVC, meds as needed.

I'm not familiar with the Innovative Marine, but I should think that a sponge would be a good place to start.

~Bruce

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use sponges (or other biomedia) in the back chamber of a Nuvo 30L. You can also put carbon, poly filter, Cuprisorb, etc. back there. Just make sure you have water flowing through the media and it's not just sitting in still water.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that fish often come from larger facilities in salinity that's significantly lower than what we keep our reefs at ... I've been using premixed saltwater to thaw frozen food in, bringing the salinity up a little bit with each feeding.

~Bruce

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back