fish QT

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy a fish from a reputable dealer do you always quarantine, if so what is the best way to do that,thanks

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy a fish from a reputable dealer do you always quarantine, if so what is the best way to do that,thanks

I think it’s a good idea to always isolate a fish in an observation tank to get it acclimated and make sure it’s eating, no visible injuries etc. whether you treat prophylactically would depend on your comfort level with fish disease diagnosis.
Check this link for more info on how to qt:

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an often discussed question.

Depends a lot on what a reputable vendor is in your mind.
Lots of online vendors and brick and mortar places are highly reputable.. so much so that they will refund you if your fish dies within a few weeks. It's not a knock on them. Just that it should tell you something. They're not staking their reputation on disease/issue free livestock. Their rep is based on making it right.

Even they won't replace the other 6 fish you lost to a disease you introduced w their fish.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you set up a qt tank do you leave it set up or only for quarantines

When I started stocking fish, (close to a year ago) for my current 160 gallon tank I got two 45 gallon bow front tanks to QT multiple medium sized and more aggressive fish with the plan to convert them to display tanks after I was done with QT. When I was done with the larger fish I turned one into a freshwater planted tank and the other into a fish only saltwater tank and now I have two 10 gallon tanks and one 15 gallon for fish and invert QT and one 20 gallon tank for coral QT. I plan on keeping the 20 gallon as another tank, (not sure for what yet) and shutting down and storing the others for hospital tanks if needed.

Note: Just wanted to note that if you use the TTM as mentioned above, it is only good for ICH. You still need to worry about Flukes, Velvet, Uronema, Internal Parasites, Brook etc... There is a hybrid TTM that covers Flukes and Internal Parasites as well. Whatever you decide though, be sure to ask lots of questions along the way. Although I did lose a lot of fish along the way, this Forum has helped me save a lot as well.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back